Reverb Cable Management Mod.

Tinkickef

I noted on another thread that last night the Reverb was disconnecting continuously and going black screen, while the monitor displaying WMR portal was showing "connect your headset". I would connect again and get into cliff house, but when I turned my head, it immediately disconnected again.

I feared for the big displayport connector hanging off the back of the headset. A little more thought makes me suspect a transient usb issue.

However, that connector is subject to a lot of repeated pulling and twisting stresses and is an obvious point of failure over time and with my brand of luck...

So I made a pigtail of the main lead coming out of the headset and laid the connector across the "ring" on the strap at the rear of the headset, cable tied each end of the connector to the strap so it sat across the ring and was immobilized. I then brought the main shotgun cable round the right hand side of the strap and cable tied it with a couple of ties about an inch behind the right earphone.

So with this simple mod, there can be no movement or stress across the connector and the cable now exits the headset on the right hand side and not the rear.

Upshot of this simple mod is that the cable no longer drops between my back and my chair when I lean forward, then the connector getting tugged when I turn my head. In real terms, the cable is far, far less intrusive than it was.

Another advantage is now it is only the PC cable that has any movement, that being away from the connector itself, and that can be replaced far easier and cheaper than a worn connector at the the headset end.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

In this case Tinkickef, a few pictures would be invaluable, if you could show us. :)

Here we are, very simple but should be effective. The cable bend in use is not so extreme as in the picture as it comes in from the right and slightly front when seated normally anyway.

2LAxnQD.jpg

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Nice! ....I'll be doing that for sure ....thanks

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Cool. Mine arrives on Tuesday.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Always have to strain relief the connectors. Even when you're setting a claymore, for example. :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

ESPECIALLY when setting a claymore ! Oh , and make sure it's turned in the right direction :)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Now wondering if cable issues were what held back the original launch.

The cable on the headset side of the connector is a single barrel, lightweight cable firmly held in place. The other side of the connector to the PC is a heavy, double barrel design. This seem stupid.

UNLESS the original was a lightweight cable and they were finding durability or supply issues.....

The cable was already built into the headset, but the extension cables could be taken out of the boxes and swapped for an heavier version.

Bumped back up the thread because it seems that a new batch of reverb and potential reverb owners are not aware of this essential mod.