ASW question...

fitness88

DCS used to have ASW key bindings that allowed control of ASW [ASW off, 45FPS, 90FPS] like OTT has, I can't seem to find them anymore.

Is OTT the only way to control ASW?

Thank you.

DCS has never had that ability.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Anti Submarine Warfare is currently not simulated in DCS.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I remember these shortcut keys for the rift that controls ASW. not sure if this what you mean.

Control-Numpad1: Disables ASW and returns to the standard rendering mode.
Control-Numpad2: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW disabled. Depending on the application, you are likely to experience judder.
Control-Numpad3: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW enabled. Enabling and disabling ASW will help you see the effects of ASW.
Control-Numpad4: Enables ASW. ASW automatically turns on and off, depending on whether the app maintains a 90Hz frame rate. This is the default runtime rendering mode.

There were ingame combo key strokes that worked quite well...perhaps they were directed toward OR.
Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

I remember these shortcut keys for the rift that controls ASW. not sure if this what you mean.

Control-Numpad1: Disables ASW and returns to the standard rendering mode.
Control-Numpad2: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW disabled. Depending on the application, you are likely to experience judder.
Control-Numpad3: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW enabled. Enabling and disabling ASW will help you see the effects of ASW.
Control-Numpad4: Enables ASW. ASW automatically turns on and off, depending on whether the app maintains a 90Hz frame rate. This is the default runtime rendering mode.

those are them and they still work for me anyways, on open beta

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Those key combos for ASW settings are Rift software settings, not DCS software.

Why the blazes Oculus did not just include that in a user friendly GUI in their software is beyond me.

AFAIK the key combos still work, though some have reported them to be "iffy" at times.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks all for the follow-up and clarification.

Is that left or right ctrl?

Any feedback on the 4 different ASW options?

I seem to get best results on my system with ASW off.

Don B

I seem to get best results on my system with ASW off.

The blurriness of instrument panels when moving your head rapidly from left to right when ASW is switched off, makes ASW essential for me.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The blurriness of instrument panels when moving your head rapidly from left to right when ASW is switched off, makes ASW essential for me.

I can't recall seeing such blurriness. Perhaps I do not move my head as rapidly or something. I am getting old...

Don B

ASW is there to help machines that can’t maintain the proper frame rate.

if your machine doesn’t need help, you can turn it off...

then again, if your machine doesn’t need help, it will never kick in in the first place. so it doesn’t hurt to leave it on.

I can't recall seeing such blurriness. Perhaps I do not move my head as rapidly or something. I am getting old...

Blurriness was perhaps the wrong word, stuttering might be better.

It's all down to what fps you are running. I prefer to have very high settings and a lower fps.

With AWS off, and if you are getting 90fps, you will not see the effect I am talking about. With frame rates of 50-80 and AWS off, just sit on the ramp in a F-5 or Hornet, etc. and move your head left and right. You will see what I mean. The same effect at between 45 and 90 fps can be seen by rolling left and right quickly when in flight. Switch AWS on, and none of this happens.

I run at a very smooth 45fps with AWS on and am very happy with the performance.

The only down side of AWS, in my opinion, is that on WWII planes, it has a horrible effect on props, and that is hard to take when flying the Spit! The effect I am talking about is less of an issue in WWII planes as they tend to have larger instruments, so maybe they are best with ASW off to avoid that horrible prop effect.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well for whatever reason on my system I get a much better experience that appears very smooth to me, with ASW set to off. And I certainly can not maintain 90 fps, don't think any system today can do that.

Only time I get stuttering that is noticeable is when my fps drops much below 45 fps.

Don B

Well for whatever reason on my system I get a much better experience that appears very smooth to me, with ASW set to off. And I certainly can not maintain 90 fps, don't think any system today can do that.

Only time I get stuttering that is noticeable is when my fps drops much below 45 fps.

It's not a low fps type stuttering of the type you are referring to, it's like a ghosting. This has been mentioned quite a few times in the past as a ASW effect, both here and on other forums.

It's easy to see. Just sit on a ramp with very high settings, move (not turn) your head left to right a few times and see the effect on instrument dials. Using ctrl-numpad commands switch ASW on, and the effect disappears.

ASW is there to help machines that can’t maintain the proper frame rate.

if your machine doesn’t need help, you can turn it off...

then again, if your machine doesn’t need help, it will never kick in in the first place. so it doesn’t hurt to leave it on.

I'm kind of with you on that. the only issue is that ASW does have some bad effects, e.g. the props on WWII aircraft.

feedback on 4 options of ASW

#1: control-numpad + 1, not good, blurry

#2: control-numpad + 2 not good, blurry

#3: control-numpad + 3 better

#4: control-numpad + 4 better, seems the same as #3 except it'll give you 90fps at higher altitude and over water.

Edited by fitness88

Anti Submarine Warfare is currently not simulated in DCS.

Can't tell if you are being serious or not? :huh:

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

from anti submarine warfare (ASW)

to all wheel steering (AWS)

try asynchronous spacewarp.

and

asynchronous timewarp.

timewarp is the one you cant turn off.

ASW locks the game engine to 45 fps and warps every other frame to make 90.

timewarp makes adjustments to frames if the head is moved during render. so the frame is not dropped. this runs all the time and does not limit the engine. but it can be as jerky as a dropped frame to someone using the headset.

ergo those having a jerky time with ASW off are having a problem with ATW. and need to move their heads less.

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.