[NO BUG] RWR / Jester picking up launches on other aircraft - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 03:28 AM   #1
backspace340

Default [NO BUG] RWR / Jester picking up launches on other aircraft

Right now in the F-14 if a SAM locks on a friendly/other target (works even with a TALD, for example) then you will receive a lock tone (even if you're separated by 10nm or so) - this one is a long-standing ED bug as far as I know - HOWEVER, if the SAM launches at that other target, then your RWR will show that it has launched at you and Jester will start panicking and telling you to evade a missile that's not being fired at you. That last part is a new issue unique to the F-14. It makes life really difficult because in MP servers someone is almost always being fired at by SAMs, but you never know when it's actually firing at you.

Last edited by IronMike; 04-02-2019 at 02:30 AM.
backspace340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #2
Santi871
Beta Tester

seems to happen for other aircraft locking and firing too
Santi871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #3
boscoh

I too am getting this, but also from enemy aircraft that are getting BRA called by AWACS as being close to 200 miles away. They're firing at something on the other side of the map but my RWR is picking it up.
boscoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:40 AM   #4
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi871 View Post
seems to happen for other aircraft locking and firing too
Thanks - I thought that was the case but wasn't 100% sure when writing this up. It did actually get me killed earlier - had a human RIO in the back seat as we got pinged and we both thought it was another false RWR hit, until a missile hit us
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
lemoen

If your plane is in the radar cone of the firing unit, you should be getting a launch warning. Your RWR cannot tell which plane is being locked, only that something is being locked and fired on.
lemoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoen View Post
If your plane is in the radar cone of the firing unit, you should be getting a launch warning. Your RWR cannot tell which plane is being locked, only that something is being locked and fired on.
It can happen from up to 100nm away from the looks of it, it's not that - there's no possible way I could be in any tracking radar cone. You don't have to be anywhere near the unit actually being locked for this to happen.

Last edited by backspace340; 03-15-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
deadpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace340 View Post
Thanks - I thought that was the case but wasn't 100% sure when writing this up. It did actually get me killed earlier - had a human RIO in the back seat as we got pinged and we both thought it was another false RWR hit, until a missile hit us
Your Rio should look at rwr and then at direction for immediate confirmation of launch trail.
He has chaff control and also can advise whether it is going for you or someone else.
He will also handle the call out via radio.
Either ownship defending Sa something.
Or Sam launch rough position and whether it goes high or low.
deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #8
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Your Rio should look at rwr and then at direction for immediate confirmation of launch trail.
He has chaff control and also can advise whether it is going for you or someone else.
He will also handle the call out via radio.
Either ownship defending Sa something.
Or Sam launch rough position and whether it goes high or low.
Thanks for the tips, but that doesn't solve the bug. That happened because we were miles away from the action and we assumed the bug was triggering again (like it had 50 times before that). It would just be nice to have launch warning = being launched on, like it is in every other module.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
ScopeDope

We noticed this in our group yesterday too. Either needs real world (inside the what would be like an STT scan zone) implementing likely from ED, or just set to like how all other modules operate.
ScopeDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
deadpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace340 View Post
Thanks for the tips, but that doesn't solve the bug. That happened because we were miles away from the action and we assumed the bug was triggering again (like it had 50 times before that). It would just be nice to have launch warning = being launched on, like it is in every other module.
No worries. Didn't want to talk down on you. Sorry if it came over like that way.

Could this be related to the defect from Ed where a plane lock from ai will trigger everyone's rwr?
deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote