Pitching up problem

Dustbag1969

Hi,

I am relatively new to the F14 and I am having a frustrating problem that I don't have with other modules.

Sometimes during a flight the aircraft starts pitching up and I have to push the stick fully forward and trim fully forward just to keep the aircraft level.

When this happens I end up quitting the mission and starting again.

Because it only happens with the F14 I am sure it is just something I am doing wrong but I don't know what.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Dusty

We need more info. Pitching up can be caused by speed, gears down, flaps extended, DLC more lift command. Were you able to trim the aircraft to stay level with sitck centered? Were any of the autopilot modes/switches involved?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Hi,

Gear is up and flaps are not extended and occurs at any speed.

If the stick is centered the plane is pitched up at about 25°C and I cannot stay level using trim. Only way to stay level is with stick fully forward and with trim fully forward.

As far as I am aware autopilot is off but I have tried cycling on and off and it appears to make no difference.

I am still learning DCS and especially the F14 so could you explain the "DLC more lift command" just in case I have inadvertently done this?

Thanks

DLC is used only in landing config. You turn it on by using NWS/DLC button and control with DLC/maneuvering flaps wheel (both on the RL stick).

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#dlc-direct-lift-control

Another idea - do you have FFB stick? If not - try to disable FFB in the DCS options. Also make sure you don't have cross controls for pitch axis set for other device/axis.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Unbind the "aircraft pitch up" and "down" as well as "aircraft bank left" and "right". By default they are on arrow keys. It could be that you accidentally press these, and they stick for some reason. See if it helps.

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

The Cat will naturally pitch up as you offload weapons or increase speed, but nowhere near to the extent that trim alone won't fix it. Definitely need to rebind your pitch axis and check the curve.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

"DLC is used only in landing config. You turn it on by using NWS/DLC button and control with DLC/maneuvering flaps wheel (both on the RL stick)." - I will check this as I don't think I have accidently activated but will check.

Unbind the "aircraft pitch up" and "down" as well as "aircraft bank left" and "right". By default they are on arrow keys. It could be that you accidentally press these, and they stick for some reason. See if it helps. - Already done this

I had the same problem once and recalibrating the stick fixed it. Hit rctrl+enter and check that the stick is centered correctly. - I only see this when flying the F14 so I do not think it is a calibration issue. I can jump into the harrier or A10 and they do not have any issue

The Cat will naturally pitch up as you offload weapons or increase speed, but nowhere near to the extent that trim alone won't fix it. Definitely need to rebind your pitch axis and check the curve. - I will try rebinding but it seems strange that if I exit the mission and start again it flies normally for a while..

I suspect I am inadvertently switching something on so I will look closely at this DLC that has been mentioned. If activated would it be normal to make the aircraft pitch up so dramatically?

Thanks again

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

"DLC is used only in landing config. You turn it on by using NWS/DLC button and control with DLC/maneuvering flaps wheel (both on the RL stick)." - I will check this as I don't think I have accidently activated but will check.

Unbind the "aircraft pitch up" and "down" as well as "aircraft bank left" and "right". By default they are on arrow keys. It could be that you accidentally press these, and they stick for some reason. See if it helps. - Already done this

I had the same problem once and recalibrating the stick fixed it. Hit rctrl+enter and check that the stick is centered correctly. - I only see this when flying the F14 so I do not think it is a calibration issue. I can jump into the harrier or A10 and they do not have any issue

The Cat will naturally pitch up as you offload weapons or increase speed, but nowhere near to the extent that trim alone won't fix it. Definitely need to rebind your pitch axis and check the curve. - I will try rebinding but it seems strange that if I exit the mission and start again it flies normally for a while..

I suspect I am inadvertently switching something on so I will look closely at this DLC that has been mentioned. If activated would it be normal to make the aircraft pitch up so dramatically?

Thanks again

I think we can exclude DLC, because DLC will not extend without flaps full down at all.

Best is if you could show us a step by step video, with the control window open (ctrl + enter) and please clearly show which switches you switch and also show the AFCS panel, the SAS switches, etc.. If you can submit a track as well, that would help, too.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

No. Highly improbable. It'd have to be set as an axis and turned by the wheel all back to make any sudden effect and even then... not that much, and as said, only in landing config.

Unfortunately i've also had this issue recently, i uninstalled DCS. After reinstalling it was fine for several days but then on Sunday it happened again. I was doing the pitching deck mission. Again trim fully nose down stick fully forward just to keep level-ish.

I did have the alt hold switch on at the time.

It's hard to catch because it's so random.

