Physical Kneeboard

WHOGX5

One thing that would be amazing for the F-16 (especially in VR) would be a physical kneeboard that's clickable. Since it would be inside the actual cockpit it won't obscure your view and you will never have to use your keyboard to use it, you only need a mouse, leap motion, oculus touch, captoglove, etc. Here's my concept:

oRyOJHD.jpg

These colored boxes are just clickable zones that take you to different pages in the kneeboard. I think First Page, Last Page, Prev. page and Next Page are pretty self explanatory.

The Quick Tabs in this example only have letters so you could have a simple .lua file (or something equivalent) that decides which letter goes to which page. So tab 'G' takes you to '022.png' or page number 22, whichever is easier to program. With this .lua it would be easy to integrate this new system into existing kneeboard makers for DCS making it quick and easy for players to use this new feature to the max.

The 'First Page' button is great for creating your own index, so if you don't know which tab goes where by heart, just click 'First Page' button, check the index, then click the appropriate tab. Only two clicks to find what you're looking for.

It would also allow for a huge number of kneeboard pages that would still be easy to navigate between. You don't have to spam the 'Next Page' key 100 times to find what you need, just press the appropriate tab. This makes stuff like emergency checklists easy to use right away when you need it.

This would be an absolutely unique selling point for the F-16.

Things that are required of ED for this to work:

• Create a 3D model of a kneeboard
  • Create clickable areas on that physical kneeboard
  • Use the same system that the current kneeboard for organizing and changing pages
  • Add a .lua or similar for the Quick Tabs that defines which tab goes to which page.

Result for users:

• No need for a keyboard when using the kneeboard in-game.
  • Always accessible without obscuring the pilots view.
  • Allows for the creation of an index.
  • Easy to integrate with 3rd party kneeboard software
  • It makes a larger amount of pages quicker to access. Only two clicks to find whatever you're looking for.
  • Can still make use of 3rd party custom pages like the ones that come with the F-14.
  • Immersion :thumbup:

Also, if it's at all possible, it would be a dream come true to have one kneeboard on each leg with different pages. If this is unrealistic, just disregard. I can't tell anymore if I'm being genius or just delirious..... joystick.gif

Please comment and let me know what you think about this idea or if you have any improvements to add. Thank you!

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

To add to this already fantastic idea, we could have an option to only display the pilots legs, this way we can use the kneeboard and see the controls that are normally obscured by the arms.

Some other sim allowed the options of legs, legs & torso and full body. I think that will make everyone happy!

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Would be a great idea ...to have this using the pilot body

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

This is a great idea!

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

+1

This would be a great addition to all dcs aircraft.

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

• 1 month later...

Great!

+1!

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

To add to this already fantastic idea, we could have an option to only display the pilots legs, this way we can use the kneeboard and see the controls that are normally obscured by the arms.

No need to be so sophisticated, if the clickable kneeboard was located in the area of pilot legs, even without legs, it would be enough for me. Great idea indeed.

-1 This would be awesome particularly in VR (providing font was big enough).

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can we move this to general wishlist? Great idea not only for the viper

Yeah agreed. This should be a thing

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Can we move this to general wishlist? Great idea not only for the viper

Yeah, I'd obviously like this feature for all aircraft in DCS but I figured the first step would be to implement it in an aircraft that's currently under development. Also, the Viper is my first love and I will always do what's best for her. :love:

DCS Wishlist: