CAT I/III Loading

Sierra99

Compared to the other F16 sim, the DCS F16 seems very slow to roll in CAT III. Wonder which is more realistic.

At this time, there doesn't seem to be any point in flying with CAT III

I don't have the figure yet under the eyes .... but something you can try to start with, is to check the relation between CATI and CATIII

In CATI, maximum roll rate is commanded when:

- AOA <15°

- Airspeed > 250 knots

... note the roll rate you have in those conditions on a level flight (maybe TacView telemetry may help? ... but a stopwatch could also be enough.)

Then switch into CATIII, in the same AOA and airspeed conditions, resulting roll rate should be approximatively 60% of the CATI max roll rate.

It doesn't mean that CATI max roll rate is correct, but at least (if my understandings are correct) you can check that relationship between CATI & III are rather accurate.

But to be honest, I would rather ask a good friend about it who worked a lot on that subject ... I am a pilot, not an engineer.

Regards.

We have the no-kidding rate charts for CAT III and they match.

Thanks

Had few minutes free, so I did the test.

Track is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/phe2yckgp0xgq3z/Tacview-20191201-220944-DCS-F-16C%20-%20Caucasus%20-%20Takeoff.zip.rar?dl=0

Do not hesitate to do it on your side to confirm or invalidate my results.

- Starting the Quick Start , "Takeoff" mission.

- Ask Crew Chief to set my a/c empty (no loadout, full internal fuel).

- Taking off, and fly 5000ft/MSL to do the test between 450-500KCAS.

Stating a very gentle climb to compensate the resulting nose down attitude after the roll competed, stop pitch motion, then initial full roll deflection with no pitch inputs.

- Not counting the first 360° to let the roll rate properly establish at its max rate.

- Then count two complete 360°

Two set up in CAT I and two set up in CAT III.

CAT I : I count about 3s to perform 2x360° => 720/3 = 240°/s

CAT III : I count about 8s to perform 2x360° => 720/8 = 90°/s

TacView telemetry is giving roughly the same result by sowing a 215-225°/s during CATI set up. And 90°/s during CAT III set up. (TacVew may be not 100% either, at least, it is not on all sims).

NASA model don't include any CAT III evaluations, so I don't know which charts are mentioned (?) But to me, considering the -1, the described relationship between CAT I or III, we are not within the 40% of RRT reduction given by the -1.

I also did the same test in landing gain* by using the Man Flap Ext**. Results gives a higher RRT than in cruise gain in CAT III. Something around 120°/s. (?) ...

... ***

Note also that I had a huge pitch LCO (bug I guess?) with flaps manually extended around 700KCAS**.

Regards.

* EDIT: LG gain should be triggered by the LG handle down position rather than the landing gear position itself , and lollipop should lite on as soon as any of the LG doors are not closed and locked (not just when main MLG is in transfer).

** Manual flaps extension should not be possible above a given airspeed (don't have the figures in mind, I don't think it is a fixed value , rather a curve or a linear function.) But for sure, manual extension at +400 - 700KCAS should not be possible.

*** ... enough for today, I have to go to sleep.

Cheers. bye_2.gif

Edited by Dee-Jay

Hi!

Yep. it should through the "Caution Panel" => "STORES CONFIG" light.

caution-on.jpgRegards.

Thank You! :thumbup:

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

We have the no-kidding rate charts for CAT III and they match.

Thanks

With all due respect, they do not match and the DCS Viper has a slow roll rate by ~69%. I'd expect to see closer to that ~169 degree roll rate in the CT2 config CAT III in the game but last night tried her out and certainly did not. I suggest reevaluating the CAT III roll rate parameters for DCS.

For the dudes playing DCS, you dont have to worry about over-G on your bombs and stuff so just leave the switch CAT I and dont worry about it. I'd rather them get everything in the ICP functional and just fly the jet CAT I in DCS with a full bomb load. The benefit of the game is, its a game and you dont have to worry about ops limits, otherwise the majority of DCS players would be overspeeding their tanks and TGP.

• ED Team
With all due respect, they do not match and the DCS Viper has a slow roll rate by ~69%. I'd expect to see closer to that ~169 degree roll rate in the CT2 config CAT III in the game but last night tried her out and certainly did not. I suggest reevaluating the CAT III roll rate parameters for DCS.

For the dudes playing DCS, you dont have to worry about over-G on your bombs and stuff so just leave the switch CAT I and dont worry about it. I'd rather them get everything in the ICP functional and just fly the jet CAT I in DCS with a full bomb load. The benefit of the game is, its a game and you dont have to worry about ops limits, otherwise the majority of DCS players would be overspeeding their tanks and TGP.

I've asked our project lead to re-examine.

Thanks

The benefit of the game is, its a game and you dont have to worry about ops limits, otherwise the majority of DCS players would be overspeeding their tanks and TGP.

Sorry, but that’s the primary reason I’m here. My expectation is that ED model overspeed/overweight/over G effects and the limitations various loadouts place on an aircraft. Such things are integral to a full fidelity simulation. Yes, currently you can fly around in Cat I without a care in the world, but you shouldn’t be able to (WIP I hope). There are much better games out there if I just wanted to *pew pew* all over the sky without worrying about aerodynamic loads, cockpit setup, or stores configurations.

Edited by SonofEil
  • Like 1

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

• 2 months later...
I've asked our project lead to re-examine.

Thanks

Hello Wags !

Any news about that primary subject ?

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

• 5 months later...

Hi !

Any news on the CATIII roll rate ?

We are still stuck at about -60% roll rate reduction between CATI and CATIII instead of -40% (as per Dash-1). :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Have you reached -40% in game ?

My yesterday test:

Level flight, 470knt IAS 6500ft, only full roll applied:

CATI=~225°/s

CATIII=~90°/s

--> -60%

Level flight, 300knt IAS 6500ft, only full roll applied:

CATI=~180°/s

CATIII=~73°/s

--> -60%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Has anyone noticed that switching between cat 1 and cat 3 interrupts your alignment?

Also the aircraft pitches down after putting the gear up during takeoff in cat 3 I didn't notice that in cat 1.

I did notice that it did that on some take offs, but never pegged it to CAT 1 or 3. Interesting discovery. I wonder if it's supposed to do that.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz (Turbo's to 4.0GHz) ¦ x2 8GB Gskill Trident Z DDR4-3000 ¦EVGA GTX 1070 ¦ Asus prime X370-Pro ATX AM4 ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog ¦ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ Track IR

FC3 ¦ F5 ¦ M2000C ¦ AV8B ¦ A10C ¦ F18C ¦ F16C ¦ SA432 ¦ UH1H ¦ MI8 ¦ KA50 ¦ NEVADA ¦ CAUCASUS ¦ PERSIAN GULF ¦ NORMANDY ¦ Supercarrier |

Wish List:

RAF Tornado GR4

RAF CH-47 Chinook Mk6

RAF Hawker Typhoon (Warbird)

http://www.twitch.tv/uncappingbadger

• 2 weeks later...

NASA model don't include any CAT III evaluations, so I don't know which charts are mentioned (?) But to me, considering the -1, the described relationship between CAT I or III, we are not within the 40% of RRT reduction given by the -1.

The exact value can be found in the DFLCS block diagram.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4058809&postcount=3

The graph is too blurry and I cannot really tell if it's 130 or 134. But this value is exactly 40% of 324 deg/s, which is the maximum commandable roll rate in DFLCS.

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

Yes, I have flown other sims which had full fidelity CatI/III modeling and would light up the caution board if you over G'd. That might be a real challenge for new players. That level of realism will be welcome to the hardcore players.

I did some flying in CATIII recently and I dont think its necessarily off as whole. I believe where the issue lies is the 324 deg/sec roll rate.

Regardless of CATI/III, the INITIAL maximum roll rate should be 324 deg/sec.

After 90 degrees of roll, the system will reduce roll rate according to AOA or CAT condition. You may be in a clean jet but roll rate is reduced due to AOA or in a CATIII stores config and the roll rate is reduced due to loadout.

To me it feels as if the CATIII switch currently just cuts off 40% of roll rate without taking into consideration the initial roll rate.

Then again, the system may not be able to overcome the initial inertia needed to get a fully loaded CATIII config to roll 324 deg/sec through 90 degrees or may not be able to stop the inertia of the same CATIII config at that roll rate to reduce it sufficiently, hence a lower than 324 deg/sec initial roll rate.

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

I did some flying in CATIII recently and I dont think its necessarily off as whole. I believe where the issue lies is the 324 deg/sec roll rate.

Regardless of CATI/III, the INITIAL maximum roll rate should be 324 deg/sec.

After 90 degrees of roll, the system will reduce roll rate according to AOA or CAT condition. You may be in a clean jet but roll rate is reduced due to AOA or in a CATIII stores config and the roll rate is reduced due to loadout.

To me it feels as if the CATIII switch currently just cuts off 40% of roll rate without taking into consideration the initial roll rate.

Then again, the system may not be able to overcome the initial inertia needed to get a fully loaded CATIII config to roll 324 deg/sec through 90 degrees or may not be able to stop the inertia of the same CATIII config at that roll rate to reduce it sufficiently, hence a lower than 324 deg/sec initial roll rate.

I wonder where did you find that stuff about the initial 90degrees of roll?? As far as i am concerned CATIII would just cut roll rate with 40%.

@Bouli306

There is a wealth of information from back in the day, a website called Code One Magazine. Its been around since the late 90s at least. Way back in the day when I was flying Mac Falcon 4 lol.

An article called Semper Viper on that website is where the information was obtained long ago.

Its an excellent read, although the website doesnt publish the article in its entirety online, you can download a pdf copy. The only problem is the text isnt the easiest to read in the pdf file so long reading hurts the eyes.

Link here

https://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=174

The initial roll rate information is in the 14th paragraph down from the top.

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

Here is a download link for the pdf file

https://www.codeonemagazine.com/imag...49318_9999.pdf