LOD Bias

average_pilot

I was noticing that I had to get too close to the cockpit labels to make them readable. Even with the low resolution inherent to VR it felt like textures were blurry until a certain point.

So I thought about trying to force a negative LOD bias, and not only enhances readability in the cockpit, but the menus are also crispier, what makes controls binding less painful in VR mode.

Not a huge difference, but noticeable nonetheless.

I think the answer to allowing negative LOD bias is to set it for DCS.exe in the Nvidia Control Panel under Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias - set to Allow instead of clamp.

For the Original Poster, I wondered if you are already using the Oculus Debug Tool from the SDK to set the Pixel Density Override to 1.500 or so. I find this to be the biggest change to image quality for clarity in DCS. I will try the LOD bias as well.

Thanks

Dave

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Yes, nvidia inspector for nvidia users.

I'm not an expert in AMD but as I'm using a borrowed AMD card right now I had to google "LOD bias amd" and it seems that RadeonPro is the equivalent in AMD, as far as I know.

I have a Vive so I can't try the Pixel Density setting until it's implemented in DCS itself.

So what is Negative LOD Bias?
A game engine does not use full textures always. There are several versions of each texture with decreased resolution to be used depending on the distance of the rendered object to the camera. For example, it doesn't make sense to use a 1024x1024 texture when an object is so far away that only renders to a few pixels of the display.

LOD stands for Level Of Detail. With a negative bias you are forcing the utilization of a higher resolution version of the texture where a lower resolution version would have been picked. The more negative bias the farther an object needs to be from the camera for the driver to pick lower resolution versions of its textures.

Edited by average_pilot
several modifications to improve clarity... I hope