Throttle comparison

Raisuli

Apologies if this has been asked; my search-fu is weak (I'm an old man).

Based on photos and my uncalibrated Mk 0 Mod 1 eyeball the throttle travel radius on Virpil is actually shorter than Thrustmaster, which makes travel distance from stop to go fast shorter.

If someone has both could you post your observations?

This post confirms your mk 0 eyeball . No numbers , but you may find some of the comments helpful .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Apologies if this has been asked; my search-fu is weak (I'm an old man).

Based on photos and my uncalibrated Mk 0 Mod 1 eyeball the throttle travel radius on Virpil is actually shorter than Thrustmaster, which makes travel distance from stop to go fast shorter.

If someone has both could you post your observations?

Hi, I have the T50 base and a T50 CM joystick from virpil, also have the TM warthog throttle and I can tell you this.

The only problem that the TM has and I replaced the part is the Slew control, my initial and final thoughts about this control is the same, is a wonderful throttle control and I have no plans to replace it (I bought the new CM base and CM2 grip from virpil). The precision of this thing is amazing, I always fly the harrier and I can control the power to the digit, from idle to 100% digit by digit.

No failures apart from the slew control.

I don’t have the Virpil throttle but judging the throttle through the joystick I’m pretty sure that it must be wonderful. I heard some comments about the te throttle detents and premature wearing of this parts but it muy be isolated cases.

If I have to buy a throttle again I will go for the TMW but the Virpil is an option.

ccac372b9e4de441730202fe129f7d11.jpg

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Art, does the TM throttle and T50 combo work well together?

I've heard that the TM throttle is worth getting and I plan on getting one, but I'm still undecided about the stick. So far I have the VKB rudder pedals and am using the X52 Pro. Was going to wait on a VKB stick but plans may have changed.

Now I'm considering the TM WH throttle, TM50 stick with Warbird base (or TM WH stick on WB base) to go with my VKB pedals, but I'm concerned that all these different manufacturers devices may not play well together.... or is it a non issue? Will everything program seamlessly in the DCS adjust controls, or could I use something like Joystick Gremllin without a bunch of compability issues?

Thanks..... looking forward to getting out of the X52 HOTAS and into something more precise.

Edited by Auger

I've heard that the TM throttle is worth getting and I plan on getting one, but I'm still undecided about the stick. So far I have the VKB rudder pedals and am using the X52 Pro. Was going to wait on a VKB stick but plans may have changed.

Now I'm considering the TM WH throttle, TM50 stick with Warbird base (or TM WH stick on WB base) to go with my VKB pedals, but I'm concerned that all these different manufacturers devices may not play well together.... or is it a non issue? Will everything program seamlessly in the DCS adjust controls, or could I use something like Joystick Gremllin without a bunch of compability issues?

Thanks..... looking forward to getting out of the X52 HOTAS and into something more precise.

It is not an issue.

I have used my Warthog throttle with both Virpil T-50 and Gunfighter Pro, along with MFG Crosswind Pedals, they all play very nice together.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It is not an issue.

I have used my Warthog throttle with both Virpil T-50 and Gunfighter Pro, along with MFG Crosswind Pedals, they all play very nice together.

Thank you for that info.

Just ordered the T50CM2 grip and Warbird base.

Also ordering the TM WH throttle and a Monstertech stand. My simple flying rig will be complete.

Thank you for that info.

Just ordered the T50CM2 grip and Warbird base.

Also ordering the TM WH throttle and a Monstertech stand. My simple flying rig will be complete.

:thumbup:

Good choice on Monster Tech, they are pricey but well worth it.

I use a standard desk mount for my Warthog Throttle, and an extended desk mount for my Gunfighter Pro with extension. Love them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Since you already are buying stick from VirPil, remember that you can use Warthog throttle in their Deskmount V2, with this plate:

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-desk-mount-v2-adapter-tmw-throttle.html

I have those desk mount for my controls, super sturdy system.

96cce0029776e576805d7859f9a7532f.jpg

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

The TMW throttle and the T50 are execellent choices.

I had TM throttle for many years and now Virpil throttle for half a year. OP is correct, the throttle lever travel is shorter on Virpil but it is mechanically more accurate, because TM throttle has the detent mechanism with spring loaded extension on the lever arms. In practice I prefer the precise feel of Virpil over TM at any time. Also, the slew control (mini joystick) on TM throttle was not very accurate and nowhere near the precision of CH Pro throttle ministick, for example. In practice, the TM throttle ministick was used just like a 4-way switch in my case,even though it is an analog control switch. In Virpil throttle there is no analog ministick for the thumb control but a 4-way switch. That is the only drawback of it. Another Virpil advantage is the analog rotary knobs on the throttle base. The metallic position switches on the throttle base are quite similar on both throttles. Virpil detent type is up to personal preference, I like it. No quality issues there yet. As for the TM throttle detents, I had to bolt down the throttle base or it would move around the table every time when switching to afterburner.

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

Thanks for all the replies! I'm not convinced the incremental difference between TM and V throttles is worth three hundred Euros. I got the joystick base to get out from under the WH's center, and Crosswinds because the CH rudders finally gave up. If I get new throttles I'll probably make my own with a more realistic travel simply because I don't need (or use) any of the switches on the throttle base.

Still searching for that elusive set of broken TM throttles. I'll buy a second one used and tear it apart if nothing shows up...

For the original question.

Yes the travel on the t50 throttle is quite a bit shorter than the warthog.

But the precision is significantly better, with no wiggle or stiction.

And my warthog throttle was barely two months old by the time I replaced it with the t50, it was in perfect new condition.

Especially using the warthog for a helicopter collective I found it a bit lacking and often incapable of hitting a sweet spot.

It was either too little or to much, hitting a middle wasn't possible with the warthog.

No such issue with the t50, I can easily nail just the right position.

This is nitpicking the warthog is a fine throttle.

But since getting my t50 mine has been in storage.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Do you have excessive play between the two throttle arms on the Virpil throttle? As in, if you wiggle one throttle arm back and forth, do you feel a lot of play in it before the other throttle arm starts to move?

I've found as well that the Warthog is a bit sticky, particularly when trying to make small movements, but I was able to fix that issue by applying some Nyogel 767A to the gimbal.

I I have no wiggle I can recognise as such.

In fact I can separate each of them and there is no sideways movement until I start tipping the whole throttle itself.

I suppose I can get some movement if you try too squeeze the two together but it's not from play in the joint but your bending the handles.

That's not something I find myself doing naturally

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Not sideways movement, forward and back movement:

There seems to be excessive play when moving them forwards and backwards when they're linked together, and it's more noticeable in the right lever than in the left. This is because the rod that links the two arms together has quite a bit of play in it within its own housing, which translates to play in the levers when they're linked.

Yeah that looks pretty wonky and certainly not right.

I don't even think I have a mm of play in that direction either.

Not sideways movement, forward and back movement:

There seems to be excessive play when moving them forwards and backwards when they're linked together, and it's more noticeable in the right lever than in the left. This is because the rod that links the two arms together has quite a bit of play in it within its own housing, which translates to play in the levers when they're linked.

Mine has the same play, it's pretty annoying.