DCS Menu Nav - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: How useful would menu navigation (Up/Down/Select/Back) hotkeys be to you?
VERY - As a heavy HOTAS and/or VR user, this would be a big help! 92 75.41%
KINDA - It'd be nice to have but not that big of a deal. 23 18.85%
NOT AT ALL - Don't really see the need for anything beyond what we already have. 7 5.74%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
JLX

Default DCS Menu Nav

The "O" in HOTAS stands for ON. But, navigating the DCS Radio/Comm menu requires you to take your hands OFF the stick (especially inconvenient in VR) to either:
  • Use the F1-F12 keys on the keyboard, or
  • Reach for your mouse and click on the entry
There are no internal DCS hotkey entries for navigating the radio menu and F1-12 are also used for changing views, making common workarounds cumbersome and often needing 12 button assignments. If you're not a fan of talking to your computer (e.g. Voice Attack) then perhaps this utility will be of help to you.

DCS Menu Nav is a simple program that generates F-Key presses with onscreen and audible indicators to help you navigate the radio/comm menu with your joystick. Needing only 4 hotkeys that you can assign to a single hat switch, it makes menu operations in DCS much easier for HOTAS users.

Hopefully, in the future these hotkeys will be added directly into DCS and this utility won't be needed. Until then, it get's the job done.

WHAT'S NEW?

Audio cues have been added to v1.2. They are on by default but can be disabled in the INI.

As the overlay doesn't appear in VR (only tested with Vive), the new audio cues should be a good (perhaps better?) alternative to the on-screen indicator when in VR.

CHANGE LOG

1.0 ( 2017.05.10 )
  • Initial Version

1.1 ( 2017.06.12 )
  • Autohide after timeout interval (in milliseconds) 0 = Disabled
  • Selector hides automatically when F12 (Exit) menu option selected.

1.2 ( 2017.12.08 )
  • Audio cues added to address overlay not showing in VR.
  • No longer sends F12 (to close DCS comm menu) when indicator is hidden as if not in sync, it can send an unwanted F12 view change.

Please check out the included READ ME for more details.

I'll post any updates to this thread. So subscribe to it if you want to be notified.

Download v1.2 here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCS Menu Nav.png
Views:	3755
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	161966  

Last edited by JLX; 12-08-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Update to version 1.2
JLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:06 AM   #2
Haukka81+
Posting Rights Suspended

Awesome.

Easy to use

Sent when im drunk with my iphone near me

Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
zaelu
Veteran

Very good!!

Any chance for a modification of this so each final command can be assigned to an individual joystick button?

I know is the complete opposite ut maybe is not difficult.

My aim is to have virtual joystick buttons that are assigned to final commands and those buttons (single virtual buttons) be activated by voice commands.

So people could put some or all commands to voice commands but without the complete hassle the current menu navigation is.

So if I just want the commands for ground crew and 1st wingman to be on voice commands it would be easiest.

Thank you!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
JLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
Very good!!

Any chance for a modification of this so each final command can be assigned to an individual joystick button?

I know is the complete opposite ut maybe is not difficult.

My aim is to have virtual joystick buttons that are assigned to final commands and those buttons (single virtual buttons) be activated by voice commands.

So people could put some or all commands to voice commands but without the complete hassle the current menu navigation is.

So if I just want the commands for ground crew and 1st wingman to be on voice commands it would be easiest.

Thank you!
Hi @zaelu,

Are you using Voice Attack for your voice recognition? If so, what you want to do is already possible and quite easy to do.

If you're not familiar with setting it up, this video might help. Or, you may want to check out something like VIACOM if you haven't already and want something more full featured.

If you're not using Voice Attack (Highly recommended and worth every penny) and just want to map a sequence of key-presses to a single joystick button as you mentioned. You could use AutoHotKey (Also excellent and what I used to make my utility). What you want to do could be done in AHK with a single line. For example:

Code:
Joy2::SendInput, \{F1}{F2}{F3}...
I made DCS Menu Nav to be:
  • Quick & simple to setup and use.
  • Be general purpose and not require "knowledge" of the existing menu structure. This is so it will work even with custom/unknown menu items that a mission designer might insert or if the menus change in a future version of DCS.
  • Can be easily activated/deactivated on the fly so the F-Keys don't trigger view changes by accident.
  • Has an on-screen visual aid.
  • Only need a single 4-way hat switch rather than a separate button for each F-Key.
  • Doesn't require voice (for those late night flights ;-)

I couldn't find a good solution for these requirements which is why I rolled my own. But, for what you are trying to achieve, I think you may be best served by Voice Attack.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by JLX; 05-11-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
Sgt_Baker

Great work!

Worth pointing out how to set up an additional mod key such that fully-saturated joystick/throttle setups such as the Warthog HOTAS can easily utilise this.
UltraMFCD - https://ultramfcd.com - Click, drag and resize display exports in real-time. 2017-05-31: New 2.7.1 Beta with kneeboards and other fixes here. (Mirage, Viggen, Gazelle & Mig-21 coming soon)

Please submit bug reports at http://forum.ultramfcd.com

Video Demo:
Spoiler:
Sgt_Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
joey45
Veteran

If ED can do this it'll be great.
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
Please send all hate mail to No11
New boats and buildings uploaded..
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:29 AM   #7
uscstaylor

Nice Work man

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Spoiler:
Gigabyte Z-270X G7 Motherboard, Intel i7- 6700K @ 4.2 Ghz, Water Cooled | 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD l 32gb Cruicbal Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400 Mhz l Gigayte GeForce GTX 1070 Xtreme video card | TM Warthog HOTAS+ Extension|T-Rudder Pedals Mk. III |Track IR5 Pro| Windows 10 64 bit
uscstaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
JLX

Tnx for the kudos, guys. Glad to see there are a few out there who can benefit from this as well.

@Sgt_Baker: Good idea. I assume that anyone who is very HOTAS focused (and thus a likely candidate to use DCS Menu Nav) would already be familiar with modifiers.

However, for anyone who is not familiar with modifiers, I highly encourage you to look into them as they vastly increase the utility of your HOTAS. I use 4 modifiers myself but even using just one will double your available buttons.

Quote:
MODIFIERS (From pg.24 of the DCS User Manual)

Modifiers usually use a key or button combination with Shift, Ctrl, or Alt (by default) or any custom keys assigned to act as a modifier. For example, you can assign any joystick button as a modifier and use it to expand the available joystick’s commands that can be assigned to your input device (i.e. Ctrl + T).

By default, several Modifiers are included in the Modifiers window: LALT, LCTRL, LSHIFT, MOUSE_BTN_3, RALT, RCTRL, RSHIFT, and RWIN. However, by pressing the ADD button below the Modifiers list window, you can also create your own.

From the ADD MODIFIER panel, first select the device you wish to set the modifier from. This could range from a keyboard, to a mouse, to a joystick or a throttle. Once the device is defined, select the specific key or button on the device from the Select Modifier Button field. Once complete, press the OK button to save your new Modifier and it will be displayed in the Modifier list window.

To remove a modifier, select it from the window and then press the REMOVE button. With at least one modifier in the list, you can now assign a modifier to any Action from the Add Assignment Panel.
I'll add a blurb to the included READ ME too.

Last edited by JLX; 05-12-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
Verde

Hi guys! I have problem with this mod! Cannot make it work! So as I see in INI file buttons are perfect for (warhog) stick buttons with break leaver as modifier right? I extracted those 4 files in certain directoy (not DCS one). Now before launching dcs i launch script, then in game i put on commm menu but then nothing... joystick buttons do nothing with menu? Have I missed smth? BTW I am using CV1 if it does matter!

Last edited by Verde; 05-13-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
JLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde View Post
Hi guys! I have problem with this mod! Cannot make it work! So as I see in INI file buttons are perfect for (warhog) stick buttons with break leaver as modifier right? I extracted those 4 files in certain directoy (not DCS one). Now before launching dcs i launch script, then in game i put on commm menu but then nothing... joystick buttons do nothing with menu? Have I missed smth?
Hi Verde,

DCS Menu Nav doesn't automatically become visible when you activate the comm menu. It becomes visible when you press the joystick button combo that you set in the INI file (BtnToggle + any modifiers).

If you'd like them to toggle on/off together (which is very handy) you need to set the Toggle action button (and any modifiers) in the INI file to the SAME BUTTONS assigned to the radio trigger (or comm menu) in DCS. If you look in the READ ME file, you'll see I mention this under the TIPS section.

That said, if they are set differently to what is set it DCS, that's ok too. But you need to use the buttons set in the INI toggle it on/off manually after activating the comm menu as you usually do.

If that is still not working (as you mentioned) then perhaps the default modifier (button 4) is NOT the brake lever but the "pinky" button. I use a CH Combatstick and don't have access to a Warthog stick. So, I can't confirm which button is #4 on the Warthog (perhaps one of you Warthog owners can help here?) But, from pics I'd seen online, it looked like the button mapping is similar on both sticks which would make button #4 = pinky.

At any rate, please double check the button assignments, set them to what you prefer, and try again.

If you have any more trouble. Please post again and I'll try and help you out further.

Good luck!