AH-1W "Whiskey" Super Cobra

Kev2go

I think this would have been the most ideal variant of the Cobra to do, and Honestly would hope ED do this variant after the AH1F or just decide to do the Ah1W assuming they haven't started development of the AH1F.

It first went operational in 1986 with the United States Marine Corps, so its a vehicle that served late in the cold war, and post cold war well into the 21st century with United States Marine Corps. It saw combat action in the Gulf war, Afghanistan War, and Operation Enduring Freedom. Although the Ah1Z gradually began replacing it in 2010, Ah1W continued serving Its last combat deployment was in 2016 being deployed against ISIS over the Lybia and Iraq.

In 2017 the last remaining Ah1W were put into Reserve squadron service, thus being withdrawn from active duty service once and for all. The Ah1W were retired from training and replacement squadrons in February of 2018, meaning there will not be any new pilots trained on this platform.

So with the Ah1W is by today's standards obsolete , no longer in active duty service and only in a handful of reservist squadrons which too eventually will phase them out for AH1Z's by 2020, So there shouldn't be issues with obtaining documentation.

Armament wise I think the AH1W would be more versatile than the AH64A ( albeit not superior in avionics to the AH64D longbow)

General Features

AH1W, can use TOW series missiles as well as AGM-114 Hellfire missiles. IT can also mount Aim9L or Aim9M missiles for self defense against aircraft. Alternatively it can instead mount AGM122 Sidearm Missile for protection against Anti Air platforms utilizing radars. Also for clarification The Ah1W is indeed an all weather capable attack helicopter, possessing both Day channel TV (black and white) mode, as well as IR FLIR mode within its targeting sensor. Unguided armament traditionally conists of 2.75mm rocket pods, as well as gun : the M197 3 barrel 20mm gattling gun

Personally id think the ideal time period would be at least Late 1990s- early 2000s variant. Circa 1997- 1998 As AH1W's were modernized with installation of EGI system ( CN 1689 V2 ASN) , which includes very similar CDU panel to the A10C, along with installation of a multi-function display in the Gunners cockpit, although MFD is only capable of displaying what the Targeting sensor sees in either day CCD or, FLIR mode, wheras the Telescopic sights are only legacy day sights inherited from AH1T. The aircraft includes a HUD, as well as helmet targeting systems ( helmet monacle) that displays HUD and targeting information and allows 20mm gun to be slaved to aforementioned monocle for off boresight targeting.

AH1W countermeasures suite consists of AN/APR39A V1 Radar warning receiver, AN/ALE39 counter measures dispensers, AN/AlQ 144 IR missile jammer. Later in the early 2000's the Ah1W was further upgraded with a AN/AVR2 laser warning sensor, as well as a AN/AAR 47 Missile warning system. These latter 2 systems first saw use in the 2003 during the Invasion of Iraq.

5b197d921ae6621e008b4ed4.jpg

ah1gunr.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

a nice view of AH1W FLIR being displayed on Multi function display ( 3:04) along with a nice salvo of 20mm shortly following ( gun test)

EDIt:

some screenshot stills of Ah1W tracking a boat flying over lake Havasu, Arizona.

vV0Lcuc.png

FCSellp.png

Although to note this must be a further moderned Ah1W's given the Larger Multi function display with additional push buttons

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

+1.

I have little interest in the F model, the TOW missiles will mean against AI tanks we will still be sitting ducks against their AT4s, just like the Gazelle is now. It will bring nothing to the table that we don’t already have in the Huey and Gazelle.

We need a hellfire carrying platform!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

+1.

I have little interest in the F model, the TOW missiles will mean against AI tanks we will still be sitting ducks against their AT4s, just like the Gazelle is now. It will bring nothing to the table that we don’t already have in the Huey and Gazelle.

We need a hellfire carrying platform!

Ah1W is nice because it can fire both.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a491658.pdf

As per the essay written by that USMC officer , he eduactes that The Hellfire as a laser guided munition can actually be defeated by smoke screen. as it will disrupt the Laser designation process even if you can see IR signature of the Armored vehicles with your flir. With the TOW you do not have this limitation. Low Cloud ceilings also prevent the use of hellfires.

This makes it even more diffucult to use for more modern vehicles like the T90A not only have a directional Laser warning sensors, and has a programmable counter measures program including automatic modes to pop smoke if it gets lased. It also has shotra which can distrupt LOS and lasers designation themselves

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Yeah, does anyone even know why ED picked the Foxtrot version of all models of the cobra???? :dunno:

The Foxtrot brings absolutely nothing new to the sim besides another western helo that is basically cannon fodder when compared to the KA50, The Whiskey cobra would finally bring a western helo with decent offensive capability with the Hellfire and Sidewinder capability plus it would be a nice companion to the Harrier and WASP.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/64/58/ea6458e2d324aa68f5ac76922536c033.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

Ah1W is nice because it can fire both.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a491658.pdf

As per the essay written by that USMC officer , he eduactes that The Hellfire as a laser guided munition can actually be defeated by smoke screen. as it will disrupt the Laser designation process even if you can see IR signature of the Armored vehicles with your flir. With the TOW you do not have this limitation. Low Cloud ceilings also prevent the use of hellfires.

This makes it even more diffucult to use for more modern vehicles like the T90A not only have a directional Laser warning sensors, and has a programmable counter measures program including automatic modes to pop smoke if it gets lased. It also has shotra which can distrupt LOS and lasers designation themselves

It also (in DCS) has the terminator for a gunner, who can shove an AT11 up your nose before you even achieve a stable hover to fire your TOW!

Since the countermeasures you speak of aren’t implemented in DCS, let’s call it even :)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

It also (in DCS) has the terminator for a gunner, who can shove an AT11 up your nose before you even achieve a stable hover to fire your TOW!

