VRS

Flagrum

I am having troubles to land gently. A few dozend feet AGL I get into a nice hover and adjust the collective so that I gently loose altitude at about 100 m/min. Works well ... until suddenly VRS kicks in - the VSI drops at an instant to 500 m/min or so. Without warning of any kind. I managed to descend decently with more than 100 m/min (~200?) but as stated, even if I carefully manage to stay around 100 m/min, suddenly: VRS!

Now I remembered some earlier bug reports ... and when I read this:

Default weather seems to not produce any ground effect at all, as soon as you select any weather, it's there.

I tried it a few times WITH weather (which I usually don't bother with if I am just quickly testing something). And guess what ... maybe it is the placebo effect at work, but the SA342 handles MUCH more like a helo than ever before when close to the ground. And no unreasonable VRS anymore!

KceuNp1.png

to me it really looks like the SA342 is suffering of the same issue the hawk does - might that be a 3rd party issue or an ED issue.

Can anyone confirm this observation?

I've not really noticed anything. Landing feels the same regardless of weather conditions. (except in a thunderstorm, obv.) This module still needs a lot of work.

I'm not in the loop about the Hawk, what's up with it?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give OH-6 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Interesting I will give this a try, are you seeing this on 1.5, 2.0 or both?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I tried it in 1.5 stable,

At default weather: sea level

With a hover take off, the chopper needed more power to maintain climbing after 10 m height was reached (no drift) and landing from 50m height with the collective set and left to give a constant descent of 50m per min (again no drift) the chopper stopped descending at 10m - 7m and held altitude without collective input so ground effect does seem to be there.

It was the same for other weather settings but with a different power requirement or collective setting depending on temperature.

Higher Altitudes were also roughly the same but requiring more power to hover/climb/descend.

I will try again with forward speed/decelerating.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

From your report ground effect seems correct.

IIRC for the SA-341

• Hover in ground effect flight test

• concrete area
    • headwind below10 knots
    • stabilized hover

[*]Hover out of ground effect test

• Hover O.G.E.
    • headwind below 10 knots
    • Height = 15m (50ft)

Page 244-245 has Hover I.G.E. and Hover O.G.E. post maintenance check sheets. It doesn't give a height for the IGE hover check.

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/france/aerospatiale/as341gazelle/flight-manual-gazelle-sa-341g.html

Edited by Ramsay
couldn't find the ref. for a 5m IGE check.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I have added a track, whilst the ground effect hovers are not so obvious they are there. The deceleration hovers were more important and in the area I think this machine naturally operates.

I do run into problems with the auto pilot and Nadir towards the end and it takes me ages to work out that the autopilot flipped off.

nope.... how the hell do you load tracks or miz files??

Ah it exceeds the limit.

Never mind then. continue as normal.

This uploading of MIZ files is like.... NOT intuitive.

ground affect2.zip

Edited by Rogue Trooper

Hope it works... I should not crash and die at any point.

the chopper is 4 Hots and fuel set to give 100% max take off weight from the get go.

When I fix the PA error I make one more landing and then the trackir view turns left.... yeah I go for a cigarette then.

Edited by Rogue Trooper