Goodwood - Spitfire campaign in a mission - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Default Goodwood - Spitfire randomized scenario

I was really inspired by the Epsom campaign (bravo, Bunyap & Wags!), and I just didn't want it to end. Therefore, I created a scenario where I can keep going. It's a campaign in a mission. I'll explain what it means:

Your task is to lead Dalmat Red flight of No.602 Squadron on an armed reconnaissance patrol behind the lines in the area of Villers Bocage - Falaise - Lisieux - Cabourg, but you can choose a different route too. Each time you will face different ground and air targets at different places. At times the skies will be empty, at times you'll run home with your tail between your legs after a big furball with the Luftwaffe. Oh, and did I mention it's July 17, 1944? The day 602 strafed Rommel's staff car. So watch out, he might be out there somewhere too...or not.

Cross the lines at no less than 7,000 feet due to heavy flak, then descend to lower altitudes, and let your flight call out ground targets. They have very good eyes

Check the briefing for engine start and takeoff times.

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...6046/index.php

A coop version is attached to the post.

Enjoy, I hope you'll like it!

Attached Files
File Type: miz Spitfire MkIX - Goodwood - Coop.miz (760.0 KB, 26 views)

"The Big Show" Spitfire Mk.IX Campaign
"Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" P-51D Campaign
"Jagdflieger" Bf-109K-4 Campaign
Follow my FACEBOOK PAGE for regular updates
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1

Last edited by Reflected; 01-10-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
I was really inspired by the Epsom campaign (bravo, Bunyap & Wags!)
Fixed
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Fixed
Oh, sorry, indeed! Bunyap & Wags!

B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Old 01-04-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
Reflected

Download link added to the first post. Feedback is more than welcome, as always!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Reflected

I updated the mission file in the user files section.

I increased the general skill of enemy planes, because they always got slaughtered too fast. Not there are a lot more "random" AI rather than "average"

Old 01-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Justificus

Just noticed this and went to download it but it's missing. Will try again later. Thanks for doing this, looks real interesting!!

System Specs:
Spoiler:
i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus Rift, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf
Justificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justificus View Post
Just noticed this and went to download it but it's missing. Will try again later. Thanks for doing this, looks real interesting!!
Missing? :O

How come? The link didn't work, or the download button?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...6046/index.php

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think of this concept once you try. I'm currently working on an even bigger and even more randomized P-51 scenario.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #8
Justificus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
Missing? :O

How come? The link didn't work, or the download button?
Clicking on the download button gave me a page saying the file was missing. Apparently I tried too soon? tried again later and got it no problem. Hope to be able to check it out tomorrow or the next day depending on how long it takes to deal with the snow that I still have left to deal with...

System Specs:
Spoiler:
i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus Rift, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf
Justificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:54 AM   #9
Stonehouse

Good missions Reflected thank you for them. I tried the P51 mission with a friend a week or so back one evening and enjoyed it. Few passing thoughts for you which hopefully you find constructive.

(1) Please consider a co-op version as well as the single player one. I edited your P51 mission to convert it to a co-op fairly easily although it has some obvious impacts on your triggers.
(2) Not enough flak in my view. At this time of the war the Germans were already swinging over to flak being a major part of their air defences. Especially mobile light flak guns were heavily concentrated near important points or setup as flak traps to stop fighter bomber attacks or lure them to their destruction.
(3) While editing to make it co-op I noticed that a lot of your vehicles seem to use a very complicated waypoint set to make them act as if on a patrol route. eg "atmosphere" vehicles and infantry around player start airfield. If you were to use Mist or Moose there are simple to implement methods of getting them to retrace their footsteps and then go back again or there is now the new adv waypoint action to get them to go to a waypoint of your choosing. The latter has an issue in that I think the unit goes directly straight path to the nominated waypoint which might cause traffic issues. I saw that you'd been careful to avoid taxiways etc so the mist/moose method would probably give you best results as they follow the same path back and forth.
(4) You may want to consider switching off the AI when the players are far enough away using conditions, triggers and zones as this would allow you have more units overall in the mission or give better performance if you keep it the same size. So for example when player aircraft are say 20kms from the start base you could deactivate the vehicles and infantry -essentially they become like static objects- and then reactivate them when the players come back.

Last edited by Stonehouse; 01-07-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Stonehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
Reflected

Thank you for the feedback Stonehouse! Good points. I find it interesting to hear you would like MORE flak. With the current amount of flak batteries my wingmen get shot down quite often, so I thought more of it would only cause frustration. I'll see what I can do.

I definitely don't have enough free time to get into scripting such as Moose/Mist, but I understand they offer far better solutions to what I wanted to achieve. Maybe one day...

I'll also look into deactivating objects.