Since the countermeasures you speak of aren’t implemented in DCS, let’s call it even :)

Yes thatas why ultimately its nice that the AH1W can fire both Tow series and laser guided hellfire models. You have a choice.

You can't say munition versatility is a bad thing even if most will opt use the longer ranged option.

and as for "stable" hover, that's yet another reason why Ah1W would ideally utilized with multicrew; a second player vs a single individual hopping spots between pilot and gunner.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Since the super cobra is now retired here's to wondering if the last remaining batches will find a buyer or they will rot in a boneyard.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17810/pentagon-to-sell-off-its-ah-1w-super-cobra-attack-helicopter-fleet

Hopefully they at least leave a couple to be sold to a aviation organizations or to private hands so they can fly at airshows

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Since the super cobra is now retired here's to wondering if the last remaining batches will find a buyer or they will rot in a boneyard.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17810/pentagon-to-sell-off-its-ah-1w-super-cobra-attack-helicopter-fleet

Hopefully they at least leave a couple to be sold to a aviation organizations or to private hands so they can fly at airshows

Take my country's money!!

Take my country's money!!

And repeat the "submarine" fiasco? no thanks :P

naaa If "our" country had the money they aught to instead opt for something that is still cheaper, but technologically relevant like the Ah1Z, instead settling for second hand used equipment that is now obsolete. ( yea the Ah1W was good for its day)

but in reality considering the Air force only really has a budget for "tactical" ( in reality utility) transport helos, and for the sake of simplicity of logistics the more practical choice would be to replace those under powered Ch146 griffons with current model UH60M's which can either be proper medium level Utility but also be re-configured into potent gunships, ala MH60M ( add on chin mounted FLIR along with Hellfire capability). That way you have a multi purpose helicopter, which would still be finacially more feasible that supporting a 2 totally different helicopter types, for specific roles.

But i digress here. really OT on my part.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

As OT related to the AH1W , i decided to "dust off" and re read the AH1W manual since starting this thread.

Something i overlooked; i found it interesting that there is a option to "arm bombs" on the armament panel . Furthermore and Mk77 "mod 2/4" firebombs are referenced along with Cbu55 fuel air bomb.

So an Ah1W will basically have capability to employ napalm ( as an FyI Mk77 is planned for the F/A18 )

giphy.gif

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

naaa If "our" country had the money they aught to instead opt for something that is still cheaper, but technologically relevant like the Ah1Z, instead settling for second hand used equipment that is now obsolete. ( yea the Ah1W was good for its day)

but in reality considering the Air force only really has a budget for "tactical" ( in reality utility) transport helos, and for the sake of simplicity of logistics the more practical choice would be to replace those under powered Ch146 griffons with current model UH60M's which can either be proper medium level Utility but also be re-configured into potent gunships, ala MH60M ( add on chin mounted FLIR along with Hellfire capability). That way you have a multi purpose helicopter, which would still be finacially more feasible that supporting a 2 totally different helicopter types, for specific roles.

LOL... Canadians talking about military spending...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Haha, well as a Griffon driver myself, maybe I’m just hoping I’d get a chance to fly them. Z Cobras would never be in our budget.

Realistically, some new UH-1Y models would suit us nicely. The conversion training from the Griffon would be minimal, and our attack ops tactics would be largely the same, with the ability add rockets into the equation. Plus the cost would probably be well within our budget.

Besides, we already maintain 2 totally different helos with different roles - Griffon and Chinook.

Haha, well as a Griffon driver myself, maybe I’m just hoping I’d get a chance to fly them. Z Cobras would never be in our budget.

Realistically, some new UH-1Y models would suit us nicely. The conversion training from the Griffon would be minimal, and our attack ops tactics would be largely the same, with the ability add rockets into the equation. Plus the cost would probably be well within our budget.

Besides, we already maintain 2 totally different helos with different roles - Griffon and Chinook.

what i meant by that was, it wouldnt be feasible to have both dedicated gunship and utility.

Sure Uh1Y would probably be easier to train on, but the avionics are totally different , and way more modern. Full on glass pits.

UH1Y is not a true multipurpose helo, Ie its cant have any proper anti armor capability or any good enough stand off range. UH60M can converted into gunship armed with Hellfires and sport Stingers for self defense, all whilst sporting superior countermeasures suites. Now that would offer solid Attack capabilities but at the same time can be used as a Utility, and still carry more troops than Uh1Y, and haul more.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

what i meant by that was, it wouldnt be feasible to have both dedicated gunship and utility.

Sure Uh1Y would probably be easier to train on, but the avionics are totally different , and way more modern. Full on glass pits.

UH1Y is not a true multipurpose helo, Ie its cant have any proper anti armor capability or any good enough stand off range. UH60M can converted into gunship armed with Hellfires and sport Stingers for self defense, all whilst sporting superior countermeasures suites. Now that would offer solid Attack capabilities but at the same time can be used as a Utility, and still carry more troops than Uh1Y, and haul more.

Size is one issue for Blackhawks. It would involve upgrading existing infrastructure, and jeopardize our ability to air transport the things (can one fit in a C17? Not sure, but certainly not a Herc) *edit - apparently it can?*

Hellfires are a pipe dream, as are stingers - we will never get them. Don’t know why, but there’s an aversion to them in our procurement system.

As for avionics, that’s an easy transition, I flew the Venom sim a couple years ago and the extra glass was no problem. Besides, Griffon is being upgraded to glass cockpits in the next couple years anyway. Also getting new engines and I think new transmissions and masts, so here’s hoping for increased hot/high performance, which is really the only area we lack anyway.

But we digress - +1 for AH1W in DCS!

Edited by Sandman1330