2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

So yesterday, Friday, was New Years Day.  A national holiday in most countries.

I think we can all survive without it until next Friday, it's not like there is going to be any real developments between Christmas and New Year anyway, its family time and for most people a break.  I would hope that ED are no different.  

Surprised someone has even made a thread on it to be honest - in the interim go fly a new module or learn how to use the ones you have 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

On 1/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, Hawkeye_UK said:

So yesterday, Friday, was New Years Day.  A national holiday in most countries.

I think we can all survive without it until next Friday, it's not like there is going to be any real developments between Christmas and New Year anyway, its family time and for most people a break.  I would hope that ED are no different.  

Surprised someone has even made a thread on it to be honest - in the interim go fly a new module or learn how to use the ones you have 🙂 

I think we´ll have to wait at least two or three more fridays, they are on holidays until the 11th so... expect the new goodies in the last two weeks of january 😛

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:

I think we´ll have to wait at least two or three more fridays, they are on holidays until the 11th so... expect the new goodies in the last two weeks of january 😛

Mind that last year we had both 3rd and 10th of January newsletters. We'll see tomorrow :thumbup:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

In connection with the information:
     “Note: Due to the new Russian Federation's information gathering regulations on Russian military equipment, we had to reconsider our plans to add new systems to the Ka-50. We are continuing with the cockpit update as well as the highly detailed updated exterior model. ", Included in Official News 2021 https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/160227-dcs-newsletter-discussion-thread/page/114/
I understand that the chance for a full Mig-29 module has melted like snow in the spring?

• Like 1

I was amazed at all the improvements that will be coming to DCS this year. I hope that one of the secret projects is the remodeling of aerial refueling where the probe behaves realistically with physics in the hoses, probes, etc.

• Like 3

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

15 minutes ago, padonis said:

In connection with the information:
     “Note: Due to the new Russian Federation's information gathering regulations on Russian military equipment, we had to reconsider our plans to add new systems to the Ka-50. We are continuing with the cockpit update as well as the highly detailed updated exterior model. ", Included in Official News 2021 https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/160227-dcs-newsletter-discussion-thread/page/114/
I understand that the chance for a full Mig-29 module has melted like snow in the spring?

Yeah, that part made me curious too. But then this is not really new to us here in the DCS universe. My understanding is that MiG-29 and Hind are still ok, anything more modern is not. Or would that include any russian military equipment that was ever used, say MiG-23 or similar? Would be interesting to hear more about this to have an idea of what we can expect in DCS at all in the future. Personally, I'm totally fine with Cold War equipment only, so my hope is that the aforementioned regulations do not rule out that as well.

Edited by Pilot Ike
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, the loss of the content of the new machines on the side of RED is the nail in the coffin of DCS World. Soon, only Western planes will fly in the sky, because you have to tell yourself the truth that FC planes are only FC. The full module Mig-29, Su-27 or Su-30 should be a priority, moreover, it is not some modern machine. It is known about the newer ones that there is nothing to dream about.

PS. Well, maybe I went overboard with that coffin nail, but at least nobody will miss it. Ha ha ha 🤣

Edited by padonis

What an impressive first newsletter of the year!!

If only half of the announced features make it to DCS in 2021, it'll be a great year!

(Personally I'm, by far, most psyched about the new clouds)

• Like 4

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

49 minutes ago, padonis said:

Unfortunately, the loss of the content of the new machines on the side of RED is the nail in the coffin of DCS World. Soon, only Western planes will fly in the sky, because you have to tell yourself the truth that FC planes are only FC. The full module Mig-29, Su-27 or Su-30 should be a priority, moreover, it is not some modern machine. It is known about the newer ones that there is nothing to dream about.

The more feasible solution is to do earlier BLUFOR aircraft that are comparable to REDFOR modules we can actually do.

• Like 8

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Interesting newsletter, you have a lot(like A LOT) on your table ED. I hope everything workes out as planed(atleast for things i care 😜 ). I'm a little disappointed that the Hind is now in the second quarter release timeframe. 😢

• Like 2

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Oh wow what an incredible newsletter! Am I glad I updated my computer hardware in advance, so I'll be able to fully enjoy the beauty!

Question though: @BIGNEWYor anyone else, can you please confirm the new clouds will also block LoS for AI units, so that we'll have more realistic dogfights through clouds for example? Thanks!

11 minutes ago, padonis said:

Well, there's still a question. Is the Mig-29 up to date? This is probably what many of us are curious about.

