Hawk in 2.0.2 first impressions - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Schmidtfire

Default Hawk in 2.0.2 first impressions

The EFM is finally here so I decided to test out the new and improved Hawk.
These are my first impressions:

Cockpit model / Textures

A big discussion on the Hawk has been regarding the quality of cockpit textures.
As I looked around the cockpit, Im a lot more happy with what I see. The labels are nice and sharp. Some scratches has been added here and there and It looks great, especially under certain light conditions. There are some rough edges in the cockpit model. The compass and some of the gauges are not completely round, but on the plus side, the framerate is VERY smooth.
Overall, great update. What I would like to see is maybe some reflections and better textures on the ADI's to give it a little more depth. The HUD sight-glass also needs some love and attention, it melts in with the background now. The edges should have some type of darker texture to get a proper 3D-look. I would say that this is key to make the cockpit look up to par with other modules. Overall great job on the textures, realistic, and I like what I saw.

Systems

Don't know much about the systems of the Hawk. I know that radios are not working, tried several times to contact tower and that was a no-go. Some levers are not animated. The ADI's act a bit strange and starts rolling like crazy from time to time. Overall, the aircraft seem work fine, but a couple of instruments might be a bit twitchy.

Sound

We finally got the long awaited sidewinder tone. The volume knob for it does not function properly, but that is no biggie. I like how VEAO uses separate sound files for seek and lock. As a modder, I've already changed the seeker sound to my liking. Overall great job on that!
Sadly no sound from the ADEN pod has been implemented. The engine sound also needs improvement. However, this is going in the right direction and is not a show stopper for me.

FM

At first I thought - "This thing flies like on rails, it must still be the SFM" But as I took it out for a spin, I realized that it was just a very smooth flying experience. Not much in regards of buffeting during hard turns, just very smooth and enjoyable. Flying tree-top level over Las Vegas was ton of fun! Takeoff was incredible easy. Landings a little more challenging.
Without any weapons, this thing is smokin' fast and the smooth handling makes it a very fun plane to fly.

It's great to see the Hawk coming together. I hope the next couple of updates will be just as impressive. I had a lot of fun with it over Nevada. Great job
Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Ells228
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ells228

Many thanks for your feedback, we are looking into most of that.
Aden pod should have sound, well it did last time I tested it, I'll double check that one.
Textures got messed up but will be fixed for the next patch.

Again many thanks for your constructive criticism
Old 04-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
pegleg1972

The engine sounds needs alot of work.Is there a way to add nose wheel steering as other option as the way it is in EFM now i dont care for.Just wondering thanks
Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Justificus

Having not had a lot of time checking out the release of 2.02, I did manage to spend a little time (very little!) with the Hawk and just wanted to jump in hear to offer my congratulations to you guys (VEAO) for finally making it to this point. I know how hard you guys have been trying to get this to us and you finally are there! WHat I saw with the little time I had with it was nice. My only negative at this point is that I noticed that the new cockpit textures drop my FPS when zoomed in on the instruments from the mid-high 50s down to 22fps. It is always 22fps for me for some reason. But other than that, I'm one of the lucky ones that have had no issues with the Huey or Hawk crashing, at least with the custom Nevada mission I've created for myself as that is the only mission I Had time to take up the Huey, Hawk and Mirage up for a quick little test spin to see if I had any of those issues mentioned. Anyway, looking good and keep up the good work!

System Specs:
Spoiler:
i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus Rift, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf
Old 04-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
Pman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg1972 View Post
The engine sounds needs alot of work.Is there a way to add nose wheel steering as other option as the way it is in EFM now i dont care for.Just wondering thanks
Sounds are WIP and are being worked on by our sound engineer.

As for NWS, I am afraid that is gone for good, This is pretty close to the behavior of the real jet

Pman
Old 04-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
Pman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justificus View Post
Having not had a lot of time checking out the release of 2.02, I did manage to spend a little time (very little!) with the Hawk and just wanted to jump in hear to offer my congratulations to you guys (VEAO) for finally making it to this point. I know how hard you guys have been trying to get this to us and you finally are there! WHat I saw with the little time I had with it was nice. My only negative at this point is that I noticed that the new cockpit textures drop my FPS when zoomed in on the instruments from the mid-high 50s down to 22fps. It is always 22fps for me for some reason. But other than that, I'm one of the lucky ones that have had no issues with the Huey or Hawk crashing, at least with the custom Nevada mission I've created for myself as that is the only mission I Had time to take up the Huey, Hawk and Mirage up for a quick little test spin to see if I had any of those issues mentioned. Anyway, looking good and keep up the good work!
Thx for the feedback

Try the medium cockpit setting, the setting to High is really for 6gb GFX cards or really high $1000 cards, medium is great for 99% of users in my experience

Pman
Old 04-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #7
Justificus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman View Post
Thx for the feedback

Try the medium cockpit setting, the setting to High is really for 6gb GFX cards or really high $1000 cards, medium is great for 99% of users in my experience
Thanks, I saw info about that setting in another thread and will try it later tonight. The funny thing was, during lunch I had time to try one of the Hawk's quick missions, the Nevada tour one, and the cockpit fps stayed in line with what else I was seeing just flying around Nevada, never dipped into the 20s despite doing the exact same levels of zoom and looking in the same areas!... Granted, different part of the map from my first test flight, but especially in light of what you just said, I was shocked to see it so silky smooth, other than the very occasional slight stutter that I've always had with this sim to one degree or another regardless of computer power and settings which I've always attributed to stuff being loaded as I move into new parts of the map, etc. Thanks again!

System Specs:
Spoiler:
i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus Rift, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf
Old 04-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #8
xaoslaad

Bombs aren't working well. They drop from one side and then the other and the thing is near impossible to fly level in that situation. Even after one the effect is severe. It would be suicidal to use bombs if it behaved like this in real life...

With regards to the Aden, it seems like when the trigger is pulled a set burst is released rather than for the duration of the trigger pull. Is this correct? Also it seems horribly inaccurate as it pushes the nose down pretty severely and ends up just being a shotgun blast at the ground with all the effect you would expect...

Thanks for the quick fix for the crashes; that is the worst issue right now.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
Ells228
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ells228

When I did a bomb run I didn't notice any severe aircraft movement, what are you using?
Yes losing weight on the wing did have an effect on the flight.

I'll re-check that.
With the Aden yes you will get some nose drop according to our sources.
Again I'll re-check the flight whilst firing.
The Aden firing code is provided by ED.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
Flagrum
Veteran

Those (new?) CBU87 are rocking the plane quite hard.

Also noticed that no single Mk-82 are available - only TERs (and 2 TERs weight A LOT)

edit:
and as we are at right now: the ADEN fires only in full length bursts of 20? 25? rounds. Is that supposed to be like that? Personally I'd prefer to (have the choice to) fire much shorter bursts, i.e. just quickly tapping the trigger. Especially as the ADEN also has quite some kick back which makes it quite impossible to keep a whole burst on target.

Last edited by Flagrum; 04-23-2016 at 07:53 AM.