I'm a Steam user if that has any bearing on it.

when this is happening, look at the little window under the parking brake lever to see where the lines are for the trim. it takes a bit to get it to go up and down on that instrument. also if your wings are not in auto , sweeping the wings at low speed then bringing them back out will cause lift that is hard to counter act with trim cause your speed is prob too low. when you take off from carrier make sure you put your flaps down, wait a sec and then adjust the trim to no more than 2 or 3, or your gonna have a violent pitch up on take off.

when you set the wings to bomb mode at lower speeds then hit auto, thats going to cause a pitch that cant be countered by trim because of your speed. you have to speed up and trim down. like everyone else said, alot of things can factor into this

I don't have FFB and I am not using vJoy (Using T16000 Hotas system)

I agree with Wrightie that it seems totally random and I might fly 2 or 3 missions with no problem and then the 4th mission its like the plane is possessed and wants to go into orbit.

I will try a few more tests tonight and see if I can determine under what condition it occurs as it is spoiling a fantastic aircraft for me.

After further testing and more reading I am convinced it is just me doing it wrong:doh:

I do not fully understand the autopilot system in the F14. It seems if I do not touch any of the autopilot controls I don't have any problems but as soon as I start using AP I start having problems.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone and they can explain what I might be doing wrong.

On the Hotas profile I am using I have

ALT HOLD ON/OFF - Think I understand this

AUTOPILOT TOGGLE - No idea what this is?

AP REF/NWS TOGGLE - Does this just switch autopilot ON/OFF

Thanks

Dusty

Autopilot toggle is the master switch, alt and heading hold do not work without it on. AP ref/NWS toggle tells the autopilot to hold current heading and/or altitude when in the air (single press, not toggle). When on the ground it turns nose wheel steering on and off.

Edited by r4y30n

the ap toggle switch also engages auto trim, im pretty sure iv had the problem youre talking about a few times, when you look outside on f2 the stabilators are in pitch up even with full forward stick! the only way ive found to fix it is simply hold nose down trim and itl correct it. look at the trim gauge too thatl read very high.

as far as i can tell it happens when the autotrim is on and i let the speed drop at high altitude, my guess is it keep adding more trim to keep the nose up until you end up in or close to a departure/flat spin.

i dont know if its a bug or simply bad piloting but its rare now im more used to the plane, i got a it quite a bit when i was new to it

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Wouldn't happen to have any other controllers hooked up, like a steering wheel that's hooked an axis automatically in your settings? Quite common, if they hiccup or jitter, they will take over the axis for a bit at their current position, until you wrestle it back.

look at the trim gauge too thatl read very high.

There's no trim gauge. It just shows current stabilators' positions.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#fuel-management-panel

And you're right - AP will do that - even if you bank too much it'll try to trim as much as possible to hold the attitude. If you forget about it and do crazy pilot stuff you can be surprised how can it end up.

@Dustbag1969:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#autopilot

Edited by draconus

This is a new issue for me, i've been flying the Tomcat since launch day without any problem until very recently, mid December maybe then this issue started.

I'm using a Hotas Warthog, TM mfd's, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals. I do have a steering wheel, pedals and a SKRS shifter plugged in also but have un bound all buttons and axis from them..... but perhaps i have left a stray button maybe. I'll check tonight. Doesn't happen with other modules though.

There's no trim gauge. It just shows current stabilators' positions.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#fuel-management-panel

And you're right - AP will do that - even if you bank too much it'll try to trim as much as possible to hold the attitude. If you forget about it and do crazy pilot stuff you can be surprised how can it end up.

@Dustbag1969:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#autopilot

Ok the stab position gauge then lol

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

My friend is having a similar problem but in the F-16. He can not get it to stop nosing down. I'll have to come back when the solution is posted. Just in case. XD

The solution was posted, OP did engage the AP, which semi-locked his controls into a pitch up.

As for the second report, it might be connected to stray inputs from racing wheel etc.. It is best to not have these connected at all imo.

As for the F16 - comparing to no one else having such issues, in almost 10/10 cases it is connected either to user error or faulty input devices or faulty mapping of input devices or unwanted inputs either produced by a faulty input device or due to double mapping etc..

A good test is: disconnect ALL your input devices, launch the caucasus free flight mission and see how it behaves. Disconnecting all devices also means all virtual devices such as vjoy etc..

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The solution was posted, OP did engage the AP, which semi-locked his controls into a pitch up.

As for the second report, it might be connected to stray inputs from racing wheel etc.. It is best to not have these connected at all imo.

As for the F16 - comparing to no one else having such issues, in almost 10/10 cases it is connected either to user error or faulty input devices or faulty mapping of input devices or unwanted inputs either produced by a faulty input device or due to double mapping etc..

A good test is: disconnect ALL your input devices, launch the caucasus free flight mission and see how it behaves. Disconnecting all devices also means all virtual devices such as vjoy etc..

TY :thumbup:

*Social Media*

twitch/sBryansGames

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]