I doubt there will be a problem there. To me, the newsletter read like there won't be a "Black Shark 3", just a PBR/geometry/lighting update to bring the module up to DCS 2.5 standards. Hopefully this will free up some personnel to update the other helicopters as well 🙂

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

17 minutes ago, padonis said:

Well, there's still a question. Is the Mig-29 up to date? This is probably what many of us are curious about.

What do you mean by up to date? The only MiG-29 planned right now is the 9.12 MiG-29 Fulcrum A, which is the initial Soviet production variant of the early 80s.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

27 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

The more feasible solution is to do earlier BLUFOR aircraft that are comparable to REDFOR modules we can actually do.

This!

• Like 4

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I mean, is it still in the plans or will it be. Because as we can see, BS3 is unlikely to be finished. According to the announcement, they were to start doing the Mig-29 after BS3, so theoretically they could start. However, reading the latest news, his fate may be similar to BS3.

13 minutes ago, padonis said:

I mean, is it still in the plans or will it be. Because as we can see, BS3 is unlikely to be finished. According to the announcement, they were to start doing the Mig-29 after BS3, so theoretically they could start. However, reading the latest news, his fate may be similar to BS3.

That is the question. But the BS3 had some hightech stuff(for red) on its plate, that's probably the reason why it was canceled. A Mig-29A you can buy at every street corner - exaggerated said 😉

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

25 minutes ago, padonis said:

It was only discussed, not announced officially compared to the AH-64 for example. But reading the newsletter, I only understand that BS3 is dead due to restrictions on modern military tech in Russia. If they are able to release an old Mi-24 Hind, for sure, a similarly old Mig-29 is fair game. But it does confirm that anything modern, as in probably in use by the Russian air force, is out of the question.

I want to emphasize the courage to release such a detailed newsletter when some here might nitpick and hold ED accountable for anything as if it was a promise in blood. And it really looks like 2021 will be an exciting year!

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 2

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

6 hours ago, padonis said:

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a big problem, cause games never focus on a specific plane/side @@ Drama much? That's not relevant to DCS future.

Also, why do gamers have so much trouble understanding governments do not care about their hobby or if some ''enthusiast'' can't play a game? You guys routinely forget that these are real weapon systems and that politics does indeed factor in.

• Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I'm tempted to pre-purchase the Mi-24, because of its large discount  🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, zhukov032186 said:

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a big problem, cause games never focus on a specific plane/side @@ Drama much? That's not relevant to DCS future.

Also, why do gamers have so much trouble understanding governments do not care about their hobby or if some ''enthusiast'' can't play a game? You guys routinely forget that these are real weapon systems and that politics does indeed factor in.

This is understandable, but the Mig-29 and Su-30 are no secrets there, many countries have flown them and still fly. There is nothing secret anymore in them.

Edited by padonis

30 minutes ago, padonis said:

This is understandable, but the Mig-29 and Su-30 are no secrets there, many countries have flown them and still fly. There is nothing secret anymore in them.

By the Russian military secrec act is a problem, ED dont go to make them (dont like get to jail by a game). Has the same situations to a F-14D by Heatblur or other aircrafts.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, padonis said:

As I said in another thread, secrecy or classification is irrelevant. We're talking politics and national security. Flight manuals for any number of aircraft are declassified and perfectly legal to have in the USA, but if you carry it across state lines or give it to a foreign national it's a felony. I'm sure it's the same with Russia and many other countries. And again, this is about politics and the various countries tit for tating each other. They do not care about whether hobbyists can access their information.

• Like 4

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

What an exciting list for 2021 and beyond. 

Looks quite demanding for the team, but of course just reading the list doesn't account for work that has already been completed on some of these tasks.

Thanks for sharing your plans with us.  Looking forward to it all!  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Why does ED even focus on "Dynamic Campaign", isn't that gonna be purely singleplayer (or only very few players) anyways? If so, then I'd gladly pass on that feature and instead prefer ED to either

A) finally host official realistic PvP servers (ft. CSAR mod etc.) or for ED to

B) make sure that at least one certain PvP multiplayer-server finally (after 1-2 years..) stops banning loyal players for childish reasons (heated but still friendly discussion as example) and unbans those again. At least that PvP MP server just has way too much power, due to the nature of flawed management-structure on that server (the historically to-mankind-known infamous "1-man-full-authority" structure...)

I guess option B) is the way less exhausting option for ED... (Sometimes it just takes a short communication between respected ED staff and a PvP MP server management to improve MP for everyone... 😉 )

please, everyone, make sure you support PvP multiplayer in the right way, please always play on servers with a power-divided management structure (=several rational people having to vote about server-related decisions), thank you!!

Not referring to RSR server here (in my signature), that server is really awesome!

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence