[REPORTED]Aircraft stop obeying speed and altitude targets upon route change - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-01-2020, 05:58 AM   #1
meltingSnowdrift

Default [REPORTED]Aircraft stop obeying speed and altitude targets upon route change

When the command map is used to change the route of an aircraft group, the aircraft group stops obeying the speed set by the speed slider and the altitude set by the altitude slider. Aircraft in such a state appear to attempt to hold their current altitude while decelerating to stall speed. To make the aircraft group start obeying the speed slider again, the speed slider must be moved. Similarly, to make it obey the altitude slider again, the altitude slider must be moved.

Edit: The problem also occurs when an aircraft reaches the last waypoint of its route and begins orbiting.

I am assuming the behaviour described here is unintended because I cannot think of a reason for which such behaviour is preferable to aircraft continuing to obey their existing airspeed and altitude slider values when their routes are changed.

Last edited by meltingSnowdrift; 04-01-2020 at 07:24 PM.
meltingSnowdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Hi

do you have a track replay showing this behaviour?

Thanks
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #3
Shadow KT

Here is a track. Set new path... AI starts slowing down with speed on slider still 505MPH

Move slider 1 MPH, starts accelerating again.
Attached Files
File Type: trk AI speed setting.trk (313.2 KB, 8 views)

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow KT View Post
Here is a track. Set new path... AI starts slowing down with speed on slider still 505MPH

Move slider 1 MPH, starts accelerating again.
I might be missing the point, seems ok for me, if the waypoints are close together the aircraft will slow down to make the turns. If waypoints are well spaced speed and altitude can be kept.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Shadow KT

Here is a new track, displaying the same issue, plus a video

I was in a bit of hurry, so no hollywood production quality

https://streamable.com/13lfv9
Attached Files
File Type: trk AI speed setting.trk (134.8 KB, 9 views)

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Reported, thanks
Old 05-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
meltingSnowdrift

The bug has been shown to still occur at the end of CA-assigned routes. I have produced 3 different demonstrations of this, for which track files and videos are provided.

Demonstration 1 shows a case in which the aircraft had already reached its CA slider altitude before reaching the end of its route. The airspeed target is disobeyed when the aircraft reaches the end of the route. It is not obvious from this case alone that the altitude target is disobeyed. I think this is because the aircraft maintains the altitude it had at when it reached the end of the route.

Demonstration 2 shows a similar case which I am not sure is distinct or interesting, but which is included in case it is relevant.

Demonstration 3 shows a case in which it is obvious that the altitude slider is disobeyed at the end of a route. When the aircraft reaches the end of the route, it rather dramatically maneuvers to stop descending toward its target altitude.

Demonstration 1 video: https://youtu.be/F4Gw8eu8C5Y
Demonstration 2 video: https://youtu.be/VAL-yPP7yVQ
Demonstration 3 video: https://youtu.be/2pDv68PBBfQ
Attached Files
File Type: trk demonstration 3.trk (69.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: trk demonstration 2.trk (58.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: trk demonstration 1.trk (83.0 KB, 4 views)
meltingSnowdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

thanks I have reported an issue with height being ignored.