Steam Release Date Update - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
NineLine
Community Manager

Default Steam Release Date Update

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet and Persian Gulf Map for DCS World - Available 1 June 2018 on Steam!

From the updated FAQ

Q: Will the Hornet also be available on Steam?
A: Certainly, and we plan to release it and the Persian Gulf map for Steam on Friday, the 1st of June 2018.

Please note that they were able to bring you the release earlier, but the discount will only be available to standalone users. If you need the discount, then consider switching to the standalone, or wait for a Steam sale.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 05-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
LieutenantFalcon

So, why did you guys ditch the discount (that you promised in the FAQ and is now edited away)?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #3
Acidictadpole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
If you need the discount, then consider switching to the standalone, or wait for a Steam sale.
You make it sound like "Switching" doesn't include a fairly substantial financial investment due to the policy of modules not being transferrable after the Mirage.

If you're trading off the discount for the earlier release date on Steam, I don't know if you guys made the right call there.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
Timotsuky+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidictadpole View Post
You make it sound like "Switching" doesn't include a fairly substantial financial investment due to the policy of modules not being transferrable after the Mirage.

If you're trading off the discount for the earlier release date on Steam, I don't know if you guys made the right call there.
+1
Old 05-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
Wags
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutenantFalcon View Post
So, why did you guys ditch the discount (that you promised in the FAQ and is now edited away)?
We had originally planned to bring it to Steam customers after the Hornet was complete and out of Open Beta, which will take months. As a form of compensation, we had planned to provide the same discount as the e-Shop pre-purchase for the first week of Steam sales. After hearing from our Steam customers though, we understand it’s important to offer it without delay. As such, we will release the Hornet to our Steam users the same week as our e-Shop users. However, because of this, we can no longer offer the discount given the conditon of the discount no longer exists.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
madeiner

I really think this will result in way more negative reviews than the other way around.

Also: will the aircraft participate in summer steam sales?

Last edited by madeiner; 05-28-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeiner View Post
I really think this will result in way more negative reviews than the other way around.

Also: will the aircraft participate in summer steam sales?
Many people have already stated they are happy they wont have to wait months for the Hornet, so we will see.

And Valve's rules on release pricing wont allow it to go on sale for a few months.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 05-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #8
Acidictadpole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
However, because of this, we can no longer offer the discount given the conditon of the discount no longer exists.
That condition wasn't really conveyed to anyone in the wording of the original FAQ though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags
Q: Will the Hornet also be available on Steam?
A: Certainly, and with a discount for the first week because the Hornet will not be available for pre-purchase on Steam. It will release on Steam once we have a build we feel offers a quality, complete experience. We have no time estimate when this will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
And Valve's rules on release pricing wont allow it to go on sale for a few months.
I don't think this is true. Valve offers launch day sales provided that you don't want to put the items in a seasonal sale within 30 days of your launch sale (the policies are public). Then again I'm not entirely sure if this is different for DLCs but it doesn't state that anywhere in the policy.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #9
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidictadpole View Post
That condition wasn't really conveyed to anyone in the wording of the original FAQ though.
We were certainly bracing for a long wait on the the Hornet.

"It will release on Steam once we have a build we feel offers a quality experience."

This could have meant months as more complete systems would have been needed to offer a quality experience. And by the time the Hornet is available to be put up on sale sounds like it could be months anyways, so if you wait for a sale, you are basically getting the old deal, besides that it will be available sooner at full price.
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 05-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #10
Acidictadpole

I think I understand the shift then. You're allowing people to grab it on Steam earlier than anticipated so they could get it at the same time as Standalone people. The sale _may_ still happen when it comes out of Early Access on Steam, but we don't know yet.

Does that seem fair?
Closed Thread