Triple screen and Rift

Gunfighter6

All those with triple screen setup and bought the Rift, do you all disassemble your triple screens after you purchased the rift?

Currently, my setup is 3380 x 1920 and I'm also using Rift. Is it better to get ride off the tripple setup and just use one monitor since I'm no longer flying without Rift?

After the update, my fps on the 2.0 core is unplayable on rift. I have 1080 ti to boot.

Thanks,

G6

Win 10 · i9900K@stock · 4070Ti· ASUS Z390-A · SSD · 64Gb · TM Warthog · CV1 · Quest 2

I have kept my triple setup with my Rift/Vive because I still have titles that do not run in VR and also I like the real estate when I got a lot going on. Also, sometimes I just want to show people things and also sometimes just run things on them just to kinda watch while doing other things around the home..lol.

I dont know OP have seen quite a few people having problems with the 1080Ti and DCS, and while I am sure it will be fixed in the future, maybe its just particular to that card or your particular setup.

When people say its unplayable though its very difficult to know what they mean. Some people demand a certain level of performance that others dont share, or go purley by FPS counters. They may demand multiplayer on public servers with massive amounts of units and clouds, instead of being happy using the mission editor to tailor things to the VR experience.

When you say ' unplayable' whats wrong exactly, and how much are you expecting (where and how are you playing settings etc) from the game? My advice for enjoying DCS VR, is to create your own missions. There are definately large parts of the main game that are off limits due to fps drops or too many units, that will make the game unbearable in VR.

I sometimes wish I could go back to monitors because VR has limitations but I just cant go back, not only because its an utterly inferior experience but because after having been 1-1 with the virtual DCS world its actually feels wrong, as if things are no longer working as they should be. Its a simulation but you are actually flying!

If my headset was to explode tommorow I would no longer play DCS until I had a new one. Wouldnt matter if I had ten monitors!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Nope. VR isn't there yet for me. I did eventually change my triple screen to a single Ultrawide though.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Thank you all for the response. I don't have a fps counter but before the latest update I can run 2.0 (vegas) fairly smoothly, not 90 fps but somewhere around 25-30 fps. Now by eyeballing I think I'm getting around 5 fps and that's what I mean when I say unplayable. Literally, I can almost count the frames. On the 1.5 I can fly without any issues as usual and no sickness which is pretty smooth as usual. I understand the Vegas is demanding but it wasn't always like this until the most recent update that changed on me. I even lowered most of the settings from which I had before that were higher and no issues then.

My card is a Zotac FE 1080 Ti. I bought since it came out and never had and issues with any games really. I know it's not best card on the market but still I didn't have any problems before. All my Nvidia drivers are up to date. I was thinking if I go with just one monitor, would it help with DCS 2.0 in the Rift? Otherwise, I'm just going to keep my triple setup.

thanks

Win 10 · i9900K@stock · 4070Ti· ASUS Z390-A · SSD · 64Gb · TM Warthog · CV1 · Quest 2

Yes I have a 1080ti and find dcs world 2 unplayable!! It sometimes annoys me when people comment on this as though people are making it up.

I had no problems before the update and now the colour is washed out, it's too bright, it stutters, all the ground shadows are green and it's​ no where near as smooth as it was before the latest update. Others don't seem to be having problems so it must be related to the graphics card.

Going back to your original question yes I got rid of my three monitor setup because I don't see the point in dcs without the rift.

Yes I have a 1080ti and find dcs world 2 unplayable!! It sometimes annoys me when people comment on this as though people are making it up.

I had no problems before the update and now the colour is washed out, it's too bright, it stutters, all the ground shadows are green and it's​ no where near as smooth as it was before the latest update.

Are you running with deferred shading on? It is not so good in VR right now, way too bright. I turned that off.

I know they are working on that, should be getting a gamma adjustment hopefully in the next update.

Performance is pretty low, hopefully there will be much tweaking done by them in this department as well as we move forward.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I had no problems before the update and now the colour is washed out, it's too bright, it stutters, all the ground shadows are green and it's​ no where near as smooth as it was before the latest update. Others don't seem to be having problems so it must be related to the graphics card.

Going back to your original question yes I got rid of my three monitor setup because I don't see the point in dcs without the rift.

There are threads dedicated to helping with stutter issues etc. But it does annoy me when people download alpha builds and complain about performance w/o specifying the hardware spec, what "unplayable" means etc. My suggestion to those who don't want to tinker is to wait for the general release. It may be another year out (who knows) but alpha builds are *not* supposed to be rock solid.

It's

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

There are threads dedicated to helping with stutter issues etc. But it does annoy me when people download alpha builds and complain about performance w/o specifying the hardware spec, what "unplayable" means etc. My suggestion to those who don't want to tinker is to wait for the general release. It may be another year out (who knows) but alpha builds are *not* supposed to be rock solid.

It's

I'm not complaining I'm just commenting on having the same problems with DCS world 2 at the moment as Gunfighter2 the thread is about using 3 monitors!!

I'm well aware that it's an Alpha build the clues in the title thank you very much.

All those with triple screen setup and bought the Rift, do you all disassemble your triple screens after you purchased the rift?

