Memory Limit/Load Issues - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
NineLine
Community Manager

Default Memory Limit/Load Issues

Hey guys,
This post is to clarify the issues that some have been having with 2.5, and to clarify what is going on, and the best way to approach working with it.

First, this is NOT a memory leak. A memory leak would be that usage of RAM continues to increase during running of the sim until it uses all you memory and the program crashes or stops responding.

What is actually happening is that with 2.5 and all its new features, people are hitting their RAM limit on load of maps. Why? Well 2.5 has added higher object counts, from collide-able trees, new buildings, more buildings, and other objects to make the maps look more alive and detailed. Include in this higher detailed textures and you can see how more RAM is needed.

Currently ED is testing a solution that will help much of this. The initial version of the dynamic texture unload manager which will greatly improve performance for heavy online missions is currently under test and should be available for users within the coming two weeks. We apologise for the delay but a last minute issue arose with this module.

What can you do while you wait? Adjusting older missions from 1.5, especially for multiplayer, by removing un-needed units can help. Mission design can really help manage RAM usage, and for the time being will be the best bet to help. As well, look at your computer specs, by no means does ED demand you guys upgrade to 32GB, but if you are running 8GB, you may need to evolve with the times, and understand that as ED offers bigger more detailed environments, the demands on your system will need to evolve as well.

I hope this clarifies a little more of what is going on, and that ED is truly working to make this the best experience for all.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**

Last edited by NineLine; 04-06-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
Magic Zach

Two more weeks!
Thanks for the update, Nine.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Johnny_Rico

So from your post doing the following should reduce RAM use

1. Reduce textures (Textures and Terrain Textures)
2. Reduce preload radius to a lower value

Both of these should help out ? and reduce the amount of RAM being used ?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
AJaromir

Is possible that there can be memory leaks by bad made scripts? Like in CTLD script or in SLmod or in some unofficial addons like Simple radio or TacView?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico View Post
So from your post doing the following should reduce RAM use

1. Reduce textures (Textures and Terrain Textures)
2. Reduce preload radius to a lower value

Both of these should help out ? and reduce the amount of RAM being used ?
If you examine the issue yourself, you will see that a large amount is used on launch of a mission, and then it stabilizes, the issue happens when people hit their RAM limit before it can stabilize. The pre-loader will help, but untill then the only option is reduce the RAM load or increase the RAM limit.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Johnny_Rico

By Grabthars HAMMER ... what a savings!

Loaded a mission of mine,
ran it for 2 mins (no flying, just sitting in my pit)

My normal "high" settings = 11.6G of RAM used (@ 2 min mark)

Changed settings to "low" = 5.1G of RAM used (@ 2 min mark)

Last edited by Johnny_Rico; 04-06-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Kokomakak

My rig (Dell gaming laptop) is already maxed out at 32 GB of RAM so that explains why I never experienced these memory issues. If you have the cash and RAM slots upgrading your RAM is another way to go until ED releases the fix.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJaromir View Post
Is possible that there can be memory leaks by bad made scripts? Like in CTLD script or in SLmod or in some unofficial addons like Simple radio or TacView?
I dont know, beyond Tacview, I dont use much, when testing we use clean installs, its up to the people building mods and addons to test their own stuff, and if you run into issues that others dont have, the first thing to do is remove addons like this.
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 04-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokomakak View Post
My rig (Dell gaming laptop) is already maxed out at 32 GB of RAM so that explains why I never experienced these memory issues. If you have the cash and RAM slots upgrading your RAM is another way to go until ED releases the fix.
Yup, and honestly expect for some heavy duty MP missions, my 16GB rarely causes me much issues except for some delyaed loading. Hasnt stopped me from sending an invoice to the wife request the purchase of more RAM
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 04-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Thanks, I have a system with 8gb and I notice DCS will keep unnecessary stuff in the RAM after you finish a mission, that makes my system very slow when I return to the menu. I assume DCS isn't managing the RAM very well, hence the reduced performance. It's basically stagnating my system, but if it could somehow remove the files that aren't being used from the memory, it would be a huge improvement.

I could be wrong but I'm going to try to give an example; You fly the A-10C for a while, the game will load all the necessary stuff and will keep that in the RAM, now if I jump into other cockpit, let's say the Harrier, DCS is still keeping A-10C stuff in my RAM, which I'm not even using it, I don't even need them, but it's still there. That's what I see at least, I know nothing about the subject.

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Closed Thread