How to Correctly Install Your Mods - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #1
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Reputation power: 32
uboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to all
Default How to Correctly Install Your Mods

Since recent update, here come several IC issues caused by mods.
In this post, I will share what I know about mods installation

Usually, players installed their mods directly into DCS installation folder, which is not a proper way, since this could break object world ID, especially for those of 3rd parties.

Quote:
The DCS loads and registers declarations based on read sequence, if the wsType/Type is defined by PLACEHOLDER.
Therefore, if under "DCS/CoreMods/aircraft/", you added a mod with name "MiG-20", then it will be read before MiG-21 and MiG-21's payload world ID will be completely different.
In MP, this will let you see completely different payload model, etc
1. DCS mirror under "Saved Game/DCS.xx/"
  • This is a mirror of DCS installation and follow the same folder structure of your DCS installation folder.
  • You can move all your mods which you put them under "DCS/CoreMods/" or "DCS/Mods/" to here with same structure.
    "Saved Game/DCS.xx/CoreMods/aircraft/Ship_AI"
    "Saved Game/DCS.xx/Mods/aircraft/F-104_Flyable_Mod"
  • This will let all the world ID declared in mods not break those for authorized modules.

2. Liveries [recommended in Saved Game]
  • It's better to put the liveries under "Saved Game", since it's much easier to manage
  • For those who have multiple DCS installs, you can use folder link to keep only one copy of liveries
    a. enter saved game/dcs.xx/
    b. open cmd and navigate to above path
    c.
    Quote:
    mklink /d Liveries source_path_to_liveries
    *. same to Kneeboard
  • This not only works for skins, but also customized cockpit liveries

Just tried, and found that IC may change its logic
so below ways cannot be used in MP
Tried several ways, none works
Quote:
3. Texture Mods
  • Texture files now are protected by IC
  • But we're still able to install texture mods without breaking IC: [with below two conditions satisfied]
    a. developer must NOT add texture file extension name in their lua file
    Quote:
    i.e mount_vfs_texture_path (current_mod_path.."/Cockpit/Textures/F-86F-35-CPT-TEXTURES")
    b. developer must use zip file to store their original textures
  • Then we can create a folder with the same name of the texture zip file, and put all of modified textures files into it
    DCS will first load textures from zip, and then if find folder with same name,
    it will load from folder later and files from folder will override those from zip,
    then you don't need to worry about breaking IC

4. Terrain Mods [has to be in DCS install]
  • As stated above, the textures mods for CaucasusBase terrain follow the same rule fortunately
    Quote:
    i.e table.insert(vfstextures, dir.."vfstextures/LandTexturesWinter");
  • So it just costs more of your disk space instead of replacing the originals
  • Regarding the lua/cfg files used for Terrain Mods, it seems that they are not monitored by IC right now.
So above is ALL what I know about the DCS structure and tricks.
Although 3 and 4 do NOT work for latest IC, 1 and 2 are still recommended (reason due to NDA)

Best regards,
uboats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	savedgame.png
Views:	1476
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	165965   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod.png
Views:	1504
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	165966   Click image for larger version

Name:	liveries.png
Views:	1474
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	165967  

Click image for larger version

Name:	terrain.png
Views:	1419
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	165968   Click image for larger version

Name:	texture.png
Views:	1416
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	165969  

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities, Scripts, etc

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 2TB SSD + 1TB HDD |
| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Last edited by uboats; 07-17-2017 at 06:06 AM.
uboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Reputation power: 44
Esac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to allEsac_mirmidon is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

One of the most valuable posts EVER for us, DCS user.

I can´t rep you enough.

THANKS ¡¡¡

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6 - GTX 1060 EXOC KFA2 - 16 Gigas RAM 1.600 - 1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55 - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 AM   #3
M0ltar

Reputation power: 2
M0ltar is on a distinguished road

Awesome work! Im a bit confused though by your process for texture mods. Im not following the procedure needed in order to get them to work. It seems, in your description, that I am supposed to have the same thing in the folder and zip and that does not make sense to me.

Care to enlighten?
M0ltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
Rudel_chw

Reputation power: 8
Rudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really nice

Thanks a lot for the detailed info ... I will study how to use it for the mods and liveries that I use
Rudel_chw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

uboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to alluboats is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0ltar View Post
Awesome work! Im a bit confused though by your process for texture mods. Im not following the procedure needed in order to get them to work. It seems, in your description, that I am supposed to have the same thing in the folder and zip and that does not make sense to me.

Care to enlighten?
no, zip contains original texture files. you should put the mod texture files into folder (just modified ones)

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |
Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 AM   #6
M0ltar

Reputation power: 2
M0ltar is on a distinguished road

So what about the lua? Can the user modify the devs work and remove that stuff? Why was it there in the first place?
M0ltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:14 AM   #7
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0ltar View Post
So what about the lua? Can the user modify the devs work and remove that stuff? Why was it there in the first place?
you can only hope the dev wrote the lua in that way and pack the original texture files in that way, or texture mod has to break the IC.
if:
Quote:
mount_vfs_texture_path (current_mod_path.."/Cockpit/Textures/F-86F-35-CPT-TEXTURES.zip")
then it will only check the zip file and totally ignore the folder, if not given the extension name, it will recognize both zip and folder (must be same name)

Last edited by uboats; 07-17-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 AM   #8
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 31
BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

Not sure I understand everything. This is becoming a lot more complex than before. But this might explain my issues for opening some missions.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 AM   #9
VZ_342

Reputation power: 1
VZ_342 is on a distinguished road

So, if I understand...

Any mods that we had put into the main DCS directory (c:\program files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS\mods , for example) we should remove and put them in an identical folder tree within the c:\users\saved games\DCS\ directory?

This should be used for all mods, including liveries, terrain, and texture mods?

Last edited by VZ_342; 07-17-2017 at 03:51 AM.
VZ_342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:56 AM   #10
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ_342 View Post
So, if I understand...

Any mods that we had put into the main DCS directory (c:\program files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS\mods , for example) we should remove and put them in an identical folder tree within the c:\users\saved games\DCS\ directory?

This should be used for all mods, including liveries, terrain, and texture mods?
for mods/liveries, yes (and highly recommended)
for terrain/texture, no, since you need to put the modified dds files in the folder beside the original zip file