Metric System in HUD and gauges?

Wexler

Hey,

my question is pretty simple. Is it possible to have metric hud and gauges in hornet? Or other Western aircrafts?

I have seen imperial system in L39 and wish to have similar option in western aircrafts, oterwise I am completely avoiding them which is annonying cause there is no eastern full fidelity modern module.

Thank you.

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

I am tired of constantly calculating everything. There are more important things. Maybe I am a little pedant. I am losing concentration when things are different then I am used to. Take me a lot of time to get used to it (personal problem) got it IRL as well. Like moving a monitor by 1 centimetr and i feel different about it and have to get used to it

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

Well, you don't have to calculate anything when working within one system, since the critical values (airspeed, fuel remaining etc.) are system specific. I only do mental calculations if I need to have a "feeling" how things are in the metric system and then a simple multiplication or division by 2 or 3 is usually enough to get a correct ballpark value.

Hello Wexler,

I understand your problem.

Here in Portugal we always used the metric system, (as a great number of European countries also do).

Don't know how long do you play flight sims, but from earlier times they always featured imperial units, how did you do back then ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Top Jockey: 1 year of DCS, I am playing almost daily.

I did not say that learning western system is hard. And it definatly alter my playing when only guessing what I am actually on. Its not 2 numbers (current airspeed, altitude) its all the numbers. required speed/altitude, defensive system capabilities etc. AWACS boogie spamming. its terrible to always getting distracted by calculating these numbers. It takes precious brain capacity during intense situations. When u hear that boogie is 70 and you know how u act on it immidiatly but then you realize he is hell far away.

You don't need to convert while you fly in one system.

Wrong for DCS. At least when using the F10 map ruler to get distances for navigation. You just don't quit the session and go back to the main menu to switch back and forth between Imp and Met. But that's a totally different issue DCS is having for ages which could easily be solved by adding a keystroke command that switches units just like the one that switches coordinates between LOLA, MGRS etc.

That issue put aside, it's not that hard. Divide feet by 3, then substract 10% off (or the other way round) and you're getting pretty close to meters, if you don't need it exactly just do the *3 or /3 calculation. As for speeds, just watch the Mach value instead and then recheck the knots to get a rough idea.

But basically it's better to just fly with the system, even though it's good to know how much it is in the other. Just don't try to fly something like 800km/h at 3500m, go something like 450 knots at 12000ft instead, no matter how much that is in metric.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

For every 1 mile there’s technically 1.6 KM. Just make that number 1.5. 10 miles, 16 KM. 3 miles, 4.5 KM. doesn’t need to be precise.

Further all of your maneuvers are based on speed indicators in the cockpit so you only need to know the actual numbers.

I think you are over complicating this for yourself.

Guys seriously. Are u such arogants? I made a VERY simple question. So stop teaching me to convert and telling me to get used to it.

Answer was : NO, there is no possibility to set gauges and HUD to metric system like you can do it in L39 to imperial units. (that was the longest I could find for my question)

Dont force anyone to USE(not learn) something he does apparently dont want to. I did not ask for this anyway.

Guys seriously. Are u such arogants? I made a VERY simple question. So stop teaching me to convert and telling me to get used to it.

Answer was : NO, there is no possibility to set gauges and HUD to metric system like you can do it in L39 to imperial units. (that was the longest I could find for my question)

Dont force anyone to USE(not learn) something he does apparently dont want to. I did not ask for this anyway.

With that attitude, you're probably SOL

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

What attitude? I have politely asked. And every one gave me answer like "you noob learn imperial system" that is not attitude?

For every 1 mile there’s technically 1.6 KM. Just make that number 1.5. 10 miles, 16 KM. 3 miles, 4.5 KM. doesn’t need to be precise.

Further all of your maneuvers are based on speed indicators in the cockpit so you only need to know the actual numbers.

I think you are over complicating this for yourself.

It's closer to 1:2 when it's nautical miles - 1nm = 1.852km, so for rough quick maths just double it to get the metric. One other handy thing to know is that knots are nautical miles per hour - e.g. if you're going 120kts, it'll take 30 mins to fly 60nm.

Hey don’t call it a Western system. We use metric here in Canada. Actually we are pretty fluent in both. Growing up using a mixture of both.

Top Jockey: 1 year of DCS, I am playing almost daily.

I did not say that learning western system is hard. And it definatly alter my playing when only guessing what I am actually on. Its not 2 numbers (current airspeed, altitude) its all the numbers. required speed/altitude, defensive system capabilities etc. AWACS boogie spamming. its terrible to always getting distracted by calculating these numbers. It takes precious brain capacity during intense situations. When u hear that boogie is 70 and you know how u act on it immidiatly but then you realize he is hell far away.

Hey don’t call it a Western system. We use metric here in Canada. Actually we are pretty fluent in both. Growing up using a mixture of both.

