Legacy: JTAC for Ka-50

Hi everyone!

Home Fries has kindly allowed me to continue developing his JTAC mod for the Ka-50.

At the moment, I'm still trying to figure out how the involved scripts exactly work, so I haven't really been able to do much yet. However, I still wanted to upload a version that works with the current iteration of DCS.

How to set up JTAC in the mission editor for the Ka-50:

Step 1: Place a HMMWV and add the advanced waypoint actions as shown here:

n5gferO.png

Step 2: Assign the group that will be targeted, set which weapon will be requested, how (and if) the target will be designated, callsign and frequency to the action "FAC - Assign Group". Make sure that the FREQUENCY is set between 20 and 60 MHz, and that MODULATION is set to FM.

lVrI4bv.png

Step 3: Add your Ka-50 and select the tab with the antenna symbol to the far right. The 10 channels of your R-828 radio are listed here. Make sure that they contain all your desired JTAC frequencies. Again, these must lie between 20 and 60 MHz.

NOTE: These channels can also be changed in the mission planner screen.

von51N9.png

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: If you have been using the JTAC mod for a couple of years by now, you might know that these 10 frequencies had to be changed in a certain LUA-file in the game directory. Since ED has made it possible to change them in the mission editor, this file gets ignored by the game. Changing the frequencies there will have no effect.

If you have no idea what I was just talking about, then everything is fine as long as you stick to the steps above smilewink.gif

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to change the R-828's frequencies in multiplayer at the moment. For the moment being, you have to make sure they're set up correctly in case of hosting a server yourself - or otherwise ask the host to do so.

Best regards,

Chris

Ka-50 JTAC mod v.1.6.rar

Edited by Arthipex

• 1 month later...

Dear Arthipex, i am huge fan of this mod ever since a first version, & i am appreciating for your contribution for this mod, succeeding Home Fries.

with regard to above Ver 1.6, everything works fine, except the coordinate is brocasted in form of UTM, Not L/L, which ka-50 is not compatiable with. unfortunately i can't convert the coordinates to L/L. would you let us know, if there is a good remedy for this issue?

Thank you.

Dear Arthipex, i am huge fan of this mod ever since a first version, & i am appreciating for your contribution for this mod, succeeding Home Fries.

with regard to above Ver 1.6, everything works fine, except the coordinate is brocasted in form of UTM, Not L/L, which ka-50 is not compatiable with. unfortunately i can't convert the coordinates to L/L. would you let us know, if there is a good remedy for this issue?

Thank you.

The mod is missing the changes to ...\DCS World\Sounds\Speech\NATO.lua

@arthipex: iirc, Home Fries split the mod into one "base portion", containing the (now obsolete) radio freq. stuff and also the coordinate stuff in i.e. NATO.lua, and several aircraft specific portions that contain the respective changes to their comm.lua.

• 7 months later...

2019. 9th of July

on DCS V2.5.5

Brief guide about How to use JTAC on KA-50

1. install "JTAC Coordinates in Lat/Long [uPDATED]" with JSGME prior to "JTAC ka-50"

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304451/

Note : in lat/long , you can find 2 types of mods (DD/DMS), which doesn't matter. just pick one of them.

2. then install above "JTAC KA-50 V1.6" with JSGME

3. then you can see the UTM,lat/long being bracsted together in your JTAC communication.

• 1 year later...

I have been experimenting with the JTAC mod and found that I can't get a ground-based HMMWV to call out a target when using an FM channel (28 & 30 tested). However, I can get an HMMWV to call out its target when using an AM channel (124 in my case). I was careful to make sure I was on the correct radio in-game when testing. I made sure the HMMWVs had LOS on their targets. Also, I can't get an airborne JTAC (Reaper) to work at all, whether on AM or FM. Should airborne JTACs work with this mod?

The issue with the HMMWV is not really a problem, but I would like to be able to use airborne JTACs if at all possible.

Thanks,

Paul