Air intakes...Mig29 and SU-27 ...question.

NY3D

I have always wondered why the Mig-29 is the only aircraft that has closing doors and louvers on the intakes.I read that was intended to protect the engines from F.O.D. (forein object damage...excuse my spelling)If this is true then why was'nt this feature implemented on other aircrafts like the SU-27 and others.Strange,as far as I know the mig29 is the only aircraft with this feature.(I could be wrong though.).Thanx for the input.

The Sukhoi's have a wire mesh instead of the solid doors that the Mig-29 has. If I remember correctly, later versions of the -29 have the same wire grill as it saves on weight.

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Yeah, the doors are designed for that purpose only... while taking off and landing on rough and unprepared conventional airfields for which the MiG-29 was designed for... engines get air supplied from those "ribs" looking intakes on top of fuselage.

No longer active in DCS...

Just a wild guess here. Since the Su-27 was a PVO interceptor it was expected to operate from well equiped soviet airbases. While the MiG-29 is a VVS fighter that might need to operate from improved strips in germany, so it needed FOD prevention.