Hawk CTD - Possible Fix Procedure - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-22-2016, 04:53 AM   #1
Charly_Owl

Default Hawk CTD - Possible Fix Procedure

Hullo everyone,

Many of you (myself included) had an important number of crashes with the Hawk EFM in DCS 2.0.2 (NTTR), often at random times. Most of the time, the Crash-to-Desktop occurs with an error message coming from Weather.dll. Apparently, the error comes from a null return from a Hawk controls input lua file, which causes the crashes we're currently experiencing.

This can be caused by a number of things, mainly being that the DCS 2.0.2 updater often takes files directly from DCS 1.5.3 from your hard drive instead of downloading it. For me, it borked my install by mixing EFM files with Pre-EFM Hawk files together. IMO it is a bit out of VEAO's control since the update process is controlled by ED and sometimes can cause unintended regressions, especially during complete code rewrites implemented by third party developers. Since many of us are running both versions of DCS (1.5.3 and 2.0.2), sometimes we can run into issues caused by one version being unintentionally corrupted by the auto-updater. I tried many different things and here is the procedure that eliminated the crashes for me.

***PROCEDURE***

Note: My game install is located on my E:/ drive and my config files are located on my C:/ drive: your installation directories may differ from mine.

STEP 1. Via module manager in DCS 1.5.3 Open Beta, uninstall Hawk.

STEP 2. Via module manager in DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha (NTTR), uninstall Hawk.

STEP 3. Delete ALL files in the following folders in your DCS 1.5.3 Open Beta install:

E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Hawk
E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\DemoMods\aircraft\Hawk
E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk

STEP 4. Delete ALL files in the following folders in your DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha install:

E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Hawk
E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\DemoMods\aircraft\Hawk
E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk

STEP 5. Delete ALL files and folders in the following folder in your DCS 1.5.3 Open Beta "Saved Games" directory (your username directory may differ):

C:\Users\Charles\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\Hawk

STEP 6. Delete ALL files and folders in the following folder in your DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha "Saved Games" directory (your username directory may differ):

C:\Users\Charles\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Config\Input\Hawk

STEP 7. Repair your DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha installation from the START toolbar on your desktop:

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Eagle Dynamics -> DCS World 2 OpenAlpha -> Repair DCS World 2 OpenAlpha

STEP 8. Fire up DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha and install the Hawk module from the Module Manager. Do NOT install the Hawk module from 1.5.3 or any other version of DCS you might have.

STEP 9. Map your controls for the Hawk from the OPTIONS -> CONTROLS menu, as usual.

Hopefully, that should do the trick. Wiping out every trace of the pre-efm Hawk and wiping out all control input files and folders seemed to stop the Weather.dll crash from occuring.

Credits go to Pman and Ells for finding this solution.

Last edited by Charly_Owl; 04-22-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Accipiter

Thanks, I will give this a try. It may explain my CTD's and the mess I am seeing in this aircraft! I am just concerned that the CTD's occurred in 1.5.3, which doesn't get the new flight files from anywhere but ED, or is this not the case?

I take it that if you substitute 1.5.3, in item 7, you may just have the Hawk installed in one version of DCS?

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
westr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly_Owl View Post
Hullo everyone,

Many of you (myself included) had an important number of crashes with the Hawk EFM in DCS 2.0.2 (NTTR), often at random times. Most of the time, the Crash-to-Desktop occurs with an error message coming from Weather.dll. Apparently, the error comes from a null return from a Hawk controls input lua file, which causes the crashes we're currently experiencing.

This can be caused by a number of things, mainly being that the DCS 2.0.2 updater often takes files directly from DCS 1.5.3 from your hard drive instead of downloading it. For me, it borked my install by mixing EFM files with Pre-EFM Hawk files together. IMO it is a bit out of VEAO's control since the update process is controlled by ED and sometimes can cause unintended regressions, especially during complete code rewrites implemented by third party developers. Since many of us are running both versions of DCS (1.5.3 and 2.0.2), sometimes we can run into issues caused by one version being unintentionally corrupted by the auto-updater. I tried many different things and here is the procedure that eliminated the crashes for me.

***PROCEDURE***

Note: My game install is located on my E:/ drive and my config files are located on my C:/ drive: your installation directories may differ from mine.

