'Flaring' the Hornet on landing

Kenan

I know you can't flare while landing on the boat (duh!) but I have no problem doing this while landing on a land-based runway. I usually manage to flare, add some throttle and gently touch the runway and that's pretty much it.

If I understand correctly (and from what I've seen in the "Jetstream" doc), land-based landings are pretty much the same as landing on the boat, i.e. controlled "crash landing".

My question is, why not doing the standard flare instead?

Perhaps DCS model is wrong (giving impression that you can land the Hornet the "standard way" when you in fact cannot) OR is there a different reason why the pilots IRL do it the way they do it?

Seems to me (again, unless the DCS got it wrong) there's really no need to stress the landing gear at all and you can just do the usual flare (time it propertly and simply gently skid down the runway).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

I believe you can flare. I pretty sure many hornet pilots do when landing on ground.

It may be to practice. You only land so many times, why not practice for the boat as its the one that will kill you.

I'm no expert but I have seen and heard pilots talk about the hornet being very smooth to land if you wish.

Couple of reasons.

1) Habit patterns.

2) This jet is prone to planing link issues. Flaring makes you more susceptible and can be harder to control should the planing link fail.

Otherwise, it's a great jet to flare. I flared all the time as an adversary pilot that didn't go to the boat. Easiest airplane to land smoothly I've ever flown.

• Like 1

Yes. It's a very serious and dangerous emergency. My squadron lost a jet that way a few years before I showed up. Thankfully the pilot made it out okay.

The way I understand flaring is that if you fly the hornet at a 8.1AOA its perfectly flared for landing.. so there is no need to flare as you already are..

8.1 is on speed AOA.

Maybe nice to know: according to NATOPS, flared landings have a weight limitation of 39k pounds while unrestricted “normal” (aka. Controlled crash) landings have a weight limitation of 33k pounds.

That’s the way I see it as well. If higher than 33k, you must FLARE, therefore can’t be shipboard landing. Otherwise, slap that deck like a mo-fo. Makes sense, too much stress on the gear if landing without flare at 39k compared to 33k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Not to open a new thread (similar subject), I was watching these videos and this pilot's decent rate was pretty high (it appears well above 700-800 fpm on touchdown):

So what are the acceptable decent rates for land-based and carrier landings, in general?

I thought somewhere between 700-800 fpm was the norm?

Edited by Kenan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

'Flaring' the Hornet on landing

Looks like 1200fpm at touchdown. But that’s a ship landing. Descent rates with a flare would be -400 or less depending on how finesse you want it to be. Less is obviously more smoother.

The only thing I’ve seen regarding why it isn’t ideal to flare is it MAY cause the WOW sensors to not close thus not allowing the engine to decel to ground idle immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Not to open a new thread (similar subject), I was watching these videos and this pilot's decent rate was pretty high (it appears well above 700-800 fpm on touchdown):

So what are the acceptable decent rates for land-based and carrier landings, in general?

Interesting videos. The second one in particular it looked like the VS suddenly jumps at the last moment for no appreciable reason (VV stays in same place).

I was wondering the same thing, so I submitted a question to The Fighter Pilot Podcast and was lucky enough having Jell-O doing some research and giving me an answer. Listen to 07:10 in this episode:

https://www.fighterpilotpodcast.com/podcast/022-test-pilot-school/

Spoiler:

It's hard to say and it depends on aircraft weight. The aircraft will give you a warning message after touchdown if it was too rough.

I was wondering the same thing, so I submitted a question to The Fighter Pilot Podcast and was lucky enough having Jell-O doing some research and giving me an answer. Listen to 07:10 in this episode:

Spoiler:

It's hard to say and it depends on aircraft weight. The aircraft will give you a warning message after touchdown if it was too rough.

Nice. Would be cool if we can have those codes modeled :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Like Mover was saying flaring can cause planning link failures because the shock absorbers don't collapse enough if you are light causing the planing arms to not lock in place , thats why if you are heavy its authorized because the weight will collapse them. Most of the time pilots will give a quick burst of throttle before touchdown to lower the decent rate.

• Like 1

Spoiler:

Thanks for the info!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

Like many things, it all depends. You should flare if you are over your max trap weight or risk putting undue stress on something such as the aforementioned L POD. It also depends on the field you are landing at. If there is a lens on the field, you might as well practice the perishable skill of ball flying. Additionally, if you are landing at a field with a short runway, you want to plant it close to the numbers. However, if you're at a field with a long runway and there is no lens, it makes more sense to flare to save the airframe and components a little wear and tear. At least that's how Hawkeyes did it.

What was your technique? Did you just soften it by increasing the throttle a little, and/or did you raise your nose a little?

You could just raise the nose, typically. Put the velocity vector (Flight path marker? whichever it's called in this jet) just below the horizon line and hold it.

In this area it’s all technique and I can only think of two schools of thought.

1) time the increase of thrust while on speed to reduce the sink rate for touchdown.

2) Trim to slightly fast AOA red/yellow. Conventionally flare to bring VV to a hair below horizon while smoothly reducing thrust to touchdown at 8.1 AOA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just realize that when you flare, you pitch the nose up and present a whole lot more wing area to the direction of the airflow, the alpha will go way up, your drag component will go up and you're gonna get slow fast. Bear that in mind if you need to go around the airplane will feel very sluggish until you get that airflow back.

That's exactly why I do this ashore. Use that feature. I set my radar alt warning tone to 40ft, come in at a standard 3° glideslope and as soon as it goes off, throttles idle and feather the descent, works great for me twilightsmile.png

It's really about not doing that on the boat however rainbowdashwink.png

Gotta take into account this though:

Flaring also increases landing distance down the runway due to floating on the ground effect, so caution with that on short runways.

Just like in any other plane dealwithit.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg