Losing lock when I shouldn't?

gavagai

I'm losing lock against targets that are at a higher altitude and closer than 20nm. It seems to happen when I roll quickly or change heading quickly. Has this bug returned?

This is with both 1.5.4 and 2.0.3.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

If you are inTWS then it is a known.bug that must be fixed by ED..

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

If you are inTWS then it is a known.bug that must be fixed by ED..

Thank you. Your quick responses are much appreciated!:yes:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I lose tracking of the Targets while having them tracked in STT. as soon the Target performs a 90Degree maneuver relative to my position and vector i loose track. It happens in under 20 nm and in both cases targets were flying above me.

It also seems to happens when i peform hard roll maneuvers.

Does somebody else share similiar experience too?

MrBukkake, as said above:

- In TWS, there is a known bug

- In STT, there should not be "undue" lock-loss. As you're not the first to post it happens (but I didn't encounter it), please provide a track?

Note that lock-loss is legitimate = feature, not bug if :

- target is beaming and below radar horizon (not just below you, what counts is what's behind the target, as seen by the radar: clear sky or ground?)

- target is cold and Vr is near zero, particularly at mid-long ranges and using HFR.

++

Az'

spacer.png

I've noticed, for me anyway, that it is aircraft dependent. For example I created a mission intercepting two F-5s. I am always loosing lock with the F-5 normally just before my missile is about to impact. Very frustrating. However changed the F-5s for Mig-21s and have performed multiple successful interceptions.

Mirage is superb btw Razbam, really enjoying all its little features. Love the autopilot landings.

This would to an extent back up what Azrayen said about lock loss being a feature. Because the F-5 has a low cross section so if its beaming maybe it looses lock easier?

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I always wondered ... what is beaming ?

First Doppler effect:

The radar emit on a given frequency.

When the pulse hit a moving target the echo frequency is shifted (higher for incoming and lower for outbound, it's the same when you hear a car passing by).

In look down, the radar uses this frequency shift to differentiate targets from ground clutter.

Beaming is flying perpendicular to the threat radar so your plane's echo is filtered out by Doppler filter along with ground clutter.

But you need to be lower than the threat radar to force it to use Doppler filters.

In NATO terminology:

- beaming describes enemy defensive maneuver

- notching describes allies defensive maneuver

But it's the same maneuver.

Enemy is beaming, your wingman is notching.

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I'll have a quick look at the F-5 with this in mind. Although not modelled in game, the RCS increases significantly against medium aspect aircraft. Lowest RCS is usually lowest close to 45 degrees off nose or tail, and highest on the beam. However medium aspect (beam) causes the most radar problems.

This would to an extent back up what Azrayen said about lock loss being a feature. Because the F-5 has a low cross section so if its beaming maybe it looses lock easier?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda