Thrustmaster TARGET crashes when stopping a script

So, I know this isn't the Thrustmaster forum. However, it is a very common problem and DCS certainly sees a lot of the Warthog and other Thrustmaster devices.

Do you experience a problem when the Thrustmaster TARGET Software stops a script? Does it prevent your computer from successfully shutting down or restarting normally without having to press the reset switch? Have you spent hours on forums and testing different solutions your self?

ALAS!!!! I have found the solution. I too have been dealing with the same issue. However, the problem isn't directly Win 10 or TS causing the problem. It's actually the Thrustmaster. Now, before we I tell you what to do, confirm the same symptoms. I was also noticing a coincidental timing between TARGET and TS. However not as frequent, I have been able to reproduce the issue without the use of TS. So, here are the steps:

1. Start the TARGET

2. Run Script

3. Stop Script until it fails/freezes

4. Open Task Manager

5. Navigate to "Details"

6. Sort by author/maker? (forgive me I'm at work while writing this and therefor don't have WIN10 to give exact verbiage)

7. IF, the issue is the same as mine you should see 2 services from Thrustmaster

- FAST Service

- DeviceManagementApp< this is the criminal who must hang for his crime against the SIM community

If you attempt to stop this service, you will find that Access Denied slaps you in the face. This is the same service that is preventing safe restart/shutdown of our beloved SIM portals of joy. (or anger depending on how good you are) Next, we will discuss what and why.

What is it?

The purpose of this little devil is to reallocate the Thrustmaster USB devices back into individual units once the Script is stopped.

Why is it being so mean to me?

Essentially, it's not. My assumption is that this USED to be a required application. When it works correctly, you will see this service start and then immediately stop and disappear from the list. The problem is Win 10 already understands how to reassociate the devices once the script is stopped. So, its basically a race between WIN 10 and Thrustmaster on who will complete the task first. When Windows wins the race, the service hangs and thus our headache has arrived. When Thrustmaster wins, all runs as designed.

What is the damn solution, already!?!?!?!

Navigate to Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\x64 and find the DeviceManagementApp and..............................

DELETE IT!!!!!!!

ALL works well and the SIM world involving the Thrustmaster products resumes its enjoyment to the fullest!.

Good Luck and hope this helped!

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

Too bad it's windows 10 only. I'd love to get rid of FAST altogether, but I run Win7 on my gaming rig.

It's only the DeviceManagementApp that can be removed... still need the TARGET software for key mapping

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

Hey, Pac-Man:

Nice detective work. I usually use the script version of Target (vs GUI) but I've had this happen when I do use the GUI as well. I also seem to have issues getting it to "pulse" a DX button properly through the Target GUI - best answer is not to use pulse for DX buttons. (I was fixing a profile someone else wrote).

Either way, I've shot a message to TM about this issue and referenced your thread here. Dev team already responded that they'll look into it.

T

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

I've had this problem since Nov, 2016. I reported it then and Thrustmaster acknowledged it was a problem. Still haven't seen any resolution from them but hopefully they will do something about it soon. Deleting the DeviceManagementApp as recommended here solved the problem for me which is good.

Thanks for this, Pac-Man! I had found that stopping a profile by right-clicking the app in the toolbar and selecting "close window" would usually work, but not always. Good to learn why this is happening and very happy for a solution. Rep inbound.

dcs_sig.jpg

• 1 month later...

Possible resolution to the main problem in the thread....

In the Target folder, where the DeviceManagerApp is - try setting that (and each other) exe in that folder to run as administrator. One our team members has been having ridiculous issues with Target lately and that solved it completely for her.

right click it, properties, compatibility, run as administrator. (That's Win7 - don't have a Win10 in front of me at the moment but I'm sure it's similar)

T

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

• 2 weeks later...

Do you experience a problem when the Thrustmaster TARGET Software stops a script?

Does it prevent your computer from successfully shutting down or restarting normally without having to press the reset switch?

Have you spent hours on forums and testing different solutions your self?

Yes, Yes & YES..

Thanks Pac-Man for posting - sorted - profile changing on the fly now works and no more W10 hanging on closure...

SIGBLOCK.png