Alternative TFT Screen for TM MFD Cougar

yipster

Hi,

So I have been trying hard to get a screen added to my TM Cougar MFD setup. There were posts where people are using the Liliput 8” display for this setup. These are great, but I simply can’t find anywhere that sells them to Australia for a good price considering how low the AUD is right now. Buying 2x would easily cost me AU$400+, so I went with an alternative.

My wife found this on eBay LCD board+screen for <AU$100 shipped.

I think it is perfect for my situation, I have 1xDVI and 1HDMI free ports on my graphics card and no need for additional converters or cables. Cheaper alternatives are there with only 1x HDMI.

Power supply was confirmed by the seller that it needs at least 1A 12Vdc supply. I happen to have few spare 1.5A adapters.

Here is the build:

What’s needed: double sided tape or a stick of ‘blu tack’ (really, this is very useful!)

Assembly complete for the screen itself, just plugging in the ribbon cables

p1739095816-4.jpg

Board testing, successful output of image to the screen.

p1684366143-4.jpg

Stick the cable interface board behind the screen, making sure no bend or kink on the ribbon cable.

p1753505370-4.jpg

Undo the ‘mounting plate’ behind the MFD. Stick the MFD to the screen and adjust screen according to your liking.

p1723372520-4.jpg

Next, stick the mounting plate back onto the back of the screen, place the LVDS board on the base of the MFD base plate. Fix the MFD USB cable so it does not push the LVDS board. I have also used large blobs of blu tack on the mounting screw holes of the LVDS board to secure it on to the MFD base plate.

p1636243999-4.jpg

Now the last piece of button PCB goes on to the locking pillars of the MFD, make sure you leave enough clearance for your monitor and power cable there.

And the final result…

p1795242402-4.jpg

I will then add a proper ABS plastic case to the LVDS board but right now the MFD looks almost complete as one single unit with its own display.

After all tested to work with Windows, it is time to work around the DCS monitor setup lua file.

p1804803498-4.jpg

When all works in harmony together, I’m so happy how well this worked out.

p1618477393-5.jpg

I hope this would help people who are looking for a cost-effective solution to adding screens to the MFD Cougar.

:pilotfly:

Edited by yipster

I use 2 of these plugged into a powered USB hub works great. They fit nicely behind the MFD's there is no stutter on maps or radar outputs, they're not too expensive and they are almost plug and play (you just need to install a driver first) very little setup involved. I love 'em

https://www.doublesight.com/product/detail/55.html

I'll try and post pictures later.

SD

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

Hi,

So I have been trying hard to get a screen added to my TM Cougar MFD setup. There were posts where people are using the Liliput 8” display for this setup. These are great, but I simply can’t find anywhere that sells them to Australia for a good price considering how low the AUD is right now. Buying 2x would easily cost me AU$400+, so I went with an alternative.

I found on eBay this development LCD board+screen for <AU$100 shipped.

I think it is perfect for my situation, I have 1xDVI and 1HDMI free ports on my graphics card and no need for additional converters or cables. Cheaper alternatives are there with only 1x HDMI.

Power supply was confirmed by the seller that it needs at least 1A 12Vdc supply. I happen to have few spare 1.5A adapters.

Here is the build:

What’s needed: double sided tape or a stick of ‘blu tack’ (really, this is very useful!)

Assembly complete for the screen itself, just plugging in the ribbon cables

p1739095816-4.jpg

Board testing, successful output of image to the screen.

p1684366143-4.jpg

Stick the cable interface board behind the screen, making sure no bend or kink on the ribbon cable.

p1753505370-4.jpg

Undo the ‘mounting plate’ behind the MFD. Stick the MFD to the screen and adjust screen according to your liking.

p1723372520-4.jpg

Next, stick the mounting plate back onto the back of the screen, place the LVDS board on the base of the MFD base plate. Fix the MFD USB cable so it does not push the LVDS board. I have also used large blobs of blu tack on the mounting screw holes of the LVDS board to secure it on to the MFD base plate.

p1636243999-4.jpg

Now the last piece of button PCB goes on to the locking pillars of the MFD, make sure you leave enough clearance for your monitor and power cable there.

And the final result…

p1795242402-4.jpg

I will then add a proper ABS plastic case to the LVDS board but right now the MFD looks almost complete as one single unit with its own display.

After all tested to work with Windows, it is time to work around the DCS monitor setup lua file.

p1804803498-4.jpg

p1618477393-5.jpg

I hope this would help people who are looking for a cost-effective solution to adding screens to the MFD Cougar.

ilotfly:

The link doesnt work

Have you got a link to the screens? ..or even the name of the screens?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi,

--snippage--

p1804803498-4.jpg

:pilotfly:

Nice find!! The one thing that I did was to cut and paint a thin aluminum/tin sign (For Sale signs, for example) with matte black paint and covered up the excess monitor screen. It's thin enough that you can get it under the MFD. Cheap and (I think) pretty effective. See example below

eInahD3.jpg

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The link doesnt work

Have you got a link to the screens? ..or even the name of the screens?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Link is fixed now.

Or just search for "8inch LCD board" on eBay.

Look for one that your graphic card supports

Nice, very nice!! They look great finished like Hans, you could even make a small panel of push buttons similar to the Cougar to stick on the blanked out bit.

Hmm, not a bad idea. I'd have to reinforce the support of the monitor a bit..but totally doable. :joystick::joystick:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 4 months later...
I use 2 of these plugged into a powered USB hub works great. They fit nicely behind the MFD's there is no stutter on maps or radar outputs, they're not too expensive and they are almost plug and play (you just need to install a driver first) very little setup involved. I love 'em

https://www.doublesight.com/product/detail/55.html

I'll try and post pictures later.

SD

Hi aren't 7'' LCD screens too small for the MFD Cougar ?

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

i put it vertically use two side glue tape on top of Saitek X65 so i can export more on LCDs

check also my setup in signature and

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=118628&d=1434460566

showthread.php?t=144269&page=2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.

Yeah, the 7" will leave a little gap between the bezel of the MFDs and the screen. Not terrible, but it will be there.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i put it vertically use two side glue tape on top of Saitek X65 so i can export more on LCDs

check also my setup in signature and

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=118628&d=1434460566

showthread.php?t=144269&page=2

Another great idea. I'd do mine that way as well, but now that I use the Rift, the screen is kind of a moot point. But buttons, I still like even with VR HMD.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 months later...

How are you getting the MFCD images on to the separate screen? Is it a straight forward configuration in DCS or do you need something like Ultramfcd? I am looking at doing the same thing and also a CDU but I would like to know how to configure the software to drive these screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk