The RDR ConTrollR

I have finally finished my radar controller stick!

Using HOTAS thumbsticks and hats have never been my thing. Clumsy fingers, I guess.

When the Heatblur (fm Leatherneck) released the DCS: AJS 37 Viggen in early access I decided the time had finally come to make a radar controller. The Viggen uses a joystick on the left cockpit panel, behind the throttle, to control the radar and Rb75 (AGM-65A Maverick) targeting.

As it happens, I had a 'pincher' style gimbal laying around. It's a leftover from my VKB Black Mamba stick as I bought the new replacement cam gimbal, from VKB. VKB makes excellent stuff, and this leftover gimbal is still very good, even if it has been surpassed by their newer designs.

I also used the VKB Thrustmaster adapter, to connect to the gimbal.

I set out to make a stick that would resemble the Viggen radar stick, but not necessarily a 100% replica. I had to make design concessions due to CAD software limitations, lack of personal abilities and choice of material and electronic hardware. So bear with me if this isn't a perfect Viggen copy. :)

It should have the same functions as the real deal, though.

The stick grip has:

A rotary encoder wheel in the stick grip head.

A three stage trigger. (Signals for semi depressed, fully depressed, and released)

A three stage selector on top of the stick grip head.

Two buttons, one on the left side of the grip head and another on the right side, near the base.

The base has:

Proportional X&Y axes.

A 7 stage rotary selector.

A small rotary encoder in front of the stick, and a larger one behind the stick.

Two switches, of which one is guarded.

All in all, 27 button commands and two axes.

I designed the stick grip in TurboCad 3D and had it 3D printed at Shapeways.com.

The PCB designs are my own, made with help from both this forum and others.

I use a Teensy2 microcontroller and the fantastic MMJoy2 software to program the Teensy2.

I put everything inside a Hammond aluminium box and stuck a SAAB metal badge on it. Hey, it's for a Viggen, after all! ;)

IMG_1938.thumb.JPG.da593aa9d00b4bd9685c616ecf4da473.JPG

IMG_1939.thumb.JPG.cc141e77be0433c2840d83df83c86172.JPG

IMG_1941.thumb.JPG.68f0501e6f43dcbbf0d16fbe6642dd13.JPG

IMG_1940.thumb.JPG.07f0107a7a11597fa85a462214e43915.JPG

IMG_1942.thumb.JPG.f6875fc372a34924f11b54159fb639c8.JPG

Thanks, Brewnix!

I used Shapeways 'Strong&Flexible' https://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-and-flexible-plastic

I then sanded the parts and painted them with a automotive touch-up paint for exterior plastic car parts (bumpers and such). This paint is thicker than normal spray-can paint, levels well and covers small surface irregularities. I laid down maybe three layers, with light sanding in between.

• Like 1

I'd like to have one!

Would be great also for controlling a TGP. The slew control on the TM WH throttle is awful.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

very impressive, looks like something you bought off the shelf!

Thanks! Well, some parts are off the shelf items ;)

I'd like to have one!

The slew control on the TM WH throttle is awful.

I agree! I didn't like the one on the TM Cougar either.

• 5 months later...
Nice. Any details about the multi stage trigger?

Sure!

Here’s a vid I made during construction, to test the switches.

The upper switch closes approximately half way, and the lower switch closes at full deflection.

So the upper switch is held closed while the lower switch is activated.

When the upper switch is released, another button signal is sent.

So, the upper switch is directX button no. 1 and 3 and the lower switch is button no. 2.

When the trigger is pulled all the way and released, the button signals 1,2&3 is sent, in that order. Or just button signals 1&3 if the trigger is pulled halfway, and then released.

I hope that made any kind of sense ;)

Very Nice work indeed. Did you also build the gimbal? If so, I sure would like to see how you designed it. I'm almost ready to start building my own flight controls so I'm always looking for new ideas.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

It's more art and passion in building so I get you. And applaud you! Maybe I'll put my MS joystick to good use. Hmmmm :)

Is a BOM handy for your build?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 years later...