Force Feedback - Which device(s) do you use? - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Force Feedback Device(s) do you use for DCS?
Logitech G940 44 20.37%
MS FFB2 95 43.98%
Other (please specify) 12 5.56%
No FFB Device 73 33.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 30
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Force Feedback - Which device(s) do you use?

Do you use a Force Feedback Device? Which one?

Last edited by Flagrum; 01-24-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Goztreh

Reputation power: 5
Goztreh is on a distinguished road

Voted!
Drop down my warthog for a G940.
It was sleeping on a shelve for 7 years. Works like a charm.

Goz.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Abburo

Reputation power: 12
Abburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really niceAbburo is just really nice

I am using a G940 (I also have spare parts for it). Throttle was tuned with LeoBodnar, pedals were replaced by MFG and the stick was extended by 10 cm.

My son is using a Sidewinder because it have a grip just perfect for small hands. Now, my son is getting bigger so he just received a new toy. Still the Sidewinder will remain around just in case.

My Sidewinder is 14 years old but is still working great.
HW Specs: i7-4770k@4.4GHz,ASUS Maximus VI Formula, 16GB RAM 1866MHz, STRIX OC Nvidia GTX 1080 + Gainward 770GTX, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Kingston SSD 120+240 GB, Logitech G940 + Leo Bodnar BU0836(A and X), MFG Crosswind, G13, T650, TrackIR 5
Abburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
theGozr

Location: France, Montpellier / Berkeley, Cal/Ashland, OR USA
Reputation power: 21
theGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nicetheGozr is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to theGozr Send a message via MSN to theGozr Send a message via Yahoo to theGozr

M$ FFB
Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
golani79

Reputation power: 6
golani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the rough

MS Sidewinder FFB 2
Old 01-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Thadiun Okona

Reputation power: 2
Thadiun Okona is on a distinguished road

FFB2... best all around signal processing and pretty decent guts. For anyone wondering, it's not hard to build a FF stick, the electomechanics are pretty straight forward but without an interface to a game you have nothing. Some titles make this straight forward, others are much harder to get the parameters you need.

Collaborating with Roland van Roy I've designed a tested working circuit http://www.simprojects.nl/images/FF%20idea.JPG for this and have solid designs to work with for mechanicals but it always comes back to interface why I haven't followed through. My scratch system needs to be fed airspeed data for minimum base function.

Any effects beyond variable centering and trim offsets (this is most of the charm) gets into pre-scripted library effects that need individual scripting triggers (stall shakes, landing bumps, machine-gun judder etc) and making those happen is not a trivial affair and it's a black hole of hacking and tuning for every single title you want to use it with.

FFB2 interfaces like a champ, so any further attempts I make with FF will be hacking that brain to run my own hardware/motors, because the brain is the hard part of this. Here's a later project Roland did hacking an MSFFB2 to beef up the drive signals to power his own hardware: http://www.simprojects.nl/ms_siderwinder_ff2_hack.htm
Thadiun Okona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Rowan

Reputation power: 2
Rowan is on a distinguished road

I use a G940, and I cannot see myself changing it anytime soon unless some hardware manufacturer comes out with a new FFB stick.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
56RAF_Talisman

Reputation power: 5
56RAF_Talisman will become famous soon enough56RAF_Talisman will become famous soon enough56RAF_Talisman will become famous soon enough

I use the Saitek cyborg evo force feedback joystick. This stick is regularly available on ebay and I have a stock of about 7 second hand ones in the cupboard, all tested and ready to go. Should last me 15 years or so, or at least until a new type is manufactured by industry.

Also, Gametrix 908 force feedback seat with Simshaker for Aviators Software.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman
56RAF_Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:21 AM   #9
bouncerj21

Reputation power: 6
bouncerj21 is on a distinguished road

Gametrix 908 force feedback seat with Simshaker
bouncerj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 AM   #10
hakjar

Reputation power: 12
hakjar will become famous soon enoughhakjar will become famous soon enoughhakjar will become famous soon enough

I voted "no FFB device" but then I realised I sit on a Gametrix 908 seat with Simshaker software...oops

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC Homebuilt: Intel i7-4790K, MSI-Gaming5, MSI Gaming X 1070, 32 GB DDR3, 240 GB SSD + 220 GB SSD Gaming: TM HOTAS WH, Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 4, Oculus Rift (soon)
hakjar is offline   Reply With Quote