Air Brake

noisy_lightning

Is there a way we can set the air brake to fully deploy and fully retract at a single press of a button from in game.

I am using an X55 and the natural switch on the throttle for the air brake is a single position switch, on other modules (Harrier, Mirage etc) I have a profile setup for it to press the keyboard command (B) in game on both press and release of the HOTAS switch which works great.

On the A10 and FA18 though, because of the way the brake operates I have to build a macro to hold that key-press for 3 seconds to fully deploy or retract the brake, the only problem is that its just not reliable and flakes out half way some times because if I press another key whilst the macro is part way through running it cancels the air brake macro which then doesnt finish its deployment.

Can we please have an additional bind available to fully retract or deploy the air brake, or can someone let me know how to script this please?

Thanks

I'm still piecing together my control setup, but have you looked in the "Special for Joystick" section? That has quite a few ON/OFF settings, and my plan for after work is to look for a speed brake setting there for that BTN35 on the X55 TQ.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I'm still piecing together my control setup, but have you looked in the "Special for Joystick" section? That has quite a few ON/OFF settings, and my plan for after work is to look for a speed brake setting there for that BTN35 on the X55 TQ.

I did and there is one for toggle but it won't allow me to assign a keystroke to it in game. A keyboard binding is required for how I need to macro the command in the X55 software due to how that air brake button works on the X55 (have to macro a release command as well as a trigger) in game it does not detect the release, only the press.

Let me know if you have any luck.

Edited by noisy_lightning

Lightning,

Yeah, a toggle doesn't sound helpful. I did find a couple for the flaps (AUTO/HALF and FULL/HALF) so it would make sense to have a speed brake setting (OUT/OFF or something).

Hopefully, we'll find something that works.

EDIT:

Hey, Lightning -- there's another thread with a guy looking for a way to get a 2-position switch to work for his landing gear (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210309) and that approach looks like it might work for the speed brakes. The variable would have to be changed, of course, but it looks promising.

Edited by Yoda967

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

Thanks, Cofcorpse.

If it helps, the slider button on the right throttle of the Saitek X55 TQ is an ON-OFF switch. What seems like it would work is a setting that allows for ON=EXTENDED/OFF=RETRACTED.

Sorry if you already understood that. Just hoping to be as clear as possible.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

• ED Team
If it helps, the slider button on the right throttle of the Saitek X55 TQ is an ON-OFF switch. What seems like it would work is a setting that allows for ON=EXTENDED/OFF=RETRACTED.

Does it have two commands for each position or it works like Warthog swtiches, signal is present in ON position?

Here, this will extend when pressed and retract when released

{down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Speed Brake Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('_Custom'), _('HOTAS')}},

Quick question regarding the speed brake for the F/A-18C. Does this only have 2 possible positions (fully extended/full retracted), or can it be used incrementally (as in slightly extended for small braking)?

CrEfGHz.png

Edited by gharness84

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_______Spreading peace. One JDAM at a time. :beer:_______

Is used incrementally.

source?

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Regarding the airbrake on the F-18

I don't know if it's only me but when extending the brake you can stop it at any position

However retracting always retracts it completely. I am unable to stop the retracting process unlike the A-10C

Please add this bind option. I simply don't have enough buttons on the X52 to bind incremental use

A simple toggle for all the way out and all the way in would suffice.

Saitek X52 | 4770k@4.3GHz | MSI 1080GTX Armor OC | TrackIR 5

Is there a way we can set the air brake to fully deploy and fully retract at a single press of a button from in game.

I am using an X55...

Can we please have an additional bind available to fully retract or deploy the air brake, or can someone let me know how to script this please?

+1 :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

According to this F-18 pilot it is fully extended or fully retracted.

He may remember wrong though ???

I saw that too. He did say that it opens to full but may be closed partially. Maybe he is just used to the 3-way semi-spring loaded switch like in the A-10 or F-16 which has an open-hold-close position and only the close position is spring-loaded.

That way a simple open switch throw would stay open hands off. Maybe you can halt an opening brake by returning the switch central by positive action. Bound to a TMWH with the half-sprung 3-pos switch might be perfectly correct but when using a keyboard key or simple joystick button the "it stays in the open switch position" behavior is masked because typical keyboard/joystick buttons are sprung.