Su-17M4 (SU-22) Full Fidelity Research for Dev Started - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #11
aw33com

I read his post and he says there is no interest in the project. Not sure what that means. No interest by clients to fly it?

If there is like few months of work left and Fragger could help me (explain stuff in English that is) along the way, maybe I could take it over. But only if the community is interested in it.

It would be a nice start for me before I go after SU-17.
aw33com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #12
SVKSniper
ED Testers Team

Last edited by SVKSniper; 08-21-2019 at 09:22 PM.
SVKSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:38 AM   #13
aw33com

Some progress. I was able to make a flyable aircraft using someone else's EDMs (cockpit and external). I setup as much as I knew, plus I setup all graphics and sounds in DCS. So far so good. I even plugged in SU-25T cockpit in it for fun as well and flew with SU-57 flight model
It seems I have a good grasp of how the environment works and I can work now.

Now the question to you is this. What is next? I'm assuming external modeling of Su-17. This is where the steps are going to start for me. I have never done any kind of modeling. It does not scar me, but I just don't want to go in the wrong direction. Hence my questions to you:

1. If I need to build an external model now, what are the steps in doing so? I have all the software.

2. Is there an external model somewhere already?

3. How do I get the proportions and all the details? Do I scan/copy it somehow of pictures/documents?

4. What is the best way to develop the model? Should I build 1 part or build it in components in 3d Max and somehow marry the parts at the end?

5. Anything special I need for the development of the model besides 3d Max, ModelViewer, EDM plugin?

Any help would be appreciated to start me off. I'll figure out the rest.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #14
Tread_Head57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw33com View Post
Some progress. I was able to make a flyable aircraft using someone else's EDMs (cockpit and external). I setup as much as I knew, plus I setup all graphics and sounds in DCS. So far so good. I even plugged in SU-25T cockpit in it for fun as well and flew with SU-57 flight model

Now the question to you is this. What is next? I'm assuming external modeling of Su-17. This is where the steps are going to start for me. I have never done any kind of modeling. It does not scar me, but I just don't want to go in the wrong direction. Hence my questions to you:

1. If I need to build an external model now, what are the steps in doing so? I have all the software.

2. Is there an external model somewhere already?

3. How do I get the proportions and all the details? Do I scan/copy it somehow of pictures/documents?

4. What is the best way to develop the model? Should I build 1 part or build it in components in 3d Max and somehow marry the parts at the end?

5. Anything special I need for the development of the model besides 3d Max, ModelViewer, EDM plugin?

Any help would be appreciated to start me off. I'll figure out the rest.
Bless your heart. If you have to ask these questions, you're not ready to produce a full-fidelity aircraft. It takes a team of pros years to make one. I recommend you start small....a specific vehicle/ship/weapon not currently in game. Trying to go from zero to a full-up module by yourself, with zero experience, is guaranteed to end in frustration and failure. Many have tried, those that succeeded had a full team and years of development time.
Tread_Head57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
MobiSev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread_Head57 View Post
Bless your heart. If you have to ask these questions, you're not ready to produce a full-fidelity aircraft. It takes a team of pros years to make one. I recommend you start small....a specific vehicle/ship/weapon not currently in game. Trying to go from zero to a full-up module by yourself, with zero experience, is guaranteed to end in frustration and failure. Many have tried, those that succeeded had a full team and years of development time.
He already said he knows how to do all the coding aspects, just not the 3D modeling aspect as stated in his first post. So, if he can get that down, or at least find someone who knows how to do it, he should well be on his way to making a full module.

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B
MobiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #16
MobiSev

Quote:
Also, are you the 33COM in DDCS?

Old 08-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #17
aw33com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiSev View Post
Also, are you the 33COM in DDCS?

Yeah, are you Mobius?

Last edited by aw33com; 08-16-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #18
MobiSev

Quote:
Yeah, are you Mobious?
yep lol I'm Mobius

Old 08-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #19
MobiSev

Here's a link to the manuals for the Su-17M4 / Su-22

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=247738

They are in Russian, not English, unfortunately. Also, they are not free

Old 08-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #20
aw33com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiSev View Post
Here's a link to the manuals for the Su-17M4 / Su-22

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=247738

They are in Russian, not English, unfortunately. Also, they are not free

I knew I could count on you
You made my day, I'm so happy.

I don't have PG so I took a break from DDCS and started doing this.
Never done 3d modeling, but I already started doing a model of a simple airplane. It's coming out, but I'm obviously improvising a bit.

Going to Florida in 6 days. Once I come back I'll finish the simple P-47 model. If it comes out I'll post and ask for advice on how to attack Su-22 modeling.

Thanks for now.