The future of F-5E in DCS?

ThorBrasil

I would like to know if there will still be new features in the F-5E.

1 - Maverick.

2 - In-flight refueling probe.

:smartass: :thumbup:

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Thor,

I think they already covered these questions. Both answers are "no"... Shame, isn't?

Take care,

Sydy

actually they said had considered to the maverick feature, and would implement it, if they could find the enough documentation of the An/Apq 159 radar v2 ( current V3 is a standard Radar display) with the TV display screen.

post-300-0-78941000-1356641216.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• ED Team
actually they said had considered to the maverick feature, and would implement it, if they could find the enough documentation of the An/Apq 159 radar v2

Yes, you are correct. We want to add maverick capability as much as you all do, but there are some blind spots in our knowledge.

As for inflight refuel - it is not enough realistic to have on F-5E, but we are thinking about it too, IIRC

As for inflight refuel - it is not enough realistic to have on F-5E, but we are thinking about it too, IIRC

I would not think it 'unrealistic'. Plenty of F-5E with refueling probe. Yes, export models, but original F-5E even so. For example, the first Brazilian batch, 1975 (not the upgraded EM/FM).

The second Brazilian batch, 1988-89, used F-5E-3 and four F-5F from USAF Nellis and Williams did not have the probes. All were brought to F-5EM/FM circa 2005 with standard refueling probe and better avionics.

Obviously the F-5EM/FM would be out of the scope of the present F-5E-3 module, but the original 1975 F-5E should not be far from realistic.

Very happy to hear that thought was given to it.

As for the AGM-65, IIRC the scope was kind of problematic and never worked very well in the older versions. The MLU types might be a different story though.

Personally I would much prefer time and resources be spent on a refueling probe that saw widespread use than on a semi-obscure AGM capability.

Anyway keep up the good work! The F-5E is fantastic already.

-dolfo

if air refuel and maverick will be implemented, then i would happily buy it

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I don't think refueling probe was in original F-5E, as there is no mention about it in different USA manuals. It was probably a device for export.

How to define 'original'?

For export, yes for sure. But still original F-5E. Not a MLU/M/TigerIII etc. Unless you want to say only F-5E-1 is 'original'. Anyway, keep up the good work and thanks for what has been done so far.

How to define 'original'?

For export, yes for sure. But still original F-5E. Not a MLU/M/TigerIII etc. Unless you want to say only F-5E-1 is 'original'. Anyway, keep up the good work and thanks for what has been done so far.

We're using an F-5E-3 for our specific model of F-5E, and as far as I know, they were never fitted with a refueling probe. Even if we find evidence to the contrary, I doubt the model will be changed to include it as that would require a lot of extra work to model, code and damage model it. The Maverick on the other hand would require much less work to model on, and really if anyone knows about the AA/APG 159v2 please come forth with the information. If you know anybody who might know, friend of friends, that dude across the street, a guy wearing an F-5 baseball cap, ANYBODY, please let BST know. The capability expansion that would bring to the module would be fantastic and make it frankly the best 'starter' module of all the bunch.

Although I'd love a refuelling probe, I'd say go for full fidelity of the aircraft of reference.

Regarding Mavericks, please do something :) I love the F-5 but I feel like it is lacking of an "interesting" weapon.

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

I am aware that the simulated version is the E-3. So I asked if 'original' should be applied to E-1, making our version 'non-original'? What is the originality criteria. Anyway, it could safely be inferred the USA E-3 models were neither equipped with the refueling probe nor the AGM-65? The reports of AGM-65 usage I am aware of are export versions as well, so I can not understand why it would be more reasonable to have the maverick and not the probe.

Capability expansion could be considered nil for the F-5/maverick anyway. If it was a good thing and worked we would have seen more of it.

I am aware that the simulated version is the E-3. So I asked if 'original' should be applied to E-1, making our version 'non-original'? What is the originality criteria. Anyway, it could safely be inferred the USA E-3 models were neither equipped with the refueling probe nor the AGM-65? The reports of AGM-65 usage I am aware of are export versions as well, so I can not understand why it would be more reasonable to have the maverick and not the probe.

Capability expansion could be considered nil for the F-5/maverick anyway. If it was a good thing and worked we would have seen more of it.

Original to the E-3 version of the aircraft is what is obviously being referenced when talking about the original. The discussion on the Maverick is a capability one. They have no knowledge of how the Maverick interfaces with the systems. It is possible that the display has the capability to display Maverick information, even if it doctrinally never used, because the US E3s were aggressor trainers and not ground attack aircraft. However, they lack the specific information to be able to make that call. If someone has definite information saying that the display could operate in conjunction with the Maverick, then that capability will be added.

A refueling probe on the other hand is a full add on. it's new hardware attached to the aircraft, it's a panel on the cockpit dedicated to that, and it's a whole new model and damage model, lighting ect.

One is simply "Could it do it?", the other is changing the model and adding additional cockpit pieces.

Original as in F-5E-3 US Version,

The Export Versions had several "Optional" extras the US Version did not, the Refuel Probe being one of them.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Considering the FAB acquired a batch in 1974 and an ex-USAF batch in 1988, prior to the EM upgrade, they were very close to what we currently have.

More different than one might think. The first batch did have the refueling probes (ok, export version I know), a radio altimeter, V/UHF comms, ILS. The second batch (ex-USAF aggressors) had the 153 radar, no RWR, and some other details different from the E-3 depicted in-game (and it was an E-3 [edit: not so sure about the E-3 anymore, have also seen the SN described as plain E] version too, configurations may vary).

No argument against sticking to a specific version, but my opinion is that investigating the possibility of some E-3 versions being produced with the necessary structural reinforcements for fitting the refueling probe (it was detachable) is no more far fetched than investigating an E-3 with radar scope adapted for the AGM-65. And as I understand, one of the problems with the F-5 and AGM-65 was the unsatisfactory scope.

Finally I would like to make clear I am very happy with the current state of the DCS-F-5E module. It is by far my favorite module, and I would gladly purchase an F-5E for export with the air to air refueling probe should it ever be released (but not an M/MLU/III version).

No point in continuing to argue over preferences I think. I will continue to enjoy the module as-is and wish everybody good fun in the virtual skies.

Edited by dolfo
Unsure about some stuff.

No argument against sticking to a specific version, but my opinion is that investigating the possibility of some E-3 versions being produced with the necessary structural reinforcements for fitting the refueling probe (it was detachable) is no more far fetched than investigating an E-3 with radar scope adapted for the AGM-65. And as I understand, one of the problems with the F-5 and AGM-65 was the unsatisfactory scope.

Investigating if the Maverick can be used on the scope is paperwork and minor coding changes to hook up the functionality. Adding a refueling probe is to modify the cockpit, change the external model, textures, coding, damage model, lighting, ect. ect. ect. That is the difference between the two, and why a refueling probe will likely never come to the F-5E3 we have.

More different than one might think. The first batch did have the refueling probes (ok, export version I know), a radio altimeter, V/UHF comms, ILS. The second batch (ex-USAF aggressors) had the 153 radar, no RWR, and some other details different from the E-3 depicted in-game (and it was an E-3 version too, configurations may vary).

Finally I would like to make clear I am very happy with the current state of the DCS-F-5E module. It is by far my favorite module, and I would gladly purchase an F-5E for export with the air to air refueling probe should it ever be released (but not an M/MLU/III version).

No point in continuing to argue over preferences I think. I will continue to enjoy the module as-is and wish everybody good fun in the virtual skies.

Great research. Figured an E-3 was an E-3.

In the end, its up to Belsimtek to gauge whether the work required to create the necessary changes will be recouped in sales. A mod of the existing aircraft wont be that simple.

Great research. Figured an E-3 was an E-3.

Didn't figure anything. Just stating that 'E-3" is not specific enough to describe all sub-variants and several configurations may be available under the 'E-3' category. Namely the batch of US F-5E-3 with different radar, avionics, instrumentation layout etc. But this will lead nowhere of course. Enjoy, have fun.

Yes, you are correct. We want to add maverick capability as much as you all do, but there are some blind spots in our knowledge.

Thank you very much! But it would be cool to have as an option in the mission editor. Who wants to fly with the probe was only to activate. But anyway, thank you! The F-5 is my favorite module and only flight with it since launch. I abandoned all the modules already released. :thumbup:

Not sure if this helps...

"An optional electro-optical mode presents on the cockpit display video information such as that obtained

from the Maverick air-to-surface missile. The image is made up of 16 shades of grey and can be expanded by a factor of two if required. "

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1979/1979%20-%201126.PDF

"It was initially offered in four separate models with the same radar electronics, but different displays. The APQ-159-1 and -2 models used a display that could operate in television mode to operate the AGM-65 Maverick air-to-ground missile, while the -3 and -4 lacked this capability. The -1 and -3 models had a single display, while the -2 and -4's had dual displays for use in the two seater F-5F."

http://dbpedia.org/page/AN/APQ-159

Edited by LazerPotatoe

LP

modules:

F5-E / A4-E / A-10A / AJS-37 / SA-342 / UH-1H / Ka-50 / Mi-8 / CA

would buy:

OH-58 /AH-64A / AH-1 / Sepecat Jaguar / F-111

I'd like to see a refuelling probe too. Perhaps for the purists it could be added as an option in the "special" tab?

:thumbup:

Didn't figure anything. Just stating that 'E-3" is not specific enough to describe all sub-variants and several configurations may be available under the 'E-3' category. Namely the batch of US F-5E-3 with different radar, avionics, instrumentation layout etc. But this will lead nowhere of course. Enjoy, have fun.

No, sorry. I meant that I figured an E-3 was the same F-5E-3 as the others. Usually the sub number indicates a specific config. At least I'm used to that. So I truly meant thank you for your research.

Not sure if this helps...

"An optional electro-optical mode presents on the cockpit display video information such as that obtained

from the Maverick air-to-surface missile. The image is made up of 16 shades of grey and can be expanded by a factor of two if required. "

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1979/1979%20-%201126.PDF

"It was initially offered in four separate models with the same radar electronics, but different displays. The APQ-159-1 and -2 models used a display that could operate in television mode to operate the AGM-65 Maverick air-to-ground missile, while the -3 and -4 lacked this capability. The -1 and -3 models had a single display, while the -2 and -4's had dual displays for use in the two seater F-5F."

http://dbpedia.org/page/AN/APQ-159

Thank you for posting this. Mavs on the F5E would make it easily my fav jet next to the Viggen.

• ED Team
16 shades of grey

Only sixteen? :book:

I may confused you by refering to "original", I meant "made for US use, not for sale", something like this.

As you may know, we now are busy with ED on Hornet production, but after some degree of it's completeness we will discuss about adding new options to F-5E, though I can't promise that any will be added. And IF any new option will be added, it will be optional :music_whistling: