An Engineer's Take on the VKB Gunfighter MCG Pro Mk. II - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Aurelius

Default An Engineer's Take on the VKB Gunfighter MCG Pro Mk. II

Here in the DCS forums, there are several equipment reviews by actual pilots and a very few reviews by actual engineers, and no reviews that I know of from engineers (or engineers that teach in academia) who are also pilots, LOL. I am going to try and break that trend by reviewing several high-end products in the coming months. First up on the block is a fairly in-depth look at the Gunfighter MCG Pro Mk. II:

http://jaytheskepticalengineer.com/f...mcg-pro-mk-ii/

A few of you have bugged me to finish it and I finally did. As it discusses several topics that are not strictly limited to the GF MCG Pro itself, I hope it serves to be insightful for everyone considering a higher-end joystick. If anyone notices any inaccuracies or problems, please detail them in this thread and I will promptly update my review and give credit. AeroGator or rrohde, when you see this and have a chance to craft a response, I will put that at the bottom of the review so that everyone can see VKB's official input.

I am also indebted to forum member and all around good guy, dburne, who did his own excellent review of the GF MCG Pro here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216640

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti - VKB GF MCG Pro - Virpil T-50CM Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

If you have a chance, give Calculus or Differential Equations a try!

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Last edited by Aurelius; 11-13-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Milou

Very interesting review Jay. Pretty long, but I enjoy reading properly researched and in depth articles to superficial advertorials that you get from so many of the people getting freebies to "test" online. Particularly interested in the discussion on breakout forces and your custom springs.

I currently own a WarBRD used with a Warthog grip. I initially was on the preorder list for Winwing's Hornet HOTAS system. However, I cancelled my order because 1) I was unhappy regarding the lack of communication with customers. (Missing deadlines is one thing, but missing deadlines and then not communicating with customers that have already paid is a no-no). 2) I was concerned about unrealistic break-out forces on the Super Libra joystick base. 3) Not impressed by their production quality control which looked poor compared to their prototype.

Instead I am now weighing the option of buying a T/M Hornet grip for Harrier / Hornet and using that with my WarBRD (just swapping out grips occasionally). Otherwise getting a Virpil T-50CM2 base with an extension to use with the Hornet grip and keeping the Warthog/WarBRD as a backup. But you seem unimpressed by the T-50CM2 in your Gunfighter review. Can you elaborate? Would you just stick with the WarBRD?

I was also likely to buy a gunfighter 3 base, extension and a Tomcat grip from VKB when that drops (hopefully later this month).
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). Virpil WarBRD base with T/M Warthog grip, Slaw Viper RX.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Aurelius

I tend to go in the opposite direction of so many American pilots here in the forums (even though I am American, LOL). They often prefer the metal Warthog grip (bc it matches up to the A-10 and the Viper and is a closer fit for other American aircraft) with a stiffer jet feel. I do fly jets often but I prefer a much more nimble stick that does well with everything from biplanes to the most modern airframes. I test a great deal of stuff but I only have room on my desk for one actual stick and I need that to work across the widest range of airframes possible. For myself only, I would never spend cash on individual grips to use, say, only with the Tomcat or the Hornet. I also prefer a very nimble stick bc my favorite type of flying is dueling other flyers online. In that arena, light breakout forces and extreme precision are needed.

With that disclosure out of the way, I would prefer using TM's Hornet grip with the WarBRD base if I was looking for the best Hornet/Harrier combo. It is not quite up to the precision of the Gunfighter MCG Pro but it is very close. It is also all metal and has that serious 'jet' feel that so many American enthusiasts would enjoy. I would go with that option over the Virpil T-50CM2 option that just feels too stiff to me (even with weaker springs). The WarBRD base is not quite as high end as the GF gimbal but it is a plug and play (or screw and play, LOL) option for the Warthog grip. And it is very easy to then set up in TARGET. It is also more responsive and can be adjusted to have lighter breakout force than the T-50CM2 base.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti - VKB GF MCG Pro - Virpil T-50CM Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

Last edited by Aurelius; 11-14-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
dburne
Veteran

Nice review!
Thanks for the nod also!
Still loving my GF Pro!

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
With that disclosure out of the way, I would prefer using TM's Hornet grip with the WarBRD base if I was looking for the best Hornet/Harrier combo. It is not quite up to the precision of the Gunfighter MCG Pro but it is very close. It is also all metal and has that serious 'jet' feel that so many American enthusiasts would enjoy. I would go with that option over the Virpil T-50CM2 option that just feels too stiff to me (even with weaker springs). The WarBRD base is not quite as high end as the GF gimbal but it is a plug and play (or screw and play, LOL) option for the Warthog grip. And it is very easy to then set up in TARGET. It is also more responsive and can be adjusted to have lighter breakout force than the T-50CM2 base.
Thanks Jay.
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). Virpil WarBRD base with T/M Warthog grip, Slaw Viper RX.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
- Voight -

Not only American pilots prefer the Thrustmaster sticks over the others. Me too as a German pilot love the Thrustmaster sticks. Especially in VR, where you only feel the stick, the metal grip and high build quality of the Thrustmaster sticks give me a much better feeling for flying a "real" jet, whereas the plastic toy feeling of the Virpil sticks has got some translation into the overall VR experience.

The Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick surely is a perfect match for the Hornet, as well for a F-15 or AV8B, but it fits too very well for the F-5E and also for the F-14B due to its flexibility in mapping the functions.

The Virpil T50-CM2 stick I use only for the Russian MiG21 and KA-50, even I don´t like the plastic toy feeling of it. The conceptual design of the T50-CM2 does feel much more appropriate to meet the different layout concepts of most Russian models compared to the NATO models.
When the KA-50 or the MiG21 has got their graphical update, I maybe put some duct tape or some leather around the T50-CM2 stick before using it with these modules again.
i7 5820k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI X99A SLI Plus | MSI RTX 2080Ti | 32GB DDR4 HyperX Predator Ram @3333MHz| Samsung EVO 500GB SSD + Samsung EVO 1TB SSD| TM Warthog, TDC slew mod + T-50CM2 grip, T-50CM2 base, Extension | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Speedmaster Flight Seat | Soundblaster Z, Stereo Studio Speaker, 100Watt Subwoofer + Reckhorn Amplifier | Pimax 5k+ | WarBRD base + TM F/A 18 Grip ( for F-14B ) | dual BlackHog b-explorer | TM Cougar MFDs

Last edited by - Voight -; 11-13-2019 at 01:41 PM.
- Voight - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Excelent review.

"...and the Thrustmaster Warthog compatible MCG TM grip."

For what is know they canceled this version, apparently because will have little interest.
What Warthog owner will buy a (plastic) MCG TM grip for just emulate Warthog grip, without add nothing new (e.g. analog axes), a dozen of die hard MiG-21/Ka-50 fans?

"I really wish VKB (and Virpil) would take a long close look at how CH Products manufactures the switches used in their prosumer aviation products like the CHF."

Ironically, in early VPC T50 grip HAT's are copy of CH HAT's, latter they change for Alps switches.

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 11-13-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
rrohde
Veteran

@Aurelius: Fantastic write up with great insights. Thanks for sharing.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter /w SCG-R Premium (side mount)

rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
Aurelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
@Aurelius: Fantastic write up with great insights. Thanks for sharing.
Any time I do a revew rrohde, I will always allow the manufacturer to put in their official response/rebuttal out of fairness. If you or AeroGator come up with VKB's comments, please PM them to me here in the forums. I will include them down at the bottom. S!

Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #10
Aurelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
Excelent review.

"...and the Thrustmaster Warthog compatible MCG TM grip."

For what is know they canceled this version, apparently because will have little interest.
What Warthog owner will buy a (plastic) MCG TM grip for just emulate Warthog grip, without add nothing new (e.g. analog axes), a dozen of die hard MiG-21/Ka-50 fans?

"I really wish VKB (and Virpil) would take a long close look at how CH Products manufactures the switches used in their prosumer aviation products like the CHF."

Ironically, in early VPC T50 grip HAT's are copy of CH HAT's, latter they change for Alps switches.
ALPS switches are industrial and good quality but IMHO, not up to the level of CH at least with what I have actually seen (and heard).