Why do I need to store all data for modules that I do not own ?

Hello,

I'm a bit short of space on my Hard Drive, so I had a closer look to what is taking space. I found DCS taking a lot of space, especially the stable version for which I did not load all the terrains. So I had a closer look on DCS, and discover that both beta and stable use a lot of space for modules I do not own !

Eg :F14B 5,3 GB for beta and stable, China asset pack 4,4 GBx2,...

That means that each new plane or asset pack created will saturate our HDD...

I do not think that is will be sustainable...

Anyway, what is the purpose of having this elements installed ? When I puchase a module I will have to download a lot of thing anyway...

Capture.JPG.219785bb0fdf7d38adef09f08a815f6f.JPG

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Anyway, what is the purpose of having this elements installed ?.

Because playing missions with just one type of aircraft available would be quite boring ... even if I don't own the Tomcat, I do want to be able to have them flying on my missions, I do want them parked on the carrier, as a deck full of only hornets is too monotone.

Fortunately, hard drives are quite cheap these days, I started with dcs on a 120 gb sdd, then exchanged it for a 240 gb unit and now I have a 1 GB ssd that costed a little over US$100.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

This is only the stuff that's needed to show these models properly in missions and multiplayer. Basically just the models and external textures.

Although modules that have many super-high-res textures take indeed a lot of space.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

For one, you do own the Chinese asset pack. For another, whether you own a module or not, you still need to be able to see the units and the people who own and fly them. Thus, you need all the models and textures and sounds that come with them.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

But wait...Didn't I have a F14 and a F16 in game before theses modules ? And did they take so much place ?

Why shouldn't we have some "basic" low storage models/texture if we do not own the modules ? Most of the volume is high res texture (eg:it looks like 16 MB just for Phoenix pylons, C130 has only 42 MB of texture at global).

All the modules did not take the same room, also. For example there is nothing for the Ka50, the UH1 or the A10C...So why not the same for all modules ? I don't think that you can(t play with player having A10C, no ?

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

.... there is nothing for the Ka50, the UH1 or the A10C...So why not the same for all modules ? I don't think that you can(t play with player having A10C, no ?

Only recent modules are in the CoreMods folder ... the older ones are in the Bazar folder.

In any case, you are only delaying the inevitable .. when you are starting to worry about MB it is a sure sign that you need to upgrade your disk. :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The energy you spent complaining about something ridiculous could have been better utilised typing ''ssd'' into a market search engine somewhere.

Silicon Power 256GB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC Cache Performance Boost SATA III 2.5" 7mm (0.28") Internal Solid State Drive (SP256GBSS3A55S25) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RJS55D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_X8JFEbYFBAEW1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Have raised a thread about it a long time ago, and will say it again - I really don't think it is necessary to have multiple 256mb texture files, particularly for an aircraft you don't even own!

The entire MiG-21 texture library totals up to a ridiculous 6.2GB...:huh:. I have entire games that don't take up that much drive space.

Tex_Size.thumb.jpg.2e7a4f06a90c2f764b9cb00bdbaa0683.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Be happy that DCS doesn't work like new Il-2 series, which installs all complete DLCs on your PC together, whether you want them or not, only locking access to non-purchased items. If that was the case with DCS, each of us would be about 180GB+ short on drive space for its folder.

That being said, I wouldn't mind If non-purchased aircraft had only single generic livery available per each. National markings and bort numbers are separate layers anyway. These aircraft would still be visible when entering MP servers.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Be happy that DCS doesn't work like new Il-2 series, which installs all complete DLCs on your PC together, whether you want them or not, only locking access to non-purchased items. If that was the case with DCS, each of us would be about 180GB+ short on drive space for its folder.

That being said, I wouldn't mind If non-purchased aircraft had only single generic livery available per each. National markings and bort numbers are separate layers anyway. These aircraft would still be visible when entering MP servers.

Silver lining indeed. I am very happy that my entire IL-2 series install size is 1/3rd the size of my DCS install (53GB vs 153GB) with only a handful of DCS modules installed.

Just to put it in context - the entire library of 58 IL-2 aircraft textures, including an additional 10 4k skins installed for my fav aircraft, occupies the same space as 2 DCS Mig-21 skins (1GB-ish). :doh:.

So if ED actually exercised some sanity then you could indeed 'install all complete DLCs on your PC together, whether you want them or not'.

But it is just for info - as nothing is gonna change...including my M.2 drive...anytime soon.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also wonder how much in game memory is taken when flying with other planes having these textures...imagine if you fly with different pilots of F14, each having a different livery ?

• 2 years later...

In 2023 the GB's used by aircraft skins is just ridiculous. Still no way to just stick to the "default" livery per module not owned? If deleted manually the updater just downloads them again. This is going to bloat with the new modules  coming in 2023