Ailerons extremely draggy - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Pocket Sized+
Posting Rights Revoked

Reputation power: 0
Pocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nice
Default Ailerons extremely draggy

I am currently running 1.5.6 update 2. It's also present in 1.5.5 and 1.5.4.

Problem: Ailerons seem to create a tremendous amount of drag when deflected.

Replication: Accelerate to 600-800 kmh at low altitude and stabilize your airspeed. Do a full deflection aileron roll and note how much airspeed is lost almost instantly. The amount of drag is comparable to extending the airbrake!

Does anyone know of this is accurate behavior? It makes high speed dives difficult as countering uncommanded roll results in severe speed loss. The F-86 has much bigger ailerons that deflect further but they don't have any noticeable effect on airspeed when used, especially not to this degree.

I will probably upload a video later today replicating the problem.
Pocket Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
Werewolf1025

Reputation power: 3
Werewolf1025 has a spectacular aura aboutWerewolf1025 has a spectacular aura aboutWerewolf1025 has a spectacular aura aboutWerewolf1025 has a spectacular aura about

Alright after you brought this up I did some testing of my own. Your results seem similar to mine, the drag produced by even the slight movement of the Ailerons on the Mig-15bis seems massive. In the video below I demonstrate this and compare it to the similar F-86, an aircraft with larger ailerons. The Mig demonstrates a loss of +80kts in a high speed roll while the Sabre would appear to actually gain speed in some instances.

Werewolf1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #3
SeaQuark

Reputation power: 5
SeaQuark has a spectacular aura aboutSeaQuark has a spectacular aura aboutSeaQuark has a spectacular aura aboutSeaQuark has a spectacular aura about

Yikes, that just doesn't seem right. Hope this gets looked at soon.

Check out my MiG-15 vs F-86 Multiplayer Server
Join the Discord channel today!
SeaQuark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
Pocket Sized+
Posting Rights Revoked

Reputation power: 0
Pocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nice

Holy crap, I knew the drag was bad but I had no idea it was THAT significant.

If/when this gets fixed, I wonder how the "balance" between the MiG and Sabre will be effected? It seems like they're pretty even in game despite the MiG having to deal with such a massive handicap.
Pocket Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
Schmidtfire

Reputation power: 6
Schmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura about

Wow. That definitely looks like a bug! Hope that it gets reported and fixed soon.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
PilotMi8
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 106
PilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf1025 View Post
Alright after you brought this up I did some testing of my own. Your results seem similar to mine, the drag produced by even the slight movement of the Ailerons on the Mig-15bis seems massive. In the video below I demonstrate this and compare it to the similar F-86, an aircraft with larger ailerons. The Mig demonstrates a loss of +80kts in a high speed roll while the Sabre would appear to actually gain speed in some instances.
Thanx, guys! We will check it out!
PilotMi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 AM   #7
Werewolf1025

Reputation power: 3
Werewolf1025 has a spectacular aura aboutWerewolf1025 has a spectacular aura aboutWerewolf1025 has a spectacular aura aboutWerewolf1025 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMi8 View Post
Thanx, guys! We will check it out!
Hope it's an easy fix for you guys, best of luck keep us posted.
Werewolf1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:50 AM   #8
javelina1

Reputation power: 20
javelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, good find. thanks for the post.

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
gulredrel

Reputation power: 4
gulredrel is on a distinguished road

Did a quick flight yesterday. No joy to fly at the moment. Doing two aileron rolls slows you down faster than airbrake usage.
gulredrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
PilotMi8
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 106
PilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud ofPilotMi8 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Sized View Post
I am currently running 1.5.6 update 2. It's also present in 1.5.5 and 1.5.4.

Problem: Ailerons seem to create a tremendous amount of drag when deflected._
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulredrel View Post
Did a quick flight yesterday. No joy to fly at the moment. Doing two aileron rolls slows you down faster than airbrake usage.

fixed it! But probably in the FRIDAY-update it fix will not be included
PS. WILL BE included!))

Last edited by PilotMi8; 05-24-2017 at 11:42 AM.
PilotMi8 is offline   Reply With Quote