Currently, my setup is 3380 x 1920 and I'm also using Rift. Is it better to get ride off the tripple setup and just use one monitor since I'm no longer flying without Rift?

After the update, my fps on the 2.0 core is unplayable on rift. I have 1080 ti to boot.

Thanks,

G6

I'm assuming you have a decent CPU, SSD, &memory if you have a 1080ti. You should try renaming the SAVED Games folder in your USERS\YourLoginName\ directory. You can save the config folder so you can copy it back in after DCS creates the SAVED games folder again. That way, you don't have to remap all the controls again.

Lot of folks are reporting good news with the above. And read up on the MSAA + Deferred shader threads as well.

good luck

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hansangb,

Thanks for the tip. My CPU is weak, it's only a 2600K. However, DCS 2.0 was working just fine right before the last update. I do have SSD and 32GB of RAM. I will check the MSAA and shader threads for help.

Thanks again,

G6

And don't discount the renaming the SAVED folders.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Got rid of my triple screen setup. Outside of Sims no games really sorry it and was tired of hacking in support and not really working. Replaced the setup with a single 49" 4k TV.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

I had double screens and went to triple screeens before I discovered DCS. I like having several windows open whether doing business or just web browsing/emailing. The additional real-estate is something I wouldn't want to do without and every time I use someone's single screen setup I get claustrophobic.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets say that I've suspended my dream of the triple display screen, and the 4th as a touchscreen.

VR has squashed that. All I need now is either a good "glove" or a funky way to enable the touch controllers. But we'll get there....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Is your 2600k OC'ed?

I'm running same CPU with 1080, and it seems that shadows (any type of) are massive FPS killers. Try turning off shadows (it sucks I know) and deffered shading (or whatever it's called). See if that helps..

10 years ago with my new computer of the time [a much weaker system than I have today] I was able to run Locon with full options yielding high frame rate. Today with my new system I'm able to run DCS full out on multiple screens again with high frame rates.

Is it only DCS or do all games today with VR perform the same given equal options?

Triple screen and Rift

Thanks,

G6

I use the Rift when flying CSAR in the UH-1 or CAP using the F-15 or SU-27. This is because the number of controls I need to perform my mission function are at my fingertips with my HOTAS and I don't need auxiliary displays or the keyboard (roller-ball-mouse mounted at the base of my flight stick).

On the other hand, when flying something more complex, I use my regular displays (1 large curved screen and two 8" USB-LCD displays for my MFDs, complete with 20-button bezels). This is for the A-10C, KA-50, M2KC.

I really like have both options at my disposal.

With regard to DCS 2.X. I have the same problems so I'm not flying it much these days. Waiting for the magical update that will make it usable with new shading etc. turned on.

Edited by N206LG

I use the Rift when flying CSAR in the UH-1 or CAP using the F-15 or SU-27. This is because the number of controls I need to perform my mission function are at my fingertips with my HOTAS and I don't need auxiliary displays or the keyboard (roller-ball-mouse mounted at the base of my flight stick).

On the other hand, when flying something more complex, I use my regular displays (1 large curved screen and two 8" USB-LCD displays for my MFDs, complete with 20-button bezels). This is for the A-10C, KA-50, M2KC.

I really like have both options at my disposal.

With regard to DCS 2.X. I have the same problems so I'm not flying it much these days. Waiting for the magical update that will make it usable with new shading etc. turned on.

Im surprised you can't operate the A-10 effectively in VR. I use the TMWH HOTAS in conjunction with VoiceAttack and a track ball. I don't feel in anyway compromised with VR, even in the A-10. Adapt and overcome.

Im surprised you can't operate the A-10 effectively in VR. I use the TMWH HOTAS in conjunction with VoiceAttack and a track ball. I don't feel in anyway compromised with VR, even in the A-10. Adapt and overcome.

It's not that I can't, it is that I prefer not to. With my TM-HOTAS, A10-C is a natural in VR. But, I really like using my physical MFDs. Also, accessing some of the other buttons and switches to the rear-left and the rear-right can be a little difficult in VR. Also, I can't use zoom the way I like, both when accessing controls and when flying.

I have the track-ball (stated earlier) and I have Voice Attack but use it (I know I need to integrate that in but haven't gotten round to it yet).

These are not big issues but since I have a choice I go with my preferences.

And, while I am proficient with the A-10C in and out of VR, the same cannot be said for the KA-50 and the M2KC. I suck on these two platforms and need to practice them a lot more. Maybe then I'll make the switch but not now.

It's not that I can't, it is that I prefer not to. With my TM-HOTAS, A10-C is a natural in VR. But, I really like using my physical MFDs. Also, accessing some of the other buttons and switches to the rear-left and the rear-right can be a little difficult in VR. Also, I can't use zoom the way I like, both when accessing controls and when flying.

I have the track-ball (stated earlier) and I have Voice Attack but use it (I know I need to integrate that in but haven't gotten round to it yet).

These are not big issues but since I have a choice I go with my preferences.

And, while I am proficient with the A-10C in and out of VR, the same cannot be said for the KA-50 and the M2KC. I suck on these two platforms and need to practice them a lot more. Maybe then I'll make the switch but not now.

Ok, different strokes. I'm addicted to VR! :)