STEP 1. Via module manager in DCS 1.5.3 Open Beta, uninstall Hawk.

STEP 2. Via module manager in DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha (NTTR), uninstall Hawk.

STEP 3. Delete ALL files in the following folders in your DCS 1.5.3 Open Beta install:

E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Hawk
E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\DemoMods\aircraft\Hawk
E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk

STEP 4. Delete ALL files in the following folders in your DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha install:

E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Hawk
E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\DemoMods\aircraft\Hawk
E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\CoreMods\aircraft\Hawk

STEP 5. Delete ALL files and folders in the following folder in your DCS 1.5.3 Open Beta "Saved Games" directory (your username directory may differ):

C:\Users\Charles\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\Hawk

STEP 6. Delete ALL files and folders in the following folder in your DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha "Saved Games" directory (your username directory may differ):

C:\Users\Charles\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Config\Input\Hawk

STEP 7. Repair your DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha installation from the START toolbar on your desktop:

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Eagle Dynamics -> DCS World 2 OpenAlpha -> Repair DCS World 2 OpenAlpha

STEP 8. Fire up DCS 2.0.2 Open Alpha and install the Hawk module from the Module Manager. Do NOT install the Hawk module from 1.5.3 or any other version of DCS you might have.

STEP 9. Map your controls for the Hawk from the OPTIONS -> CONTROLS menu, as usual.

Hopefully, that should do the trick. Wiping out every trace of the pre-efm Hawk and wiping out all control input files and folders seemed to stop the Weather.dll crash from occuring.
Thanks for explaining. Will I need to do the same for DCS world as well as DCS world open beta? (Deleting hawk data)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #4
Pman

Yes all copies of dcs, open beta, open alpha and release.

Pman

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
westr

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Charly_Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
Thanks, I will give this a try. It may explain my CTD's and the mess I am seeing in this aircraft! I am just concerned that the CTD's occurred in 1.5.3, which doesn't get the new flight files from anywhere but ED, or is this not the case?

I take it that if you substitute 1.5.3, in item 7, you may just have the Hawk installed in one version of DCS?

Cheers.
You'll have the Pre-EFM Hawk files installed on 1.5.3 if you do that... which could potentially cause the same issue in the future until the Hawk EFM makes it to 1.5.3.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
too-cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman View Post
Yes all copies of dcs, open beta, open alpha and release.

Pman

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I was able to get it working by deleting the hawk folder in saved games, then remove the hawk folder to desktop from the mods folder, restart the game, close game after restart and put hawk folder back into the mods folder, restart game and re-enter your control setting. TC,
Old 04-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
wolle

I tried this procedure. Unfortunately Hawk still crashes for me on missions put together in the mission editor. But I can fly instant action missions. Any idea why? What is different between instant action missions and simple ME missions (Hawk is only unit on the map)?
Old 04-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #9
rajdary

Funny, I also got to this conclusion, deleting all HAWK traces in both 1.5 and 2.0 and then repair. I also went to the extent as to not accept the torrent download so it goes into the direct DCS server download. I then tried it and no crash but I still get very low FPS even with low cockpit textures.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
Chappy197606

Thanks I'll give it a try, even if my issue is likely not coming from Weather.dll according to Windows logs.

I also have serious CTD problems with the Hawk EFM in DCS 2 Beta. I get very low FPS immediatly after entering the cockpit, it's just unplayable. Then almost after few seconds only, TrackIR software crashes, then DCS crashed to desktop too.

I tried to build a simple mission with only one aircraft (mine) but I still have the same issues.

Absolutely no offense intended and I surely do not want to diminish all the tremendous work that has been done and not to mention the dedication of all the people involved in the development of this module, but for some reason, I have to admit I am very dissappointed with this module so far. I do know 2.0 is still in the Beta phase, but the Hawk EFM is the only module I'm struggling with. All other I got (A-10C, F-86F, P-51) works pretty well in DCS 2/NTTR.

Again absolutely no offense intended, and it's probably just me. Keep it up, folks!

Intel i7-8700 - 6 Cores - 3,2/4,6GHZ / 16GB RAM / KINGSTON A1000 480Gb SSD / NVIDIA GTX 1070 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro
Modules: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, NTTR, Persian Gulf