size of kneeboard

jozeff

Hello all,

I have tried to adjust kneeboard size with the kneeboardbuilder. The size and position of the kneeboard however do not change when I am in dcs. Is there a .lua file i can tweak a bit to increase the size of the kneeboard?? Googling around but no luck so far. I use vr so thats why I need a bigger kneeboard.

Edit: it looks like kneeboardbuilder.exe has to be running during the game.... Is that correct?

Thank you!!!

Jozeff

Edited by jozeff

look at DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua

put something like this at the very top of the file:-

local kneeY = 800 -- size

local kneeX = 550 -- size

local kneePosY = 270 -- offset from top of leftmost monitor

local kneePosX = 1330 -- RH side of Leftmost monitor.

Then look for the following line:-

dedicated_viewport = {default_x,default_y,default_width,default_height}

And change to this:-

dedicated_viewport = {kneePosX,kneePosY,kneeX,kneeY}

Bear in mind that this is best done via some sort of mod manager such as Generic Mod Enabler, otherwise it will be overwritten the next time you update.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Kneeboard Builder for some time, and until 2.5 came out it worked fine. I still run it on 1.5, but like many others, I have found it vey troublesome over the past few weeks. I note that the original author of this utility has stated that he has stopped work on it temporarily, until 2.5 settles down.

With the KB Builder, after you resize and reposition it, and save it(top/left save button).. You have to then select it. Select it to apply it to the game by using the icon in the SysTray.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• 4 months later...

Reviving this old thread because the Yak-52 release forced me to go back and fiddle with a half-functioning Kneeboard Builder just to get everything working properly…

…which reminded me of the fundamental question: why is it that the default kneeboard are not accurate for the actual image dimensions that the kneeboard pages are using?

Kneeboard pages for the VFR/IFR charts that come with the Caucasus and NTTR maps are all made from 768×1024px images, and everywhere you look, the recommendation is to make your own kneeboards with a 3:4 aspect ratio, but when you look at them in-game, the kneeboard itself does not actually use that ratio. Instead, the default kneeboard uses something much closer to (but not exactly) a 2:3 ratio, which deforms anything that uses that normal ratio, and even the default images.

When and if KBB cooperates, you can kind of adjust that, but that's a big “if” and it shouldn't even be needed, imo. It doesn't make sense that the default kneeboard is not correctly set up to display the default images. To make things even stranger, it seems like some of those default images aren't even made with square pixels so adjusting the KB size still leaves them distorted, but in the other direction. :lol:

The attached image shows how it appears for me, both with an unmodded and a modded size — one is too narrow, with circular symbols appearing taller than they are wide; the other is too broad (even when set to the exact dimension of the image used) and the same circular symbols now appear wider than they are tall. With “corrected” sizes, the error is almost exactly the same but in the opposite direction.

kneeboard.thumb.jpg.2ff7a0e5b87eb3645d8d89c80fed4b83.jpg

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 8 months later...

I can only reiterate that my above post works just fine with the latest build - it never stopped working, and I am using it right now. (OB 2.5.4.29585)

Note in the example I give - you don't need to use variables, and can type in the numbers directly - I just use them to make it easier to find where the numbers are edited.

Edited by mkiii

• 4 years later...
On 3/16/2018 at 3:20 PM, Snacko said:

With the KB Builder, after you resize and reposition it, and save it(top/left save button).. You have to then select it. Select it to apply it to the game by using the icon in the SysTray.

WHAAATT??? Who thought of that method?? I've banging my head for days on this. But you're right. It actually works that way.

• Like 1