Missile Speed gate and Missile Options

Salty

What do Missile options do? I see PH ACT and SP PD. I assume that means Sparrow Pulse Doppler and Phoenix Active, but what does that mean? Is it saying that PH ACT has the seeker go active once it's off the rail? and when would SP PD be used? Lastly, what are the options on Missle Speed Gate for with Wide, Nose, Narrow, etc?

634f461a7d1d6167db876cc72578b87c.png

That was some of the best flying I've seen to date...right up to the part where you got killed

Short answer? In DCS, they don't currently do anything unfortunately.

Long answer:

The MSL options switch allows the RIO to set the AIM-7 to PD mode or the Phoenix to active mode.

PD mode for the AIM-7 allows the newer versions to be guided with pulse doppler giving greater range.

Active for the AIM-54 tells the missile to go active immediately after launch, in effect reducing it's range greatly (this is normally not needed as the pulse modes does this automatically and the pd modes do this when at short range).

The missile speed gate configures the missiles acquisition gate, allowing the RIO to fine-tune the missile to find the correct target easier.

The MSL options switch is something we can feasably model and intend to eventually do, the missile speed gate is a bit undecided as we're talking % of P-kill and it might be a lot of work or not even possible currently in DCS.

Edited by Naquaii

Short answer? In DCS, they don't currently do anything unfortunately.

Long answer:

The MSL options switch allows the RIO to set the AIM-7 to PD mode or the Phoenix to active mode.

PD mode for the AIM-7 allows the newer versions to be guided with pulse doppler giving greater range.

Active for the AIM-54 tells the missile to go active immediately after launch, in effect reducing it's range greatly (this is normally not needed as the pulse modes does this automatically and the pd modes do this when at short range).

The missile speed gate configures the missiles acquisition gate, allowing the RIO to fine-tune the missile to find the correct target easier.

The MSL options switch is something we can feasably model and intend to eventually do, the missile speed gate is a bit undecided as we're talking % of P-kill and it might be a lot of work or not even possible currently in DCS.

Thanks for the info! I hope to see this stuff sooner or later

That was some of the best flying I've seen to date...right up to the part where you got killed