DCS World and Windows XP

flyermay

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to DCS. I just downloaded DCS: World but I can't get it to run on Windows XP 64bits; tried to install and uninstall twice with no luck.

After starting DCS world, a command window opens with the loader and then I get a "DCS has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.

The multiplayer version directly pops a message saying "the procedure entry point InitializeCriticalSectionEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

Is there any fix to this issue or any other version that would work on Windows XP 64bits? (I downloaded version 1.2.16 of DCS world)

Thanks in advance for your help.

• ED Team

Not sure if anyone has it working with xp, but minimum spec is windows vista for 1.2.16

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows Vista, 7 or 8; CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz; RAM: 6 GB; Free hard disk space: 10 GB; Video: 512 MB RAM card, DirectX 9.0c - compatible; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows Vista, 7 or 8; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 8GB; Hard disk space: 10 GB; Video: Shader 3.0 or better; NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 / ATI 6950 DirectX 9.0c or better; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; DirectX: 9.0C; requires internet activation.

and dcs 1.5 or above Windows 7/8/10

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I notice Vista on the requirements, but before downloading it I've been reading other discussions about running it on XP 32bits, since it is designed for 64bits systems, and they seem to be able to run it -especially on XP 64-. I think they were old threads, so that's why I'm asking which version should I download.

I'd go with 1.2.5 or 1.2.6 on XP,

But you'd be limited to only a few modules.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2548018&postcount=4

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'd go with 1.2.5 or 1.2.6 on XP,

But you'd be limited to only a few modules.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2548018&postcount=4

That's fine; for now I just want to try it, as I've been told it's quite good.

Where can I get the 1.2.5 or 1.2.6 versions? In the download page only the 1.2.16 is available; apart from the 1.5 and 2.0 alphas and betas.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just upgrade the OS? I mean XP isn't exactly new...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Wouldn't it be simpler to just upgrade the OS? I mean XP isn't exactly new...

I don't think I'll ever change XP 64bits for any other OS. Tried Vista and 7 and didn't liked them, and for what I heard many people also didn't like the new ones.

I guess they will end up forcing us to change (there are many like me that like XP), but so far this is the first application that wouldn't go in XP.

Well unrelated to DCS, its a dangerous choice staying on XP as there will be no more security patches...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/end-support-help

• Like 1

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Well unrelated to DCS, its a dangerous choice staying on XP as there will be no more security patches...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/end-support-help

Yes, I heard that the support for XP ended back at the beginning of the year, but so far I keep on getting security updates; both for the 64bits version, and for the 32bits that I have in my bedroom.

If anyone knows of a server or mirror that still has versions 1.2.5 or 1.2.6 please let me know. I'm really looking forward to try this simulator; which I was told is one of the best.

It's time to move on I think. XP was a good OS for its day, but that day has long passed. Windows 7 was the proper successor to it and Win10 is the proper successor to that. Some stuff was shuffled around of course, so you will have to learn where various things are again But the new features and the ability to run programs and hardware made in the last 10 years more than outweighs that minor inconvenience.

I guess they will end up forcing us to change (there are many like me that like XP), but so far this is the first application that wouldn't go in XP.

They already have. :D

Windows XP is limited to DirectX 9.

DCS World 1.5 and 2.0, and the brand new graphics engine, use DirectX 11.

If you ever want to fly DCS in Nevada, or profit from the massive improvements of the new engine, you are therefore forced to upgrade to at least Windows 7 (technically speaking, Windows Vista supports DX11, but DCS 1.5 officially requires at least Windows 7).

Regarding the updates, are you sure there are still security updates for your Windows? Because to the best of my knowledge, these are only available for a few companies that pay heavy fees to get them. And the vulnerability footprint of an operating system that hasn't received any security fixes since April 8, 2014 (by the end of 2015)... would be very generously downplayed by terms like "barn door shaped" or "open invitation". :music_whistling:

I don't think I'll ever change XP 64bits for any other OS. Tried Vista and 7 and didn't liked them, and for what I heard many people also didn't like the new ones.

XP is a terrible OS. Vista 64bit and Windows 7, itself much better than Vista, both blow XP out of the water. They're more stable, quicker, much more automated and look a lot nicer to. I am not a fan of 8.1 but it is pretty much fine with Classic Shell. But even then it is far better than XP.

Try and grab a copy of Windows 7 while you still can. Give it another try. XP is just getting too old for most software/browsers/hardware. Once I got Vista 64 bit many years back I never looked at XP again, and never want to experience the shoddy instability of it again either.

XP is a terrible OS. Vista 64bit and Windows 7, itself much better than Vista, both blow XP out of the water. They're more stable, quicker, much more automated and look a lot nicer to. I am not a fan of 8.1 but it is pretty much fine with Classic Shell. But even then it is far better than XP.

Try and grab a copy of Windows 7 while you still can. Give it another try. XP is just getting too old for most software/browsers/hardware. Once I got Vista 64 bit many years back I never looked at XP again, and never want to experience the shoddy instability of it again either.

Windows XP Pro x64 uses the Windows Server 2003 kernal and code - it isn't really XP under the hood. It had a rough start, but matured into a really nice OS for the technically inclined - I used it for years. I finally ended up replacing it with Windows 7 Pro x64.

You may want to go with Windows 7, which you can enjoy for 6 months or so before upgrading to 10 for free. I prefer 7 to 10, but in a little over 4 years, Windows 7 is going to reach it's end of support from Microsoft. Just skip Windows 8.

Regarding the updates, are you sure there are still security updates for your Windows? Because to the best of my knowledge, these are only available for a few companies that pay heavy fees to get them. And the vulnerability footprint of an operating system that hasn't received any security fixes since April 8, 2014 (by the end of 2015)... would be very generously downplayed by terms like "barn door shaped" or "open invitation". :music_whistling:

I still have my old notebook with XP on it. Every now and then I fire it up when the main rig cannot be used while I need something to connect to the net. 3 weeks ago it did download a bunch of updates, to my surprise. It seems some basic support for ordinary folks is still there.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I just got a security update today. I think it was for Visual C or something like that. But yes, Microsoft keeps on sending security updates for the OS and many XP applications.

I think I have a copy of Vista and 7 somewhere at home, but since I rarely play games (only simulators occasionally) I'd rather try to get version 1.2.5 or 1.2.6 than going through all the trouble of installing a new OS.

Don't get me offensive, but you might heard too much :). Don't bother reading thousands of ranting posts on forums or other comments because these will keep thinks progressing. Latest Win versions are far better then what was some years ago. XP is a legend indeed and we have to read about its greatness from old stories.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Guys you are talking like as if it was ever a good idea to use any Windows when security is your main concern! :megalol:

I have only 2 XP machines left, but I haven't tried to play DCS on them, as I believe even the last batch of v1.2.xy of DCS required some graphic calls and instructions available from Vista onwards. Maybe the older versions works however... might not hurt to give it a try to see how it goes.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

Guys you are talking like as if it was ever a good idea to use any Windows when security is your main concern! :megalol:

I have only 2 XP machines left, but I haven't tried to play DCS on them, as I believe even the last batch of v1.2.xy of DCS required some graphic calls and instructions available from Vista onwards. Maybe the older versions works however... might not hurt to give it a try to see how it goes.

If you want 100% effective computer security, cut the power cords, and bury it in cement. It's the only way to be safe with any OS.

For the most part, being smart about how you use your computer goes much further to keeping your computer secure than anything else.

If you want 100% effective computer security, cut the power cords, and bury it in cement. It's the only way to be safe with any OS.

:thumbup:

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Sorry? what you did not like about Win7 in specific? XD the user interface it's almost the same :lol: the only difference is in the performance! are you eligible for a Win10 update? we are in 2015 afterall

Windows XP is no Longer Supported by Microsoft, why would anyone produce software for it?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs