how to set course correctly in HSI

kenpoh

hi , first sorry for the silly question for watching some tutorial still can't figure out how to set course correctly for landing in Hsi after setting Takan or waypoint for certain airport ..i mean where to get the correct course of the runway ( eg: runway 09 in the F10 map should i set to course 090 ? ) i have takan set but can't set course correctly, pls advice tq...:

hi , first sorry for the silly question for watching some tutorial still can't figure out how to set course correctly for landing in Hsi after setting Takan or waypoint for certain airport ..i mean where to get the correct course of the runway ( eg: runway 09 in the F10 map should i set to course 090 ? ) i have takan set but can't set course correctly, pls advice tq...:
If the ATC controller tells you land on runway 090 on approach, you dial in 090 on the course select knob. Ensure that course selected is based on tacan by boxing tacan on the HSI and you will get a course line on the HSI.

Yes runway radios or course are on the F10 map.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

If the ATC controller tells you land on runway 090 on approach, you dial in 090 on the course select knob. Ensure that course selected is based on tacan by boxing tacan on the HSI and you will get a course line on the HSI.

Yes runway radios or course are on the F10 map.

thanks , so where is the course line shown in the HSI , is it on the top left corner after we set the tacan? or how to fine course line on F10 map ?

... i mean where to get the correct course of the runway ( eg: runway 09 in the F10 map should i set to course 090 ? ) i have takan set but can't set course correctly, pls advice tq...:

Runway 09 will align approx with 090°, 07 with 07 with 070°, etc.

You can find the exact runway alignment from the F10 map using the 'ruler' tool - this will give it's TRUE direction i.e. Kobuleti RWY 07 is aligned with 70°T

However, this is NOT the precise azimuth you would set in the Hornet as HUD and HSI use MAGNETIC bearings.

In the Caucasus map, magnetic variation is approx +6° E.

So Kobuleti RWY 07 = 70 - 6 = 64°M and this is what you would set in the Hornet.

The magnetic variation (difference between true and magnetic) differs from map to map and also slowly over time/year.

In DCS the MV for different maps is approx.

• Caucasus +6° E

• Nevada +12° E

• Persian Gulf +2° E

MV = TRUE - MAGNETIC

Note: IIRC the kneeboard airport charts include their direction.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

thanks , so where is the course line shown in the HSI , is it on the top left corner after we set the tacan? or how to fine course line on F10 map ?
Course line will show as a straight line in the middle of the HSI also lined cross the tacan symbol.

Lots of youtube videos on this. Wags did justice on this in his acedamic videos

Here:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The HSI course line appears if you select WPT or TACAN and then adjust the course switch i.e. for Kobuleti RWY 07

UFC - set TACAN to X67 and ON

HSI - select TACAN mode

adjust course to 64°M using course switch

The HSI will show the 64°M course line line passing through the TACAN (relative to the aircraft symbol/position) and the HUD will show course deviation from the 64°M radial.

Setting up a waypoint with a course line is similar

Edited by Ramsay
typo

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The HSI course line appears if you select WPT or TACAN and the adjust the course switch i.e. for Kobuleti RWY 07

UFC - set TACAN to X67 and ON

HSI - select TACAN mode

adjust course to 64°M using course switch

The HSI will show the 64°M course line line passing through the TACAN (relative to the aircraft symbol/position) and the HUD will show course deviation from the 64°M radial.

Setting up a waypoint with a course line is similar

Correct

You can find the exact runway alignment from the F10 map using the 'ruler' tool - this will give it's TRUE direction i.e. Kobuleti RWY 07 is aligned with 70°T

However, this is NOT the precise azimuth you would set in the Hornet as HUD and HSI use MAGNETIC bearings.

So Kobuleti RWY 07 = 70 - 6 = 64°M and this is what you would set in the Hornet.

Good morning,

I can only speak to real airports (not DCS) in the United States (and a few European airports I've flown into), but runway headings here are marked with the nearest MAGNETIC heading, not with respect to true North. I can't say for DCS as I always assumed the runway heading was what I'd become accustomed to so I never checked.

Due to the changes in the Earth's magnetic field, runways do get re-numbered occasionally. Fairbanks, AK was re-numbered in 2009 if I recall correctly.

Once again, however, I cannot speak to if DCS does it differently. Most countries follow ICAO standards, though, so I would suspect it's true in other places in the world, too.

All my best,

Rob

Edited by RobfromME

I believe above N73° latitude you're working with true runway headings.

Depending on aircraft avionics you might fly Grid Headings above 70N or below 70S … Grid Navigation is real fun. LOL

Make it easy on yourselves. A TACAN Approach Course is not necessarily going to align you straight down runway centerline like an ILS will. If there is a TACAN Approach plate for that DCS runway, fly the approach. If not, you can dial in the Runway Magnetic Course and know you will need to "slide" left or right to land with a visual maneuver. This is all based on TACAN proximity to the field. If we had ATC, or you had human ATC in sim, you could ask for radar vectors to final. :D

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can only speak to real airports (not DCS) in the United States (and a few European airports I've flown into), but runway headings here are marked with the nearest MAGNETIC heading, not with respect to true North.

I can't say for DCS as I always assumed the runway heading was what I'd become accustomed to so I never checked.

It's a DCS thing, in part because FC3 aircraft don't model MV, so DCS's Caucasus runway headings were adjusted so FC3 aircraft would land with the correct 'RL' heading i.e. 70° for Kobuleti RWY 07, 126° for Batumi RWY 13, etc.

For 'full' modules like the Hornet, A-10C, etc., that do model MV, this means the Caucasus runway headings don't match their RL charts or nominal markings.

Edited by Ramsay

You are correct not above 73N! have a hard problem finding ANY airport above the LAT! Can some one share one?

Thule airbase Greenland

Latitude:76° 31' 47.9964"

Longitude:-68° 42' 20.9988"

The reason for going to true heading above 73N is that the magnetic compass stops working properly.

Edited by fitness88

Who says you can't teach and old (really old) dog something new! I guess in my long flying days I just didn't that far north! Iceland, off Pt Barrow, Cold Bay, North Cape and all the way out to end of the Aleutian chain, never came across this! :(

Who says you can't teach and old (really old) dog something new! I guess in my long flying days I just didn't that far north! Iceland, off Pt Barrow, Cold Bay, North Cape and all the way out to end of the Aleutian chain, never came across this! :(

Well once DCS maps the Arctic you'll be flying true northpilotfly.gif

The magnetic variation (difference between true and magnetic) differs from map to map and also slowly over time/year.

In DCS the MV for different maps is approx.

• Caucasus +6° E

• Nevada +12° E

• Persian Gulf +2° E

MV = TRUE - MAGNETIC

Note: IIRC the kneeboard airport charts include their direction.

now im a bit confused, isnt caucasus -6°?

i watched the grimreapers youtube video for the harrier, and he did ILS landing and did the curse -6° and it was spot on.

now i dont know what to believe xD

SFMBE

The confusion might be resulting from Ramsay's post showing "In the Caucasus map, magnetic variation is approx +6E". Normally, a positive or negative sign is not given for variation. It's either East or West. Notice that he does do the correct thing when finding magnetic, he subtracts the value.

Remember the mnemonic "East is least, West is best" when converting TRUE to MAGNETIC. Thus, when going from a True direction to a Magnetic direction, East is subracted and West is added to the true value.

If converting from Magnetic to True, the opposite is the case. However, normally we get true from charts and convert, thus using the mnemonic.

Using sectional charts here in the US, you find the true heading using your protractor on the chart, then add or subtract variation per the "East is least, West is best" mnemonic to find the magnetic heading you'll use on your HSI (or whiskey Compass if we don't have an electrical system in our airplane...i.e. Taylorcraft!)

All my best,

Rob

• Thanks 1

Hi again, Whaaw,

I'm not sure how to attach a file for you, but I copied the page out of the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, FAA-H-8083-25B, that explains/discusses magnetic variation. However, you don't need me to attach since you can go here and find the manual:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

Find the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, FAA-H-8083-25B and go to Chapter 8, page 8-24.

There's other good stuff there, too, for pilots such as the Instrument Flying Handbook, etc.

Hope this was helpful!

All my best,

Rob

• Thanks 1