Logitech G940 Reversal Bug - v1.42 Firmware Update - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #21
VirusAM

Send a message via MSN to VirusAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakoz View Post
These questions are perhaps off topic and it might be better to start a new threat, but....

Yes, for AAR, just like for a helicopter or any time you want the most precise joystick control, any FFB stick will tend to be better than a sprung stick because they are so light and easy to move around the center point (no X or Y crossing notches which cause hesitation as you move the stick). So regarding the G940, the issues are not precision for movement (x/y pickup by the pots or hall effect sensors). The issues are lack of precision for the FFB which is a little frustrating when it comes to holding the stick with magnetic brake on a helicopter. But in AAR, you will have your hand on the stick constantly and sloppy FFB isn't an issue.

For the POV, not sure which you one you mean. The lower POV hat is a 4 way button like most POV hats, and you can assign anything you want to it either in DCS, or in the Logitech Profiler software (v5.10.127 is the last version to support the G940). For the upper POV (called the mini-joystick), this is an analog X/Y mini-joystick. You can assign it to any DCS control that works with an analog axis (many DCS aircraft allow analog axis to control targeting cursors, etc.), or in the Logitech Profiler software, you can assign zones which will perform keyboard keypresses which turns the analog mini-joystick into a 4 way hat.

yes sorry i intended the pov axis...i wish to use that as a trim in the f18
....so i should use the logitech profiler to achieve that..thanks
I7-9900K @5.1 GHz | 32gb DDR4 Ram 3200MHz| GeForce GTX1080ti |SSDs | Virpil WarBrd + F18 Stick | X65F (stick for F16 Viper..throttle for everything) | MFG Crosswind | Oculus Rift S | UTC MkII Pro + Ps3Eye | Samsung CH3270 32" 2560x1440 QLED Monitor | Waiting for HP reverb
VirusAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #22
fred41

... i just registered to share my latest firmware patch, which aims to fix the strange hyterese behavoir of all the 8-bit axes (reversal bug) and to remove the rudder firmware deadzone.

If someone want to give it a try?

https://github.com/fred41/G940-firmware-fixes

This patch is based on the latest inofficial firmware 1.42 and you need logitechs firmeware updater 'G940_Update_FW0142.exe' for uploading.

Please let me know how it works, thanks.
fred41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #23
MiG hooked

Hi fred, I recognized that reversal bug mostly with the throttle axis. I just gave it a try. The throttle seems to be pretty precicse now. Thank you very much. Did it took a lot effort to fix this?
MiG hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #24
fred41

Hi,

thanks for testing and feedback.

Yes it was a challenge to understand the machine code and its problems. But it was a very interesting lesson too.

As for the throttle, there is a simple mechanical modification, to significantly improve the precision:

There are 2 holes in the plastic with a diameter to big for the axes (M5 screws). I just used a 0.8mm wire, to bend a ring from.
This ring fits exactly between the M5 screew's and the plastic holes. Works very good for me.

Last edited by fred41; 04-08-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #25
Doktor Faustus

Hey fred41,
big thank You for the updated firmware, the good old G940 works like a charm, precision improved!
Old 04-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #26
Mugue

@fred41,

Thank You!
Works great. My trim axis' are useful finally.
You're a Saint.
Again Thanks.
Mugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #27
fred41

Hi,

thanks for testing and reporting back. I am glad to read it works for you.
And i am happy to see that my work is finally useful for other peoples too.

If there are any firmware related suggestion/ideas for further improvement please let me know, maybe there is a way to do it.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #28
mazex

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
Hi,

thanks for testing and reporting back. I am glad to read it works for you.
And i am happy to see that my work is finally useful for other peoples too.

If there are any firmware related suggestion/ideas for further improvement please let me know, maybe there is a way to do it.
Fred - you are awesome!

I have been using the G940 since it came out and fixed the cable way back when and applied 1.42. Since then I have been using it as there are no other alternatives for us that reqire FFB (I naturally have an MSFFB2 in my closet). As an old IRL pilot of gliders and small prop planes I simply cannot live without FFB...

But after looking for new fw patches for years after 1.42 I realized that I had to live with the throttle reversal bug. Just yesterday I started thinking about getting a Warthog throttle and keep the G940 stick - and came to this forum to see what other alternatives that might be available. Found this thread and got your patch smoking from the oven

And it really does a big difference! Now the throttle is GOOD! To better see the input I loaded up IL2 where you see the % of throttle when changing. I have previously been trying to set it to exactly 80% for formation flying etc. It has been a royal pain in the ... Now I just sat there with a smile going from 70% to 80% to 90% and then quickly back to 70% And I can nail it directly. Sat like a silly child doing it for 10 minutes! And have not realized the problem with the hardware deadzone of the rudders. Love that you have removed that as well.

This REALLY needs a separate post in every flight sim forum for the few of us that still use the G940. But please - wait until I have bought a few on eBay that I can sell expensively after the news get out

Again - a really big thank you for your effort!
mazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #29
fred41

mazex - you are awesome too, thanks for your friendly (and funny) words

But do you seriously assume, i published this patch before i ordered all the cheap G940's from eBay
Old 04-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #30
Dustoff74

Hey fred41!

That are really awesome news! For years I was holding out for the next force feedback stick. Last month I caved in and pre-ordered a VPC gimbal and bought a Warthog HOTAS. Now you are coming out with a fix for my main issue with the G940. Bad timing, story of my life!
Nevertheless I'm more than happy that the G940 finally gets that bit of love it deserved all along!

Now the only thing left to optimize is the center play. Any of you guys have a fix for that? Flying helicopters I mostly do all my movement within the center play of the stick. Curves and deadzones are now solution since DCS doesn't account for the moving center position when trimming, as far as I can tell.

Once again, great work Fred!

Henning
Dustoff74 is offline   Reply With Quote