Extra Beacons Mod - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
gospadin
ED Testers Team

Default Extra Beacons Mod

This mod contains a Beacons.lua mod for both NTTR and Normandy on version 2.1.0, to implement a number of currently working VORTAC, VOR/DME, VOR, and TACAN stations, as well as a number of historic and current NDBs in Southern California, Northern Arizona, and Western Utah.

For NTTR, all historic frequencies and identifiers were confirmed by the Western Historic Radio Museum, with documentation at http://www.radioblvd.com.
While a number of Nevada NDBs are no longer in operation (and all are slowly being phased out in the United States), I've implemented them
to give some navigation aids for non-NATO aircraft.

For US NAVAIDs, active NDBs and beacons were located based on data from AirNav's database. This should be accurate within a meter. For European NAVAIDs, I used a mix of web sources. All beacons are placed at ground level (mission editor altitude conversion), ignoring the height of any structure associated with an antenna.

In a few cases, I manually adjusted former/decomissioned NDBs to place them as runway markers. In real life, they may or may not have been
co-located with other navigation equipment.

NTTR Beacons added with this mod:

Modern/Currently Active:
  • VORTAC: BLYTHE, CLOVIS, DRAKE, EDWARDS, EL TORO, FRIANT, HAZEN, HECTOR, LAKE HUGHES, PALMDALE, PALM SPRINGS, PARKER, THERMAL, TUCSON, TUBA CITY, TWENTYNINE PALMS
  • VOR/DME: FLAGSTAFF, PAGE, TULE, VAN NUYS, VICTORVILLE
  • VOR: HOMELAND, RIVERSIDE
  • NDB: CHANDLER, COMPTON, EL MONTE, GEN WILLIAM J FOX, FALCON FIELD, ORANGE COUNTY, PACOIMA, RENO, SALYER FARMS, TOOELE
  • TACAN: China Lake NAWS, Coyote (Twentynine Palms ELF), Fallon NAS, Luke AFB, Michael Army Airfield

Historic:
  • VORTAC: Basecamp AEC (1985)
  • NDB: Basecamp (2009), Cedar City (2006), Dugway PG (2006), Groom Lake (2006), RENO (October, 2013), Tonopah Test Range (2006)

View in mission editor ( version 8 ):

Normandy beacons added with this mod:

Modern/Currently Active:
  • VORTAC: CAMBRAI EPINOY, EVREUX FAUVILLE, KOKSY
  • VOR/DME: ABBEVILLE, CHARTRES LA LOUPE, DINARD, EPERNON, GUERNSEY, JERSEY, LQN, BERRY HEAD, DOVER, GOODWOOD, LYDD, MAYFIELD, MIDHURST, OCKHAM, SOUTHHAMPTON
  • VOR: BEAUVAIS, BIGGIN, BOULOGNE SUR MER, CAEN CARPIQUET, DEAUVILLE, NORMANDIE, DIEPPE, L`AIGLE, MONTDIDIER, PONTOISE, ROUEN, SEAFORD
  • NDB: ALBERT BRAY, AMIENS-GLISY, BEAUVAIS, BLACKBUSHE, BOURNEMOUTH HURN, BREST, BREST GUIPAVAS, BRISTOL, CAEN CARPIQUET, CALAIS, CHERBOURG, DIEPPE ST.AUBIN, DINARD, EPSOM, FAIROAKS, GUERNSEY, JERSEY, LANDIVISIAU, LANNION, LASHENDEN/HEADCORN, LE HAVRE, LE TOUQUET, LEE ON SOLENT, LILLE, LYDD, MANSTON, MERVILLE CALONNE, MERVILLE, MIDDLE WALLOP, PLYMOUTH, ROCHESTER, SAINT BRIEUC, SAINT INGLEVERT, SHOREHAM, SOUTHHAMPTON, VILLACOUBLAY, YEOVIL

Historic:
  • NDB: NORTH FORELAND (1986)

View in mission editor ( version 8 ):

Version history:
1: initial list of beacons
2: added Base Camp VORTAC on 113.9MHz, decommissioned ~1985, per http://www.ufomind.com/area51/org/basecamp/
3: re-did conversion of all position information via mission editor scripting, and added a number of additional beacons
4: add EL TORO and COYOTE, fixes for ST GEORGE (channel), VICTORVILLE (callsign), China Lake NAWS (beacon position), Fallon NAS (ID, channel, beacon position), Luke AFB (beacon position)
5: implement Tarres' suggestions to improve navigation on the Ka-50 (eliminate AIRPORT beacon type at non-airport locations, and name all beacons)
6: add a name to the KTNX NDB to improve Ka-50 navigation (missed in v5)
7: update beacon list to work with NTTR 2.0.4 by removing duplicates: DAGGETT, HECTOR, NEEDLES, SILVERBOW, GRAND CANYON, KINGMAN, CEDAR CITY, COLORADO CITY, ST GEORGE
8: added full set of Normandy beacons, updated for 2.1.0
9: update name -> display_name in the beacon lua

Enjoy!
--gos
Attached Files
File Type: zip Extra Beacons Mod_v9.zip (15.4 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by gospadin; 01-28-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: posted v6 of the mod
gospadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
gospadin
ED Testers Team

Updated v2 with BASE CAMP VORTAC on 113.9MHz, decommissioned ~1985
Old 02-13-2016, 01:02 AM   #3
Spetz

Thanks! Appreciated.

i7 7700k, MSI z270 M3 mobo, 16 Gb Ripjaw DDR4 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti, Corsair H100i V2 liquid cooler, Corsair NVMe SSD for OS, 1tb Mushkin SSD for games, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, 5.1 surround, Oculus Rift
Spetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #4
gospadin
ED Testers Team

You're welcome! Just did a ferry flight from Luke AFB to Nellis. =P

Going to go through airnav/skyvector and add a few more VORTACs I think. Been digging a few hours, and can't find the frequencies of some of the older NDBs, so probably will just leave them out.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Ramsay

Thanks, just what was needed (hope ED will make it standard for the NTTR).

Hopefully, ED will do something similar for the Caucus map and add "historical" RSBN beacons in Georgia to match the 1980? L-39/MiG-21.

Just wish there was a way to correct DCS's PAPI lights.
Ramsay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
Cibit
Veteran

Great work mate

Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
gospadin
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibit View Post
Great work mate
Unfortunately, while functional in the radio/nav systems, putting them into beacons.lua doesn't actually make the various VORTAC objects show up on the map. Need something like your mission template to be able to actually "see" the objects.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
gospadin
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
Thanks, just what was needed (hope ED will make it standard for the NTTR).

Hopefully, ED will do something similar for the Caucus map and add "historical" RSBN beacons in Georgia to match the 1980? L-39/MiG-21.

Just wish there was a way to correct DCS's PAPI lights.
My mod is a "hack" as I don't have the core mapping tools to provide exact coordinate conversion. I had to approximate all the positions of objects in-game, since the map is designed in meters of x:y:z for position, but what I had was latitude/longitude/altitude. My conversion is only an approximation to within 1km or so, then hand-tuned where I could.

As to historical Georgian/Russian data, do you have any source information? I wouldn't begin to know how to search in either of those languages.

(BTW, the MiG-21bis has its own, private RSBN implementation done by Leatherneck. It doesn't use any of the "standard" beacons. Are you asking for it to have fewer RSBN stations?)
Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

in export.lua, you can call Ed function to do such conversion and print them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |
| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |
uboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #10
gospadin
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboats View Post
in export.lua, you can call Ed function to do such conversion and print them out
seriously?

holy christ, I spent 5 hours adjusting them by hand

LOL