[CANNOT REPRODUCE] AA Tacan Y Channel

AvroLanc

It seems that the Y Channel for Air to Air Tacan doesn't work right.

If I set the Tacan channel to for example a tanker, in the ME to the Y channel, in game the Tacan responds with the only the X channel selected.

Actual functionality works fine with X, but I should expect it to only work with Y channel. Setting Y channel on the UFC gives nothing.

I second this bug. I've noticed it for a while but never reported it. I always set Tanker to Y channel, but no TACAN info shows unless I switch to X channel even though the freq. is set to Y in the ME.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 3 months later...

I think it’s a sim wide bug. Doesn’t work for Hornet and Hog either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

It seems that the Y Channel for Air to Air Tacan doesn't work right.

If I set the Tacan channel to for example a tanker, in the ME to the Y channel, in game the Tacan responds with the only the X channel selected.

Actual functionality works fine with X, but I should expect it to only work with Y channel. Setting Y channel on the UFC gives nothing.

Same here in current OB 2.5.3.24984

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Track file as requested.

tacanXY.trk

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

track with 5*Y and 1*X AA stations

For AA tacan:

I don't understand why we must set the UFC X for Y stations for bearing and RANGE,

why only bearing displayed if we set to Y in UFC.

I don't understand why X stations display BEARING only when we set UFC to Y.

tacanXY_discwalker_noscript_6stations.trk

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

• 1 month later...

You are welcome for the tracks. You still need more?

The misunderstanding is complete.

Watch the Arco's tacan: Y4 string:"AY4" (A10C replaced with KC135)

Only working when the UFC is set to X4!!

Tested with 2.5.4.26479ob

I hided other VALID AA tacans at mission start.

X11 string "X11" is working on UFC mode X11

What is the purpose of selecting Y chanel in mission editor advanced waypoint actions if only all

working in UFC X mode??

I not complained about multiplayer feature: 63 chanel offset AA tacan distance measuring

2,5,4,26479_AAtacanYnro4_noscript2.trk

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

No valid A/A TCN bearing was entered. This is also only supported for multiplayer.

Sorry Wags but I don't understand your answer (in context).

Other than that, we also have this problem (sometimes, not always) in our MP missions.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I have a few observations, although they might be slightly off-topic here.

What I noticed is that when I set a tanker to channel 70X (for example), this happens:

- on T/R 70X, there is nothing

- on A/A 70X, I have bearing and range

- on T/R 70Y, I have bearing

- on A/A 70Y, I have bearing

So I get the bearing signal but the range interrogation doesn't work.

I am unsure as to how exactly A/A TACAN works, so the following is speculation, but would explain what I observed.

This is what I have found are the TACAN frequencies (two for each channel, one for interrogation, one for reply).

Manual of Regulations and Procedures for Federal Radio Frequency Management, chapter 4c

Note that for Y channels, 70Y and 7Y, the two same frequencies are used; this is not the case for 70X and 7X.

For A/A TACAN to work, 70X and 7X must use the same two frequencies for interrogation-reply. I assume that in this A/A mode, 70X uses the same frequencies as 7X, namely 1031 and 968. So the TACAN is expecting interrogation on 968 and replying/broadcasting in 1031.

In this case we have the following:

- in T/R 70X we are 1094 (int) and 1157 (reply), so no signal

- in A/A 70X we are 968 (int) and 1031 (reply), so interrogation works and we receive the bearing signal

- in 70 Y we are 1094 (int) and 1031 (reply), so we get the bearing signal but interrogation (and therefore range) doesn't work.

This is the only way I could make logical sense of my observations; assuming it isn't a bug, of course. I must admit I have not tried with setting tankers to Y mode.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
In some mission I have Y channel working , in some Y selected but X working.

Same here

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

In our mission it is the same.

1 tanker with TCN 31Y A/A and bearing, the other with TCN 41Y A/A and bearing.

When Y channel selected in the F18, no HUD info and only bearing information is available on the DDI.

When changing it to the X channel in the F18, while tankers are setup as Y, HUD info is displayed and TCN bearing and distance is available on DDI.

Didn't test this with other planes.

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

• 2 weeks later...

Set up tanker mission via mission editor last night (before the OpenBeta update to 2.5.4.28090), used default TACAN of 1X and it didn't work--got spinning TACAN in T/R.

Punched in 1Y and it seemed to work fine. Will try with new update to OpenBeta.

Intel Core i7-6700@3.4GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip

I had the same problem when I created a tanker mission in the PG, worked fine with X not with Y

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg