JHMCS using track IR

Bullant

After finally finally finding some footage of the JHMCS in use, I have a request.

In the real aircraft, the JHMCS symbology is only displayed when the pilot is looking a certain number of degrees left/right and presumably up from straight ahead. This makes sense as otherwise it would be conflicting with the HUD.

My current setup is a 95" projected image for the outside world and a helios monitor for panels, but I am working on a full pit. Due to the huge screen I don't use/need TrackIR to pan the view, but what I would really love is the ability to have TrackIR sense my head position and enable/disable the JHMCS display based on where I am looking.

TL;DR: have an option that independently enables:

* TrackIR controlling the external view shift

* TrackIR enabling/disabling the JHMCS display based on where you are looking

My super wish list item is that the JHMCS is exportable as a view for once I figure out how to get a tiny projector mounted in a helmet ;)

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

After finally finally finding some footage of the JHMCS in use, I have a request.

In the real aircraft, the JHMCS symbology is only displayed when the pilot is looking a certain number of degrees left/right and presumably up from straight ahead. This makes sense as otherwise it would be conflicting with the HUD.

My current setup is a 95" projected image for the outside world and a helios monitor for panels, but I am working on a full pit. Due to the huge screen I don't use/need TrackIR to pan the view, but what I would really love is the ability to have TrackIR sense my head position and enable/disable the JHMCS display based on where I am looking.

My super wish list item is that the JHMCS is exportable as a view for once I figure out how to get a tiny projector mounted in a helmet ;)

I'll plus 1 this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I'm somewhat confused as to what you are asking for? It sounds like you wont be using TrackIR to pan the view so the centre of your view will stay looking forwards (towards the HUD). And you want TrackIR to activate the JHMCS projection and presumably move it around the screen so it stays in the centre of your vision?

This is a complex problem. How will the sim know where your IRL head is looking? You'd have to have some kind calibration system that would make you look at certain points on the screen so the sim could work out the relationship between real head movement and the screen... and thats just thinking about 3DOF.. Add in 3 other axis for 6DOF and it becomes even more complicated! :dontgetit:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

This is a complex problem. How will the sim know where your IRL head is looking? You'd have to have some kind calibration system that would make you look at certain points on the screen so the sim could work out the relationship between real head movement and the screen... and thats just thinking about 3DOF.. Add in 3 other axis for 6DOF and it becomes even more complicated! :dontgetit:

OK so now that I think about it's not as simple as I first thought. And that is because the size of the display and the distance from the IR tracker to the display are both variables. So a certain degree of head yaw is going to make a bigger impact on look offset on a 22" monitor than it is on a 95" projector.

However, ED are smart cookies, and I strongly believe that they could implement a fairly simple calibration system that works by getting the user to look at 5 points on their display: centre, top, left, right and bottom of screen.

Edited by Bullant
  • Like 1

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

took me a few times to figure out this is to ensure jhmcs functionality from 3pv?

No this isn't for the 3rd person view, this is for the cockpit view with the cockpit hidden (shift-F1).

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Is it possible to use the track IR to move the JHMCS instead of the camera? Or at least moving the

JHMCS exponentially with the track IR curve.

For people how have a large view (3 screens) I think he's a good idea.

Thanks a lot!

[Edit] Screen :

JHMCS2.png

JHMCS.png

Edited by Roger01
  • Like 1

Yes but it's not that I Want.

1/ Only move JHMS with the Track IR (not the camera/head + JHMS)

2/ If camera + JHMS, move the JHMS following the curve or the track IR and not staying in the center of the screen : if I move my head to the left, the JHMS should also move to the left more and more to the left too, to "follow" the eyes and not just stay in the center of the monitor

[Edit] I see i'm not alone : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=199495

Edited by Roger01

Yes but it's not that I Want.

1/ Only move JHMS with the Track IR (not the camera/head + JHMS)

I must be misunderstanding you? The JHMS is projected onto the helmet visor, it CANNOT move independently of your head/camera view. (that's what the '..HMS' stands for HEAD MOUNTED SIGHT).

I copy a sentence from the link above :

Due to the huge screen I don't use/need TrackIR to pan the view, but what I would really love is the ability to have TrackIR sense my head position and enable/disable the JHMCS display based on where I am looking
  • Like 1

there's no way to use a head mounted sight without moving your head, TrackIR or no TrackIR. I understand you're using triple monitors and so don't want "head tracking" persay, but what you're wanting is kind of counter intuitive from the game's perspective. The in-game pilot has to turn his head to use the HMS, which is also your camera.

I also question the value of this even if it were available, as if you weren't turning the camera around, the only directions you could lock would be ahead, and somewhat to the sides. In a dogfight (where you would actually use a HMS), you will normally be needing to look UP as you'll be rolled toward the target and chasing it. In other words, if you're not moving the camera around, the HMS has lost a substantial portion of its value in the first place.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

What?

It's not at all what I'm saying.

I say : I want a track IR to track the movement of the JHMCS with my head instead of the mouvement of the camera. Like the IRL!

IRL you don't move the world with your head, but only the JHMCS (helmet).

the track IR IS the helmet, and move the JHMCS on the triple screen like IRL.

the track IR DON'T MOVE the camera/pov/whatever but only the JHMCS

JHMCS.png

• Like 1

Thanks for making that image, the picture clears up a lot and I’m pretty sure I understand what functionality you’re looking for. As far as I know, the JHMCS is tied to wherever the camera is pointing and I don’t know of any way to change this. Keep in mind I have no experience at all with triple monitor setups, especially not in DCS. As I understand it, the three monitors provide you with a fixed camera view, and you want to move the JHMCS around within that area. Again, I don’t think this is possible, but like Zhukov stated, I don’t understand how useful this would be since your viewpoint is fixed (unless you using a hat switch or something to move your entire field of view up/down or side to side.)

Yeah, I can use a hat switch and/or a on/off camera head tracking using the track IR, where's a lot of possibility and this is the "Wish List" section, not a "why???" section :p

[Edit] And the "best" I think is to have 2 curve. One for the camera view and on for the JHMCS

JHMCS2.png

Edited by Roger01

• 5 months later...

IMO, sphere projection is probably one of the best approach that can take advantage of a fully functional sim pit to achieve the ultimate simulation experience. In this case, I believe using Track IR to control JHMCS without moving the view port / camera is a legit request.

If I had the cash to spend, I probably would do something similar, though I currently use VR which is a cost-effective alternative with some trade-offs apparently, for example: interacting with cockpit controls.

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

• 1 year later...

as someone who uses an ultrawide display with TrackIR, i feel your pain. 

For those who dont understand the problem

Normal TrackIR usage: Turn head far enough so you can see what you need to at the right side of the display. 

JHMCS is always centered

TrackIR usage with JHMCS: turn head far enough to that what you want to lock centers in the display (for JHMCS)

One of the benifits of multiple monitors or an ultrawide is that you can use a lower angular multiplier. 

Low TrackIR multiplier with JHMCS: turn head so far to the side in order to center target that your eyes cant see the center of the monitor. (ie you cant see the target or JHMCS FOV)

If JHMCS could dynamically offset with head input, it could be made to follow your central vision. (ie if im using TrackIR, and I look right, offset JHMCS to right side of display)

Edited by Beamscanner
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

With my triple monitor setup, HMD equipped aircraft are awkward to use the HMD as it only utilizes the center monitor. I have seen a few sim builders not using HMD in jets for this reason if they use multi projector setups etc. TheWarthogProject is famous for not using HMD on his simulator when using it without VR. Iceman's post Here identifies the issue well. 

Photo credit 5/7/2021 at 1:45 AM, Iceman555

image.pngimage.png1409944619_HMDcase.thumb.png.1810d68d0ff3192e27b168497599fa37.png

I would like to see a way we could tune the movement of the HMD or at least have it slew over to another monitor.

The setup for reference that I use see the linked post for Iceman555's setup details. I noticed the issue after adding a head tracker also was seen when I used a joystick on the throttle to look around. 

129330292_733578630901401_5236259516075610598_n(1).jpg

A few more threads talking about this. 

Edited by SpeedDemonAdam
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • ED Team

Hi all, 

apologies I have overlooked these threads, I have merged them now into one, and I will try to get it looked into. 

I dont personally use TrackIR any more, I sold mine as soon as I got VR and mostly fly in VR now. I will ask someone in the team who has multi screens and trackIR to test. 

thanks

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2