Shaders mod for better VR FPS

hansangb

I don't know if everyone here reads the DCS Mods forum. So I thought I'd mention it here. Would be best if folks followed up there with any questions/comments.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3559379&postcount=1

Too bad you can't cross post.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I use masksize 0.60f with my rift, and it works great. I think it may be some personal preference with this. It may vary some with IPD and if you use a thinner face pad. I use the VR Cover thin pad, and my eyes are slightly closer to the lenses, compared to the stock Rift.

I have read about Rift users using 0.58-0.64 masksize.

The shader mod works really well, and the performance increase is substantial.

Agreed... Everyone with a VR HMD needs this. ASAP.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

with my rift I've been using .600 Indeed, this IS an awesome mod!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Does this improve FPS if CPU limited as well, or is it primarily for GPU limited setups?

I’m more CPU limited than GPU...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Does this improve FPS if CPU limited as well, or is it primarily for GPU limited setups?

I’m more CPU limited than GPU...

Unfortunately not. I have the same problem. But, I was able to turn on MSAA x4 without performance loss!

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Agreed... Everyone with a VR HMD needs this. ASAP.

Didn't make any difference to my performance at all, and I run with much higher settings than recommended with that mod.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Didn't make any difference to my performance at all, and I run with much higher settings than recommended with that mod.

Maybe it didn't increase your FPS but I assure you it made a difference to your performance :). It's not possible for it to not have made a difference unless it was installed wrong somehow. Do you see the circular mask on the desktop window when this is installed?

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Can someone give me a step by step guide on how to install this I don't fully understand the read me file that comes with it?

Which part are you having an issue with?

Maybe it didn't increase your FPS but I assure you it made a difference to your performance :). It's not possible for it to not have made a difference unless it was installed wrong somehow. Do you see the circular mask on the desktop window when this is installed?

Sorry, can you explain what you mean by ‘not possible’? I see performance as being a combination of FPS and rendering quality, and I didn’t see an increase in either with this mod.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I did not get any more FPS out of my system, because the bottleneck is my CPU. But I was able to enable MXAA x4 and still keep same FPS. So, my GPU was less busy and could handle the additional workload. Also, MXAA is only Applied to the middle of the scree, which makes a lot of difference for VR, as with higher pixel density the resolution is cranked up and that has a x2 impact on performance.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Which part are you having an issue with?

I think from memory I had to delete some files first but when I did the SIM wouldn't load so I replaced what I deleted and it now loads ok so I must have misunderstood some part of the process. I don't have the read me to hand now so can't remember the process but it didn't work for me so if anyone can explain how to do it. I can give it another go

You need to copy your Bazar folder and overwrite the existing files in there with the ones from the zip file.

Then you just need to rename all your C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs for each map you have, then you are good to go.

It takes a LONG time to load first time. Can be up to 10 minutes. Patience!

I did not get any more FPS out of my system, because the bottleneck is my CPU. But I was able to enable MXAA x4 and still keep same FPS. So, my GPU was less busy and could handle the additional workload. Also, MXAA is only Applied to the middle of the scree, which makes a lot of difference for VR, as with higher pixel density the resolution is cranked up and that has a x2 impact on performance.

Right, that's the way I'm now seeing it. I now have the ability to run 4x MSAA at the same FPS rather than the x2 I was using before. I can also run 2x PD up form 1.5, but not sure about that. I seem to get blurring in the cockpit when moving my head quickly. I went back to 1.5 on that.

You need to copy your Bazar folder and overwrite the existing files in there with the ones from the zip file.

Then you just need to rename all your C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs for each map you have, then you are good to go.

It takes a LONG time to load first time. Can be up to 10 minutes. Patience!

Thanks for that I got it to load up by waiting forever but it comes up with an error message when loading a mission so somethings wrong at my end but thanks anyway

@johnco61

There is a glass shader that can cause a crash. Look through the original thread as there's a solution there.

Right, that's the way I'm now seeing it. I now have the ability to run 4x MSAA at the same FPS rather than the x2 I was using before. I can also run 2x PD up form 1.5, but not sure about that. I seem to get blurring in the cockpit when moving my head quickly. I went back to 1.5 on that.

@imacken

Exactly :).

I’m stuck, I’ve been trying all day with this and simply can’t can’t any improvement. Not sure where I’m going wrong. I haven’t changed any settings either.

Deleted the metacaches in each map and renamed the dcs folder to .doc

Deleted everything from the saved games fxo and meta2 folders

Copied the shaders folder to my desktop and replaced the files within it with the downloaded ones. No performance gain.

Tried the same using ovgme. No performance gain.

I get the weird looking grass though but the frames are still crap.

Any suggestions? I really could do with getting some decent fps like most people seem to. I’ve tried with the spit, Harrier and hornet so far on a couple of instant actions ready on ramp - 15-17 fps!! With or without the mod installed.

Cheers

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

You probably have a CPU bottleneck. Same on my system. No performance gain, but I was able to enebke MSAA x4 without performance gain.

When you did all this how long did it take DCS to boot and how long to load a mission? I don't understand all the deleting you did, I just renamed the metacaches for each map and copied the shaders over

1. Remove all Mods from your current version of DCS so that it is in stock form.

2. Update DCS to latest version.

3. Run latest version to make sure all is working.

4. You need to copy your Bazar folder and overwrite the existing files in there with the ones from the zip file.

6. It should take about 10 mins or so to load up the first time, if not something went wrong

Edited by johnco61

When you did all this how long did it take DCS to boot and how long to load a mission? I don't understand all the deleting you did, I just renamed the metacaches for each map and copied the shaders over

1. Remove all Mods from your current version of DCS so that it is in stock form.

4. You need to copy your Bazar folder and overwrite the existing files in there with the ones from the zip file.

6. It should take about 10 mins or so to load up the first time, if not something went wrong

You need to delete the files in Saved Games fxo and metashaders2 as well.

Yep, I did all that like I tried to say in my first post, and delete the fxo and meta2 files like it says in the instructions. And yes, it did take about 10 mins or so to load the sim to load. Cheers

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |