My first ever mission design

Rabies

Hi

I've had DCS for 2 years now and I'm a true rotor-head. It has taken me until now to have a play with the mission editor and to design some missions for the huey.

I'm an avid reader of Vietnam helicopter pilot biographies and so I thought my first mission would be a Vietnam like scenario.

The mission is designed to test your navigation and flying skills in bad weather, while trying to locate a LRRP team in the A Shau Valley.

Any feed back would be grateful.

Cheers

LRRP Extract.miz

After entering cloud, visibility become absolute zero and something opened fire on me.

With these conditions, I don't think flying and landing in a cloud in a mountainous area with lots of trees is a good idea. Plus without radar altimeter

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

After entering cloud, visibility become absolute zero and something opened fire on me.

With these conditions, I don't think flying and landing in a cloud in a mountainous area with lots of trees is a good idea. Plus without radar altimeter

The mission was to try and replicate some of the flying conditions faced by helicopter pilots during the Vietnam War. The US Army pilot training program of that time included some instrument training, however this was very minimal and many a pilot didn't feel comfortable in IFR and so would try and avoid those conditions.

My mission was to encourage you to fly below the cloud base at a speed that suits your visibility. We also need to remember that the UH-1H didn't have a radar altimeter at that time (it may have been introduced later in the war). Typically most helicopters wouldn't fly in such conditions unless absolutely necessary, i.e. American lives in danger etc. Landing in tight spaces was not uncommon, the difficulty faced was departing such places with a heavy ship.

I'm just setting up a mission that precludes this. It involves dropping the LRRP team at an elevated position. This will be a heavy bird, at high altitude and high temperatures. The approach to the restricted landing zone will have to be perfect timing with cessation of forward speed with simultaneous landing, as to hover will cause rotor RPM to drop immediately. Also your approach to the pad will have to be planned accordingly, if you are faced with low RPM you should be in a position that allows you to apply full right rudder and dive off the side of the mountain and bring the aircraft back into a flying condition.

"and something opened fire on me" don't you hate it when that happens :)

Actually I flew under cloud level untill the elevation forced me to get in the clouds. otherwise fog flying wasn't terrible.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

"The mission was to try and replicate some of the flying conditions faced by helicopter pilots during the Vietnam War. The US Army pilot training program of that time included some instrument training, however this was very minimal and many a pilot didn't feel comfortable in IFR and so would try and avoid those conditions."

I Fly Roads lol......that was pretty much the mantra if I remember right from all of my reading. Some instrument time, almost ZERO night flying time in training. Yet at times these young men found themselves flying in the fog or at night. Crazy!!

Ebabil, did you not have a radar alt from taking fire, or was it disabled on miz start?

~Rob

it was disabled from the start

Youtube