UH-1 highly recommended for VR

Wolf8312

Wow this module has definiately confirmed me as a helicopter man above planes or Jets.

I was surprised by how easy I find the UH-1 to fly after all the horror stories but I guess its just practice with the black shark. That said I dont know although landing is still not perfect the actual flying just feels very controllable and I'm wondering if that is because of the UH-1 VR implementation is giving me a better sense of scale than the blackshark especially on account of such greater visibility of the floor and wider world around me.

Co-pilots hilarious as well when I look to my side and realize he's been silently pumped full of lead.... Nooooooooooooo! Instead of stoping immediately to get Barney medical attention however naturally as you would, I go on with the mission and after the young punks who shot him. It's what he would have wanted!

I dont really know how its possible, but everything seems to look better in the Huey in VR, I think its the wider view, but also the cockpit is nicer to look at than the BS.

I dont really like killing the immersion by switching from pilot to pilot, but its incredibly cool to be able to take charge of the machine gunner. I think what I love most though is that it suits how I like to fly, theres no homing missiles or complex weapons so you have to sneak up on your enemy and surprise him, which means going in low and peak-a-booing him.

Its just action all the way but this makes even flying to the target fun. I think with helicopters in comparison to planes I just have way more fun in a gaming sense, playing target practice with the enemy, and seeing how far I can push my luck! just purely great fun!

I love the simple weapon systems which is amazing really because a few months before I was avoiding the Huey on account of its dumb ordnance and WS's being so rudimentary!

I gush about every module I buy with DCS, but trust me guys the Huey is a special one- espescially in VR!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Wolf> you're not alone. I consider flying the Huey to be THE experience to best show off VR. I have other games including Asseto Corsa, Elite and various other aircraft in DCS, but the Huey is simply awesome.

For all that, fancy digging out my KA50 to practice a bit on it. Could be a laugh to brew up a few Panzers with it in Normandy.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Wolf> you're not alone. I consider flying the Huey to be THE experience to best show off VR. I have other games including Asseto Corsa, Elite and various other aircraft in DCS, but the Huey is simply awesome.

For all that, fancy digging out my KA50 to practice a bit on it. Could be a laugh to brew up a few Panzers with it in Normandy.

Yeah there's no doubt about it the KA-50 is a brilliant module and it is great to have such a multi purpose single pilot helicopter where you can go it alone. I think I have 7 modules altogether now and although I have learnt some better than others (KA-50 the most) I have never regretted a single purchase, which is fantastic when considering these days in gaming almost every game I buy ends up feeling like a bit of a waste. I don't regret buying the VIVE one little bit either and when I'm flying the huey in VR will often tell myself how lucky I am to be doing so! Can't wait to show my father in a few days when he visits, he doesent know I bought a jet seat either so I'm not going to tell him and have it under a blanket so when he starts flying in VR he will get a surprise! Jealous really as I know from my first VR experience noobs get a much greater sense of actually being there, as it turns the stomach and really tricks the mind into feeling the vertigo at first.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Try the Mi-8, its cockpit is a flying cathedral's interior through VR

Yeah, and it is like flying a cathedral compared to the Huey too...:tomato:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I fly choppers almost exclusively and that moment you load up with the rift on for the first time :notworthy: Priceless.

It was almost like I had 300 hours in an amiga 80's retrosim instead of DCS UH-1h.

The scale of other aircraft when flying formation the feeling of being in the world of DCS not playing it. Yeah DCS world and its choppers are pure joy with the rift roll on Normandy and my RMA'd rift:)

• Like 1

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you really want your socks blown off, then try the Huey over night time Las Vegas.

My night fps was even better than day, for what ever reason.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Try the Mi-8, its cockpit is a flying cathedral's interior through VR

I do have the Mi-8 just havent got round to trying it out yet its sitting in my library but somehow the Huey was more enticing!

------------

If you really want your socks blown off, then try the Huey over night time Las Vegas.

My night fps was even better than day, for whatever reason.

Interesting observation, I just loaded up 2 to try that and whereas I get 45 fps in 1.5, it drops to single figures when I tried your suggestion. I'll look again at my settings in 2 to see if that's the problem.

I was actually going to start a similar thread yesterday. I've had the Huey for ages but never really got round to flying it (exclusively I fly the Mirage). So when I strapped into the Huey a few days ago it was totally awesome, the scale, the easy of flying (I don't know any of the systems yet) was a great experience. BUT, I get really bad nausea with it!! Not sure what it is, but after an hour or so, I feel ill for literally hours afterwards, something I don't get at all with the jets or the spitfire even when dogfighting. I guess I need to build up some tolerance to flying helis.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I put my buddy in my Rift sitting in my haptic feedback chair. Set the Huey for auto start. He near crapped his pants.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I was actually going to start a similar thread yesterday. I've had the Huey for ages but never really got round to flying it (exclusively I fly the Mirage). So when I strapped into the Huey a few days ago it was totally awesome, the scale, the easy of flying (I don't know any of the systems yet) was a great experience. BUT, I get really bad nausea with it!! Not sure what it is, but after an hour or so, I feel ill for literally hours afterwards, something I don't get at all with the jets or the spitfire even when dogfighting. I guess I need to build up some tolerance to flying helis.

I can understand that, as the helis fly in a very different way to fixed wing, there's a lot more swooping around. I love the Huey in VR, but I took it fairly slowly at first, 10-15min at a time and got used to it. The second I felt any nausea I would take a break. Doing that I've barely had any VR barfage up to now.

Also, I would imagine that if you took a real Huey out for an hour the first time and did some crazy stuff, you would be looking for the sick bag, so in that respect it's probably quite realistic. At least in DCS you can press esc. and let the guts settle a bit.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Well, i cant anymore to get nausea no mater what i do. maybe tolerance is just so high after long play. But in same time best "im in helo/jet feeling is Faded away" my brains know that i sit in chair or something :(

Sent when im drunk with my iphone near me :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try to play a replay track and sit in the pilot seat view to watch it. When the camera moves in a way your head doesn't, gets me every time.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Try to play a replay track and sit in the pilot seat view to watch it. When the camera moves in a way your head doesn't, gets me every time.

Or play some minecraft with mouse control :D

But when i control my head i get zero bad feelings anymore in dcs. Hell my brain can even survive low fps like 30fps atw or not :)

And when i first tryed Oculus i was really sick from 15min game.

So there is hope, just fly more to get your VR feets (not mean to you, just for all motion sick people)

:)

Sent when im drunk with my iphone near me :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've never played anything fps-like in VR, they do say that's the worst of all, but there is little opportunity to test that out as most titles seem to have already chosen to not have that kind of movement. There must be something about having a still cockpit like the Huey around you that helps to avoid nausea.

I've tried Mission:ISS (which I would highly recommend) and that has completely weightless disembodied movement, and it's fine in terms of nausea for me, but in real life I'm terrible for motion sickness. To be honest, I hate flying in real life, but absolutely love it in simulators.

I've never played anything fps-like in VR, they do say that's the worst of all, but there is little opportunity to test that out as most titles seem to have already chosen to not have that kind of movement. There must be something about having a still cockpit like the Huey around you that helps to avoid nausea.

Most handle teleportation (Robo Recall) well. Games with huds, cockpits, helmets, etc also help. Many get used to the full motion of a FPS and then want it as a choice over teleporting in games. VR sickness like motion sickness can be overcome by most sufferers, in time. The main thing is to stop when it's detected and build up a tolerance slowly. I suspect those of us who have be flying sims aerobatics for years have less problems than others. I am happy that it doesn't affect me at all. A slight twinge first day I got the Rift.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I agree, if you are used to flying, driving, fps type experiences, I don't think it's such a big deal. I had a friend back in the day who used to get really sick playing quake on a 15" crt monitor. I tried the Deus Ex VR 'experience', which had proper fps type movement, albeit at a walking pace, and that was fine.

If I play a DCS replay track though in the rift, as soon as it starts, because it records all your head movements, it feels bad to me. I don't think the Huey is any better or worse than other modules, the Spitfire does this to me also, but if the replay camera moves without you wishing to, it can be a bit barfy. If the DCS replays just played the movement of the aircraft, it would be fine. Project cars replays in VR are great, as it just feels like going along for a passenger ride, in VR in the replay you can look where you want.

I agree, if you are used to flying, driving, fps type experiences, I don't think it's such a big deal. I had a friend back in the day who used to get really sick playing quake on a 15" crt monitor. I tried the Deus Ex VR 'experience', which had proper fps type movement, albeit at a walking pace, and that was fine.

If I play a DCS replay track though in the rift, as soon as it starts, because it records all your head movements, it feels bad to me. I don't think the Huey is any better or worse than other modules, the Spitfire does this to me also, but if the replay camera moves without you wishing to, it can be a bit barfy. If the DCS replays just played the movement of the aircraft, it would be fine. Project cars replays in VR are great, as it just feels like going along for a passenger ride, in VR in the replay you can look where you want.

If you switch to F2 view and then back to F1 the head movement from the rift is gone and you can then enjoy the ride. 1 thing I enjoy doing with the huey is get up above 3-400 ft and set it into level autopilot then get out of your chair and sit furthur back (our sofa is behind my PC chair) you can open the doors and sit in the cargo space looking out. Some clever manoeuvring can also let you sit with your legs out of the door :thumbup: I also like parking on a high building in Vegas and get out the chopper to look around. Hold onto something though or accidents may occur :helpsmilie:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you switch to F2 view and then back to F1 the head movement from the rift is gone and you can then enjoy the ride. 1 thing I enjoy doing with the huey is get up above 3-400 ft and set it into level autopilot then get out of your chair and sit furthur back (our sofa is behind my PC chair) you can open the doors and sit in the cargo space looking out. Some clever manoeuvring can also let you sit with your legs out of the door :thumbup: I also like parking on a high building in Vegas and get out the chopper to look around. Hold onto something though or accidents may occur :helpsmilie:

I knew about the F2->F1 thing but gotta try some of this other stuff. I did something similar in Elite Dangerous walking around the cockpit.

My night fps was even better than day, for what ever reason.

You werent kidding! Socks blown clean off! Best time was around 4 in the morning in the summer time, as it starts to catch the sunset after a while! Man its almost perfect looks and feels so authentic!

Highly recommended with a jet seat and air conditioner blowing in your face too. Might sound strange the air conditioner, but its amazing how much more real it makes VR feel as for some reason it makes the virtual world in front of you actually feel as if its there!

------------