F-14 Q1 2020 Mini-Update - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 01:52 AM   #1
Cobra847
3rd Party Developer

Default F-14 Q1 2020 Mini-Update

Heatblur F-14 - Q1 Mini-Update
Dear All,

Greetings to you all in 2020. We’ve had an amazing year in 2019 at Heatblur, which saw the launch of the F-14! We still can’t believe it - and all of it has been thanks to all of you, who have supported us throughout development and beyond. Thank you for a wonderful year!

2019 was no doubt a hectic year for the team. Not only with the launch of the F-14 itself, but with the post-launch roadmap, and trying to squeeze in as many improvements over the course of the year as possible. While we’re proud of what we’ve achieved and the state that the F-14 launched in, we had a number of unfortunate and significant misses towards the tail end of the year. These include:
  • The launch of the Forrestal
  • The launch of AIM-54 improvements and TWS-A
  • The launch of crew-position overhauls
  • Launch of JESTER LANTIRN
  • ..a few other more minor bits and bobs

While there are numerous causes for these features being delayed, the primary reason has been the interwoven and difficult nature of some of these additions.

Both AIM-54 additions and TWS-A were developed together, in one leading edge development branch that was very close to launch last year.
Unfortunately, we suffered a large setback with the new missile API in DCS not working as intended in Multiplayer.
Decoupling all of the features that were to launch combined together proved an insurmountable task, and we hectically backtracked and pushed stripped down builds of the F-14 in the last patches of 2019.

These kinds of issues are frustrating to deal with. We’re now working to decouple the features that are working properly from each other and begin to get the rollout of the above features back on track.
We’ve also involved our partners at Eagle Dynamics with regards to the missile API, but we unfortunately cannot offer any ETA on the AIM-54 changes and associated system issues.

Our current major efforts are focused almost exclusively on the above, and we intend to begin shipping features throughout Q1.

We’ll soon be coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the launch of the F-14; and we intend it to be a year of product improvements that we can stand behind and are proud of.
Beyond that; we do not want to see a second Tomcat anniversary without a completed product.

As an addendum, for the first time in a long time, we decided to take some quality time off from development over the holidays.
We haven’t properly done so in many years; and approaching 2020 in a recharged state will allow us to more effectively deliver on our roadmap.

Stay tuned for more information soon. We’ll also be starting to discuss the F-14A much more thoroughly as we steam through Q1.

Sincerely,
Heatblur F-14 Team

Founder & Lead Artist
Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
Cobra847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:19 AM   #2
Mongoose McMoose

Will the Forrestal contain any of the ED Super Carrier tech like deck crew etc?
Mongoose McMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:45 AM   #3
StandingCow

Glad you guys took some time off, often times consumers and sadly some companies expect devs to be some sort of superhumans that work almost 24/7 with no time off so they can get their new toy. Crunch and overworking is a very bad thing that nobody should wish on others.

Looking forward to what comes from HB in 2020, you guys are amazing!

~Moo
StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:54 AM   #4
=BJM=

Question Thank you! Some additional questions....

Great update and thank you! Very exciting times ahead for the Tomcat!
The Forrestal looks incredible and it's nice to see the A-6 make an appearance as well.

Could we maybe get a list of what is still to be implemented, on top of the big ticket items?

For example:
Updated/finished B cockpit instruments and details
Improved external lighting
Improved/additional wing vapor effects
Additional official skins for the B
Additional Jester callouts and comms

One big question in regards to the Forrestal...if the Supercarrier is purchased, will it's comms/ATC work with the Forrestal as well?

Thank you again for the Tomcat and all the incredible work you do!
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Thanks a lot for the update. Software development is often like this: lot of work under the hood with no "visible" results, or one that can be shown off to the customers, but this is just as important nonetheless.

Am I wrong to get the feeling that we probably won't see the Forrestal in Q1, and the "A" model before Q3-ish? Just to manage expectations...
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:55 AM   #6
Tread_Head57

Hmmm...the picture at the top of your post looks just like an A-6 Intruder wing root.
Tread_Head57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:17 AM   #7
Swordsman422

Good catch Tread Head. That is definately the port side wing root of an A-6 Intruder. The vent below the canopy is a dead giveaway. It might be a KA-6D.

CPU: i7-7700k 4.5 GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080ti
HD: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB 15k RPM HDD
Swordsman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:29 AM   #8
MuldoonX9

Thanks for the update and great to hear! Happy to know you all took time off to recharge. I've been burned out by crunch and long hours before so I hope y'all stay healthy in 2020!
MuldoonX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:35 AM   #9
SkillyJ

I love the little sneak peak of the Intruder, I still pray every day that we'll see it as your next module!

I hope your vacations all went well and I really look forward to what you give us in the future.
SkillyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:44 AM   #10
Uxi

So is TWS Auto still bound to the Phoenix or can it be released with the Phoenix as it is?

Are there new targets for F-14A and Forrestal?
---
Samsung Odyssey+ WMR HMD; VKB Gunfighter 2 with MCG Pro + T-rudder, Virpil T-50CM v3 Throttle
Uxi is offline   Reply With Quote