Virpil Throttle Wearing Out Already *please read* - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
backstab

Default Virpil Throttle Wearing Out Already *please read*

I just fixed an issue that I am confident others will run into eventually with the Virpil throttle. This issue arose about a week ago. I noticed that on the left throttle (because I fly mostly with the throttles separated) that the once smooth travel was now a scratchy metal on metal feeling. It was providing friction that I didnt want and I knew something was up. I disassembled the entire throttle to discover what the issue was.

The adjustable detents are made from two ball bearings running over a slit in a piece of steel. when the ball sits in the slit this is the resistance you feel. The positions of those bearings are adjustable by the set screws on the bottom of the throttle. A good idea actually.

As seen in the picture the bearings have actually cut grooves into the approach for the slit. This is unusual as ball bearings are meant to roll, not slide. The balls are back spring mounted so they always are forced against the steel. The grooves on one side (left throttle) got so bad that it was scraping not rolling. I suspect that the ball bearing quality or functionality is suspect. Its not rolling and the other 3 look like eventually they will end up scratchy and bad.

The issue I take is that the ball and the plate of steel (picture) was shipped absolutely devoid of oil or grease. Zero lubrication. This was a mistake. It was a mistake to think it didnt need lubrication or it was a mistake to have forgotten it. Either way I ended up doing some extra work.

The solution for you guys is to check it which can only be done with a tear down. It wasn't difficult to disassemble or assemble the Virpil throttle. Take pictures along the way of the parts.
Because mine was so worn in, lube didnt help. I flipped the plate over for a fresh start and lubed that side. I suspect this will eventually break down again because of a non rolling bearing. I hope I'm wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190108_120739_HDR.jpg
Views:	1138
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	201649  

Last edited by backstab; 01-08-2019 at 07:02 PM.
backstab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
aaron886
Veteran

Man, I hate to see that. Can you describe a little the order in which you disassemble the throttle axis block? I see some grease in there, but I'd love to replace it with Nyogel.

aaron886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
backstab

Oh I took the grips off, then the top plate and that exposes the steel plate on top, the one I took the picture of. What you are showing is the bottom and that's not the area in question. You need to remove the plastic buttoned grips and then the components will lift off exposing the area.

The plate is held on with 2 screws and lock washers. Its symmetrical so it doesn't matter which way you out it on. Its not hard to take grips off because they just have one wire that needs to be unplugged and therefore there is one slot only on re assembly. No confusion. Good design

edit. That part in your picture I never disassembled.
backstab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
HC_Official

the ball bearings were they damaged looking (worn etc) ?
HC_Official is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
Cyph3r

Hi backstab! I'm sorry to hear that you've had some issues with your throttle - can you get in touch with our support team please so we can investigate this further for you?

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

Cyph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
mdee

Could that it be that when the ball approaches the slit, there is more pressure on the ball and it prevents it from rolling? Now, after reading what you wrote, I can potentially explain why I feel a slight increase in resistance near the detent - it may be the ball gradually getting closer to the slit (the distance between center of the bearing and the ball to the plate would shorten) and compressing the spring. I hope I am guessing wrong, as this would be slightly prone to failures like yours.

Just guessing here, I am bit hesitant to disassemble mine as nothing is wrong with it. I hope the support sorts this out for you, please let us know the outcome.

btw: I'd definitely not put any Nyogel (damping) in there.

Last edited by mdee; 01-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
mdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #7
dawgie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdee View Post
Could that it be that when the ball approaches the slit, there is more pressure on the ball and it prevents it from rolling? Now, after reading what you wrote, I can potentially explain why I feel a slight increase in resistance near the detent - it may be the ball gradually getting closer to the slit (the distance between center of the bearing an the ball would shorten) and compressing the spring. I hope I am guessing wrong, as this would be slightly prone to failures like yours.

Just guessing here, I am bit hesitant to disassemble mine as nothing is wrong with it. I hope the support sorts this out for you, please let us know the outcome.

btw: I'd definitely not put any Nyogel (damping) in there.
+1. Recently noticed the same thing, a little more resistance near the detents.

I'm in the same boat as you, don't want to open it up as nothing is wrong with it (yet?).

Last edited by dawgie79; 01-11-2019 at 07:07 PM.
dawgie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
Thomasew

Hi,

Looks like mine is starting to groove as well.

.. and I really haven't used my throttle that much .. +- 3 hours ..

Virpil need to make some suggestions, on how to alleviate further 'grooving' of that plate.

.. perhaps they need to make that 'plate' out of some other material .. e.g. teflon or nylon.

What I've done in the interim, .. is give the 'plate' a couple of coats of dry PTFE lubricant. (to reduce friction)

.. and, when I put the plate back, I just 'nipped' the 2 screws that hold it in, not totally (over)tightened them. (to reduce pressure on the ball bearings).

Throttle feels smooth(er), .. and Indent seems fine ..

Cheers
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	201852  

Last edited by Thomasew; 01-11-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Thomasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #9
wasserfall

+1 more resistance near the detent
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
norbot

After seeing your pictures with the worn metal plates, I am glad that I have not ordered the throttle yet. Therefore, I will certainly wait until the layout has been improved by the manufacturer.