Problems with trimmer - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 12:38 AM   #1
raelias

Default Problems with trimmer

Hi!

So I'm using the Warthog and Center Trimmer posiiton option

I seems that when i trim the KA50 (say i got it stoped in the position i wanted, stable) when i press trim and recenter the stick, its like i trimmed way more to the side i had the stick when i pressed the button, looks like i have to press the button with way lower stick movement than what i needed to hold the aircraft in whatever attitude i wanted, is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II
raelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:46 AM   #2
3WA

Yeah, it's the way the trimmer works. Someone explained in detail why the slight jump happened, long ago, but I can't remember where.

Hold the trimmer button down, get the copter to where you want (stable), then let the trimmer button go. Let your stick go back to center. Now you get no jump.

Last edited by 3WA; 07-30-2019 at 12:50 AM.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3WA View Post
Hold the trimmer button down, get the copter to where you want (stable), then let the trimmer button go. Let your stick go back to center. Now you get no jump.
This!

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
raelias

Quote:
Yeah, it's the way the trimmer works. Someone explained in detail why the slight jump happened, long ago, but I can't remember where.

I'll try this and get back to you thanks! It's weird cause the UH1 works flawlessly, Also i Forgot to mention AP channels are usually on, if it's all of I don't get the jump weirdness

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II
Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
3WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelias View Post
...Also i Forgot to mention AP channels are usually on, if it's all of I don't get the jump weirdness

Lol, actually that's a bug. They're actually all OFF. The bug reversed the lights, so now if the light is on, on the AP channel, it's actually off. Someone said they fixed this, but it isn't fixed on my side yet. So, if all your AP channel buttons are lighted, they are actually all off. If they're not lighted, they're on.

At least until the bug is fixed. That's why your not getting any jump when they're "on".
Old 07-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
raelias

Quote:
Lol, actually that's a bug. They're actually all OFF. The bug reversed the lights, so now if the light is on, on the AP channel, it's actually off. Someone said they fixed this, but it isn't fixed on my side yet. So, if all your AP channel buttons are lighted, they are actually all off. If they're not lighted, they're on.

At least until the bug is fixed. That's why your not getting any jump when they're "on".

Oh yeah I'm aware, i mean the AP is actually on ON and i get the jump when i click the trimmer, works fine with ap off

Old 07-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
3WA

Oh, ok. Yeah, if all your AP channels are off, then your AP is essentially off, so clicking the trimmer isn't going to do anything. There are no AP channels for the trimmer to act on.

Without the AP channels, there is no 20% control by the helicopter on the cyclic and collective ( I assume it's on the collective as well because of altitude AP channel ).

I wish I could find that long explanation someone gave on why there is a jump when you click, but it's essentially the hydraulic controls changing position, or something like that. I guess when you are holding the trimmer down, they are changing as you have the button down, and then click in place when you let up.

Last edited by 3WA; 07-30-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
fudabidu

"then your AP is essentially off, so clicking the trimmer isn't going to do anything" - That's not correct.

The trimmer button has 2 functions:
- setting the attitude for the AP
- actually trimming the cyclic (rotors)
The latter will still work with the autopilot completely disabled.
fudabidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
3WA

Hmm, something to debate. I've looked through the manual trying to find info on this, but there is nothing about what happens when you turn the AP channels off.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
fudabidu

What's happening is the autopilot temporarily disengaging when you press the trimmer button.

Let's say you've trimmed the nose down 5° for forward flight and you want to come to a hover. As you pull up the nose to slow down the AP will still try to maintain that -5° pitch and basically negate some of your input (up to 10%). Pressing the trimmer will disable the AP and in turn the 10% nose down input it was applying, causing the nose to jump.
This is what's often reffered to as "fighting the trim/AP" and applies to all AP channels (however altitude hold works with a handle on the collective, not the trimmer on the stick)

To avoid that try getting into the habit of holding the trimmer until you're done maneuvering. That's the way of doing it and you'll find the AP to be much more cooperative.
fudabidu is offline   Reply With Quote