DCS real time chat to compliment forum...

fitness88

I would like to see a real-time chat room set up to compliment the DCS forum and in-flight comms software. As a bulletin board the forums are great and serve a much needed function to help provide information for the masses. As well, the variety of voice communication software for in-flight comms that's being used is also great.

However, there is an equal need to have conversations in a real time chat room that would make quick and convenient a way to discuss issues in minutes that would otherwise take days of posting.

And equally important, it would also serve to allow more people scattered throughout this massive forum to more easily meet each other and therefore make spontaneous multi-play more convenient.

EDIT: I would be happy to set-up a chat room if the idea of one isn't something DCS Forum would be interested in doing...I invite your comments, thank you.

Edited by fitness88

Sometimes I feel that need too, but I have seen groups exclusively dedicated to talk about DCS, softwares like the Discord, which is pretty cool, theoretically that's a nice idea, actually it is, but in practice , at least with me, it didn't work as I expected. I say that because when I was going to join this group, I thought, Well, I will make friends and things, but then you see it's not like that, people start talking about DCS, saying things like, oh I wish I could have this or that, and 10 minutes later they start talking about hardware or other sims. :(

Also, sometimes I feel like I needed something official, from ED, and not from the community, but then you see they don't have time to use it, or they can't moderate the chat because they are busy with the forum and the developments.

However, I find it interesting, the idea of having an official teamspeak or a Discord channel, because of the following reasons:

-When people start playing DCS, what they really need is someone to fly with or someone to explain something (of course you have the forum, but from my understanding it's not the same thing), having a Teamspeak or Discord channel, they would have a place to meet new people and fly etc..

-As I said, you have the forum, which is one of the best places to ask something, but it's not the same thing as having a real time chat, sometimes you need to ask more than one question. And creating a thread isn't exactly what you want/need..

Not sure about you, but sometimes the forum is like the e-mail system, you need to send an e-mail, and then wait for the answer, it's not simple, it's not as practical as the instant chat is.

And yes, there are reasons to do that, and reasons to NOT do that. We have, I believe, a very big community, places like the 104th Teamspeak, where you can join and play with people, groups based on Discord, facebook and etc, you have many and many places, so the idea of having a Teamspeak (just an example) from ED, isn't exatly a NEED, because you have a lot of options..

Anyway, maybe I am exaggerating... because of the coffee.. so please don't mind.. :D :D

But yeah, this is what I feel about that. And you?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to say, as Sith said, that sounds a lot of work to do, and I'm not sure if ED wants to do that! :)

Conclusion, I don't think ED should do that, knowing you have many and many options as I said above.

Edited by Vitormouraa

I'm not very fond of the idea as these real time communications are quite time consuming (ah, those good old college days...).

However, if you want to set this up, it is not a huge task at all. Just point your favourite IRC client to your favourite network (e.g. freenode). join #digitalcombatsimulator channel and start chatting.

Oh, and probably advertise the channel name a bit around the forums so others know where to find you.

Thanks all for the feed back. As gerd mentioned setting up a real time text chat room is not a big deal at all. I've done it on other occasions and it worked well.

As mentioned, I think voice communication has its place for in-flight multi-play, the forum is a great bulletin board to post pertinent info but a real time text chat room can easily eliminate so much of the conversational type posting that goes on and would better serve this type of needed real time communication. Also I would like to make flying with other pilots easier and more spontaneous as it was with HyperLobby...for those who remember.

It doesn't hurt to give this a try so I will host a chat room and hopefully with your feed back modify as needed...I will post the URL shortly.

Edited by fitness88

Telegram messenger is pretty neat and fast. There is a web client if you don`t want to install the app.

I using it everyday and joined a dozens of professional group chats

YouTube || Copycats - technology and product clones (primarily aviation) || dgrigoriev.com
SPECS: i7 8700K (OK 5GHz), 2xGTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, 1Tb SSD, WIN 10, 2560x1440, Oculus Rift CV1 || TM Warthog, TIR5, MFG Crosswind pedals

Looked at Telegram mentioned above and the first thing it asked me was my phone number. Good bye.

fitness88, what kind of trial sites have you tested?

Almost all IRC networks have basic web client available on their front page, so click e.g.

http://www.efnet.org, choose your nick and there you go.

I tried Bravenet but now you need to have the pro version for a chat room and also FreeForums.org but they were just a forum and a couple of others but they didn't let you build your own rooms.

I want it to be web based for easy access [no app needed] also I don't mind signing up and registering it myself but I don't want everyone else to have to...I want it to be click and you're there. As mentioned when I used these sites years back this was available without the need to go Pro.

I'll look at efnet.

What we really need is a text bulletin board system with direct chat, and two 486 computers running the server. As a bonus, an air combat text adventure on the BBS as well. Get your 14.4k modems and DOS's, everyone! We're going back to 1992!

Two enemy MiG-29s approach you while you're on your fighter sweep. What do you do?

[1] Attack directly

[2] Sneak attack

[3] Evade

2_

The MiGs have spotted you and have opened fire before you got the chance. Your countermeasures have no effect, and a missile's proximity fuse detonates only a few meters from your aircraft, damaging your hydraulic systems, and your radar. What do you do?

[1] Continue fighting

[2] Run away!

2_

You have flown low and fast into the mountains, eventually lost to the MiGs, and have returned to base.

Continue playing? [y/n]

N_

Of course, all is in jest. :P

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.