I am sorry, i meant western aircraft measurement system. not the measurement system itself. I understand knots and feets too but i am not grown up in it and thats the difference.

Edited by Wexler

It's closer to 1:2 when it's nautical miles - 1nm = 1.852km, so for rough quick maths just double it to get the metric. One other handy thing to know is that knots are nautical miles per hour - e.g. if you're going 120kts, it'll take 30 mins to fly 60nm.

Negative, it's 1.60934 according to google.

https://www.metric-conversions.org/length/miles-to-kilometers.htm

Also to the OP: we aren't being arrogant. No offense, you're kind of being helpless in all of this and we are trying to help you. The f-18 specifically tells you time to WP, Miles and counts down. What possibly do you need to know other than how to count? I Could maybe see struggling with a WWII bird like the Mustang because it doesn't have all of these elaborate systems... but at the end of the day there are numbers and the bird tells you what number you should be at or will be at.

Guppy: Thanks. I understand and I probably overreacted. Sorry to those who meant it kindly. I didnt wanted to help to accomodate. I just wanted to know if there is that possibility (to change it to metric).

I am not interested in US aircrafts much, but if there would be that option I would consider to try them out as there is actually lack of modern full fidelity russian aircraft and to learn new systems as well. But I dont take it as a must for me. That is why I asked if its possible and not to implement it. Just an opportunity for me, but I am not the target group here.

It is just that in Multiplayer, I didnt found much use of older A/C in PvP. Otherwise I will love to play the older generations of russian jets, but these seems are now only for SP.

Negative, it's 1.60934 according to google.

https://www.metric-conversions.org/length/miles-to-kilometers.htm

Yeah like the guy above says - in DCS (and aviation generally) we use nautical miles, not imperial miles, and your link is imperial miles. From that same website you linked: https://www.metric-conversions.org/length/us-nautical-miles-to-kilometers.htm

Guppy: Thanks. I understand and I probably overreacted. Sorry to those who meant it kindly. I didnt wanted to help to accomodate. I just wanted to know if there is that possibility (to change it to metric).

I am not interested in US aircrafts much, but if there would be that option I would consider to try them out as there is actually lack of modern full fidelity russian aircraft and to learn new systems as well. But I dont take it as a must for me. That is why I asked if its possible and not to implement it. Just an opportunity for me, but I am not the target group here.

It is just that in Multiplayer, I didnt found much use of older A/C in PvP. Otherwise I will love to play the older generations of russian jets, but these seems are now only for SP.

Well, the MiG-21Bis isn't exactly "modern", but I believe its several cockpit gauges do use the metric system that you prefer.

Although not modern, it's a full fidelity russian aircraft.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Well, the MiG-21Bis isn't exactly "modern", but I believe its several cockpit gauges do use the metric system that you prefer.

Although not modern, it's a full fidelity russian aircraft.

Yeah, I definatly buying it tomorrow, but it is as you said. Its not really competitive for multiplayer where everyone is flying in Gen4 jets. But I am taking all the russian aircrafts I dont own tomorrow. Gonna take it from mig 15 as a historic run to Mig 29.

Look out for (and cheer on/support) the potential Mig 23 module from the 3rd party developer studio of Razbam. That iconic airframe will be able to stand on it's feet better as a full module than the current full complexity Eastern manufactured ones (eg mig-21). It's no 4th Gen, but for servers where the Fox-3's are not used it will be enough for a good player to make anyone beware.

Avoid trying to match "competitive" with just enjoying an airframe, else you will be unable to enjoy a great plane or module because it may lack features in the PvP arena to help you be more successful:

Yeah, I definatly buying it tomorrow, but it is as you said. Its not really competitive for multiplayer where everyone is flying in Gen4 jets. But I am taking all the russian aircrafts I dont own tomorrow. Gonna take it from mig 15 as a historic run to Mig 29.

Integrity checks stop much of the modding available like textures on cockpits for labels or potential code changes to the avionics. Not that anyone has the time to recode a 3 year in devlopment module, or indeed the skill, expertise or willingness, especially as certain avionics code is not open to edit like the LUA is, it's compiled C. So don't wish for this, you will get modules produced that only come with what on very specific aircraft actually had, rather than invented weapons, different gauges or capabilities.

Because these non-factual features don't exist and modding cannot change that, and the parts of modding that can will break IC which is fundamental to MP 'competitive' PvP which you mention.

Lastly, there are some people who only like their nations own airframes, or just US or just NATO or just Eastern Block. These people only enjoy half of what DCS World gives them. They miss half the experience, and they learn half as much about their "old adversary". Great pilots know many airframes. Experience is unlimited in this lifetime. Take the opportunity to learn all you can, because tomorrow, you may be poor or your PC breaks down or you may not be able to take the opportunity for some other reason ;)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *